AL Thor in Dwarf form. Help please!

bkcrosson

First Post
First and foremost thanks for your interest and help (if given)!

Alot of the D&D 5e rules are as clear as mud (especially Adventures League). (Especially for an old school player like myself).

Concept: Flying Dwarf/ tank with healing AND a Dwarven Thrower...

"Flying Boots" have to be attuned therefore = sux!

Flying unless you have DM perks is limited to Dragon Sorcerers 14th and Boots of Flying (to my knowledge - new to 5e and AL).

Someone turned me on to Tempest Cleric over War Cleric for Heavy Armor Prof (hence the reason lightning was chosen - not for Thor).

Most people say go mountain Dwarf over the Hill Dwarf but Hill essentially gets 2 Con points for that 1 life per level and that +1 Wisdom is huge.

Opening Attributes
Str: 14
Dex: 10
Con: 15
Int: 8
Wis: 13
Chr: 15

Clerics need to be able to hit something at first level and 14 is a good starting point.
Can't have Dex negatives for initiative and Dex Saves for a tank are crucial.
Con is the most important stat for this build.
Int is for skills and I will cover that in skill packages.
Wisdom is minimum for Clerics because this build does NOT need to overcome resistance most time.
Charisma is where spells need to get over resistance also this is useful for some other things.

Skills
Background: Custom; "Dwarven Equalizer" (mafia) Investigate Perception
Class skills: History Religion

(At Level 20)
Acrobatics +0 DEX (0) -
Animal Handling +2 WIS (2) -
Arcana -1 INT (-1) -
Athletics +2 STR (2) -
Deception +3 CHA (3) -
History +5 INT (-1) +6
Insight +2 WIS (2) -
Intimidation +3 CHA (3) -
Investigation +5 INT (-1) +6
Medicine +2 WIS (2) -
Nature -1 INT (-1) -
Perception +8 WIS (2) +6
Performance +3 CHA (3) -
Persuasion +3 CHA (3) -
Religion +5 INT (-1) +6
Sleight of Hand +0 DEX (0) -
Stealth +0 DEX (0) -
Survival +2 WIS (2) -
Passive Perception: 18

Level Build Out:
1: Tempest Cleric
2-17: Bronze Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer (that take you thru the 4th feat and wings)
18-20: Tempest Cleric (for the additional feat and some spells).
(maybe need some help on order progression suggestions are always appreciated - maybe a lvl of fighter???)

Feats:
Dwarven Fortitude (Dodge = heal, Periphat of Wound Closure = double healing + cast shield of faith and reaction shield)
Shield Master (for Dex saves)
War Caster (unwanted but needed)
Elemental Adept (Lightning) (for the resistance beat -also unwanted)
+1 Wis +1 Chr
(Definitely need suggestions - work arounds)!!!

Spells:
Cleric spells memorized (CL 4th)
Spell Save DC 16 Spell Attack +8
2nd—find traps , gust of wind , shatter, spiritual weapon
1st—bless, cure wounds , fog cloud, guiding bolt , shield of
faith, thunderwave
Cantrips—guidance, light, resistance, word of radiance

Sorcerer spells known (CL 16th)
Spell Save DC 17 Spell Attack +9
7th—plane shift
6th—chain lightning, sunbeam
4th—stoneskin, storm sphere
3rd—haste, lightning bolt , thunder step
2nd—blur, knock
1st—comprehend languages, magic missile, shield,
witch bolt
Cantrips—blade ward, booming blade , light, mage
hand, shocking grasp , thunderclap

(note Spiritual Weapon, Shield of Faith are bonus actions and combo really well off the dodge action along with shield reaction).

With +3 Plate
A Dwarven Thrower
A periphat of Wound Closure
and Belt of Giant Strength

he is a titan (I think)??? Final Stats:

AC 26
Initiative +0
Speed 25 ft
HP:183 (16d6+4d8 +1lvl hill, +1 sorcerer for Dragonic Bloodlines averaged)
Dwarven Thrower
Ranged: +11, 1d8+5 bludgeoning (base without belt of giant strength)
plus 1d8/2d8 at range

Sry it is lengthy thanks for reading if you made it this far: input is appreciated!

ccs

41st lv DM
The only real flaw in your concept is the assumption of any particular magic item as this isn't 3x/PF where simply buying them is an assumption in too many a game.

the_David

Explorer
Marvel Thor or Mythological Thor? Mjolnir giving Thor flight came from Stan Lee. Mythological Thor had to wade through rivers because he wasn't allowed to use bifröst. He did have a chariot pulled by two goats that could fly, maybe. (I can't find any sources that said it did except for 19th and 20th century art. Only that Thor killed the goats, ate them and then resurrected them with Mjolnir.)

bkcrosson

First Post
Marvel Thor or Mythological Thor? Mjolnir giving Thor flight came from Stan Lee. Mythological Thor had to wade through rivers because he wasn't allowed to use bifröst. He did have a chariot pulled by two goats that could fly, maybe. (I can't find any sources that said it did except for 19th and 20th century art. Only that Thor killed the goats, ate them and then resurrected them with Mjolnir.)

I'm not trying to build "Thor" I'm trying to build a dwarf that can fly and use a Dwarven Thrower + spell casting. When you add lightning such as a Tempest cleric similarities to Thor are made by the nerd community.

bkcrosson

First Post
The only real flaw in your concept is the assumption of any particular magic item as this isn't 3x/PF where simply buying them is an assumption in too many a game.

No assumptions I can tell you all 4 adventure/ campaigns that reward with a dwarven thrower and there are near a dozen with the peripht of wound closure...

Nutation

Explorer
Druids and beastmaster rangers can also fly, either by wildshape or on the back of a beast.

I assume you actually plan to play the character up to that level in AL. That will take a while (or do lots of judging for the XP rewards). [I know they don't call it "XP" anymore.] As you level, you earn Treasure Points and spend those TP on available magic items. I haven't checked your budget to see if the listed items are affordable. Whether they get unlocked to be purchased is unknowable.

As to the build, it's a good concept that I haven't seen. I think you've dipped too far into feats and skipped too many characteristic bumps. At a minimum, I would drop Elemental Adept.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Are you primarily attacking with the Dwarven Thrower or is that more of a flavor thing?

Increasing Charisma further will help with your spell damage for sure.

bkcrosson

First Post
Druids and beastmaster rangers can also fly, either by wildshape or on the back of a beast.

I assume you actually plan to play the character up to that level in AL. That will take a while (or do lots of judging for the XP rewards). [I know they don't call it "XP" anymore.] As you level, you earn Treasure Points and spend those TP on available magic items. I haven't checked your budget to see if the listed items are affordable. Whether they get unlocked to be purchased is unknowable.

As to the build, it's a good concept that I haven't seen. I think you've dipped too far into feats and skipped too many characteristic bumps. At a minimum, I would drop Elemental Adept.

Nutation can you help me to understand that? Everything I am reading says that is the apex of the build at late levels because everything has resistance. Personally I'd rather bump charisma +2.

bkcrosson

First Post
Are you primarily attacking with the Dwarven Thrower or is that more of a flavor thing?

Increasing Charisma further will help with your spell damage for sure.

5e spellcasters are nerfed with limited spells until a full rest so it is more than flavor. Book Barbarian do you think what I wrote Nutation is a valid change?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
5e spellcasters are nerfed with limited spells until a full rest so it is more than flavor.
Except cantrips which never run out and scale with level typically doing more damage than one single weapon attack. It's the entire reason why martials get Extra Attack. Tempest Clerics do get to add Thunder damage to weapon attacks, but you'd need to get 8 levels to get it.

Unless you are attacking a giant, you would on average do more damage with a cantrip like Lightning Lure. It's great for tanking too. Edit: or if in melee Booming Blade is a cantrip that is great for tanking too.

Book Barbarian do you think what I wrote Nutation is a valid change?

Well there are 35 creatures in the MM with resistance to Lighting damage an 10 that are immune to it. If you were going for Fire or Cold based damage it would be more necessary. For Lightning I would prioritize higher attack rolls and spell save dc over it.

Last edited:

Remove ads