Against the Giants: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief

Scotley

Hero
Wik turns to face Deacon. "Aye, the giants are a difficult foe that is sure. I never said they were easy. But speak of what you know. The Marauders gave their lives, their homes and their families in this fight. They killed more than a few giants. When nobody else was there to stand against the enemy they fought without supplies, support or training. Maybe they weren't always on the right side of the law, but they were honest and true in this fight. I'd suggest you consider your next words more carefully." His face remains calm and the slight smile does not leave his lips, but his body is tense and his eyes cold.

drothgery

First Post
Gwenn Arellic, human rogue(thief)

"For myself, I have to try. Working alone does not seem prudent, but I would not set those I could count on out of my own resources against the giants either." 'Mari' said.

And I most certainly meant that. I told my people that anyone who could last a minute against me with practice blades was welcome to come. Which settled that rather quickly.

After no one comes knocking at his door, Lucan's panic settles. He wraps his fingers about his rapier's hilt and paces the room. With a flourish, he disguises the rapier among the folds of his cape so that it appears he is completely unarmed. Finally, he removes the chair from its position in front of the door and exits into the hallway.

He edges toward the common room and overhears the sounds of discussion. "Giants?! That's why we're here? To fight the giants? Ye gods."

Lucan bounds swiftly into the room and bows courteously, making special care to keep an eye on Deacon. "Good day, my fine colleagues! Word has reached mine ears that we will be facing down those dastardly giants! Well fine, says I! With a team like this, how could we go wrong? We've even got the cunning Master Ambersharn! His exploits, of course, are quite renowned among my circle of friends and associates!"

tiornys

Explorer
Shortly after Lucan joins the group, a thin, middle-aged human wearing ornate but dusty robes shuffles abstractedly into the chamber from a different corridor. His short brown hair has been slicked down, but bits of hair still stick out in various directions. As he enters the chamber, he pauses, then looks up and around with a disoriented air.

His scan of the chamber halts as he fixes upon the group of adventurers. Expressions of excitement and apprehension cross his face as he stares at the group, his eyes tracing in the fine clothing, armor, and weaponry on display. With a visible swallow, he quickly crosses the room, stumbling over his robe as he goes.

As he nears the group, he opens his mouth as if to say something, but he falters as he catches Wik's tension, and comes to a halt. Mouth hanging open, he stands there awkwardly, looking up at the adventurers with a worried expression on his face.

Scotley

Hero
Wik looks at the newcomer with interest. Surely this is no slayer of giants? He looks worried. Have I done something wrong? He takes a deep breath before addressing the newcomer. "Good day sir," he says somewhat tentatively.

Inspiratorium

First Post
Deacon recoils slightly at Wik's tirade, "Sorry, I didn't know you cared so much about a band of thieves," he says as he looks him over. The light armor and bow, obviously having seen much use and wear, the perpetual smile, the man might as well have been one of them. Still, he had his doubts that the nobles would deign to hire a criminal -- a sentiment that he fully supported.

He looks at the two newcomers to drop the topic. "Greetings to you both. I wasn't aware I was famous," he offers to Lucan with a smile. This one seemed enthusiastic enough, though couldnt quite figure out how the bard was familiar with him. "How should we call you two then?"

Lucan recoils as he realizes that Deacon doesn't recognize him. How fortunate!

"Lucan is the name," he grins. "Lucan of the Hinterlands. Fencer adept and singer of epics."

He turns to face the other newcomer - the old man. "And you, sir? Will you be helping us with the giants? Do you have a story with which you could bore them to sleep, perhaps?"

Scotley

Hero
Wik leans in close to Deacon, "You should learn to care for any who oppose the giants as well. Our allies will be few enough without drawing lines in the sand and saying those are unfit because of their past or these are unfit because of their birth. Those lines get stepped on real fast when the hurled boulders are dropping all around you." He says this softly enough for only Deacon and those closest to him. He continues to be all smiles for the timid newcomer.

tiornys

Explorer
Seemingly reassured by the polite greetings, the robed man snaps his mouth shut with a sheepish grin, clears his throat, and speaks. "Ah, yes. I... do apologize for interrupting. I am Thaddeus Cole, and no, I'm afraid I am not here to fight the giants. I am here to petition you! I... you see, I am a scholar, and we have reason to believe that the giant's Stedding is built on top of an ancient temple. The Stedding is supposed to have been built upon ruins of some sort and in that area, yes, it must be the temple! Please, while there, if you find any indications that the ruins were a temple, if you could bring them to me, to us, we would be most appreciative!"

Out of breath, Thaddeus pauses, gulping air, then blinks a few times. "Ahh... you are the heroes that are going to fight the giants, yes?"

[sblock=Gwenn]You don't recognize Thaddeus, but you have heard his name. He runs a curio shop of some renown in Callir's Point.[/sblock]

Remove ads