All Marvel TV Shows, Ranked

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Honestly, the main takeaway I've had from all the D+ Marvel shows is they have trouble sticking the landing. Loki, and Wandavision, definitely, were super strong up to the finale. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier wasn't as good initially, but really faceplanted with Sam's speech and ... most of the finale. Ms. Marvel was ... fine ... I just didn't care for the movie tie-in cliffhanger. Hawkeye was probably the best in this regard. Still mulling over She-Hulk, not sure how I feel about it yet.

I genuinely enjoyed She-Hulk. I think the problem a lot of people had was that they were expecting it to be something it wasn't.

It was a half-hour comedy. It hued very close to the source material (the fourth-wall breaking run in the comics). Heck, the entire show would have been worth it just for the opening of the finale with the homage to the 70s Hulk TV show ...

and that was the point! It was a TV show. That was the whole point of the fourth-wall breaking "show down" with the big bad K.E.V.I.N. It wasn't about She-Hulk engaging in combat with some giant sky beam or whatever ... it was a light comedy. I liked it. My only wish for Season 2 is that we get some better development of some of the important plots-

A. So, what does Pug's sneaker collection look like?
B. More Mallory! She has just the right brand of imperiousness to put misbehaving superheroes in their place.
C. Luke Jacobson and Nikki ... spinoff of fabulousness?

I'm down.

Stalker0

Legend
Iron fist has to be dead last, what a steaming pile of garbage.

Loki is so over the top it invalidates so much of what we have already seen. When you have an organization that keeps infinity stones in an office drawer it makes it hard to care about all of the sacrifice to deal with Thanos.

Most of the rest seems solid

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm in pretty broad agreement with your overall rankings. Totally on-board with the sublime weirdness of Legion being absolute peak TV. I would have She-Hulk in about the same position as you do until about 2 weeks ago, but the last two episodes totally sold me on it being right at the top-tier. Being willing to argue directly against the Marvel approach of watching a movie/show just to see what will happen in the movie/show after that was a pretty bold move by the writers, and I heartily approve.

As much as I love Daredevil, I have to rank it slightly lower since Season 2 was a bit of a misfire, for me. Season 2 being a bit of a letdown happened pretty often for the non-D+ shows, I think; it happened to Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Cloak and Dagger, and the Runaways.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm in pretty broad agreement with your overall rankings. Totally on-board with the sublime weirdness of Legion being absolute peak TV. I would have She-Hulk in about the same position as you do until about 2 weeks ago, but the last two episodes totally sold me on it being right at the top-tier. Being willing to argue directly against the Marvel approach of watching a movie/show just to see what will happen in the movie/show after that was a pretty bold move by the writers, and I heartily approve.

As much as I love Daredevil, I have to rank it slightly lower since Season 2 was a bit of a misfire, for me. Season 2 being a bit of a letdown happened pretty often for the non-D+ shows, I think; it happened to Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Cloak and Dagger, and the Runaways.
Sequel seasons can be tough pull off. I actually liked season 2 of The Punisher better, but most on average dont measure up.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Sequel seasons can be tough pull off. I actually liked season 2 of The Punisher better, but most on average dont measure up.
Yea, they aren't all bad. Punisher 2nd season was better, I agree, as well as Luke Cage and Iron Fist, although that's a low bar for Iron Fist. :)

Iron fist has to be dead last, what a steaming pile of garbage.

Loki is so over the top it invalidates so much of what we have already seen. When you have an organization that keeps infinity stones in an office drawer it makes it hard to care about all of the sacrifice to deal with Thanos.

Most of the rest seems solid
Eh, it's akin to having the US military exist, and still making movies about some drug dealers threatening cops in New York. Yeah, if it came down to it the US military could probably blow up all those drug dealers, but that's not their job.

The TVA can, sure, completely undercut any personal growth any character has by just stepping in and unwriting that branch of the timeline. But they don't care, and Marvel won't make that happen because they're not in the business of making nihilist films. As avant-garde as it would be to have had Endgame end with some time agents showing up at the start of act two to erase everyone and force the world to remain blipped, that's not popcorn cinema.

And in-universe, I assume there's some justification like . . . if not for Scott Lang proposing a ludicrous 'time heist,' no genuinely smart person like Tony would have ever taken time travel seriously enough to have the epiphany necessary to make it possible, and even then, only in the universe where Tony then dies very quickly does time travel not create a huge Swiss Cheese paradox of the multiverse, and the shared suffering of the whole cosmos losing people and then getting them back avoids some super-war, which lets reality last long enough for Kang to arise, which is why after he makes the TVA he ensures that this particular ludicrous reality is the one that is considered canon.

In all the other millions of possibilities -- including super simple ones like Star-Lord not bopping Thanos so they can get the gauntlet off him -- that unfortunately leads to some universe where Kang doesn't reign supreme, so he sent his TVA agents there to erase it. That was why Dr Strange kept seeing reality getting destroyed in all the futures he looked into. Not because Thanos is that hard to beat, but because Kang needed Thanos to win, and then for time travel to happen, and then for Tony to die saving the universe.

Like, Buffy saved the world. A lot. But the best episode of the series wasn't about saving the world, but about her mom dying. (Okay, the best episode was The Zeppo, which I suppose technically did involve her saving the world, just not as the main focus of the plot.)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Like, Buffy saved the world. A lot. But the best episode of the series wasn't about saving the world, but about her mom dying. (Okay, the best episode was The Zeppo, which I suppose technically did involve her saving the world, just not as the main focus of the plot.)

The best episode was Once More With Feeling.

The best season was Season 6. Okay ... the best season was 3. But the second-best is 6.

We all have hills that we die on, and that's mine.

As for the other comments here and by others- all good! When it comes down to it, I have the following very strong opinions about the MCU-

1. Legion is the best show. It took the most chances. It delivered the goods. But it's not for everyone.

2. Ms. Marvel is the best D+ MCU show.

3. Inhumans is the worst show. It is so bad that the first season of Iron Fist looks at it and says, "Dude, you got some serious issues."

4. The Netflix Marvel series are all pretty good, but the first season of Iron Fist and the Defenders isn't. The second season of Iron Fist almost makes it to the level of cromulent. But just thinking about Netflix Daredevil and Netflix Kingpin, and comparing what we've seen so far in the MCU ... I miss that. So. Much. It was nice to have that grounded alternative.

5. I am sure my ordering of the "middle shows" (Wandavision, Loki, Moon Knight, She-Hulk) will probably jumble up again. Heck, I'd put in Hawkeye as well. All of them have things that are really good, and things that didn't work as well.... but TFATWS is not as good as any of them. I don't think someone ordering them differently is wrong- they just have different decisions as to the relative importance of what each show does right and wrong.

Vael

Legend
Yea, they aren't all bad. Punisher 2nd season was better, I agree, as well as Luke Cage and Iron Fist, although that's a low bar for Iron Fist. :)
... There was a second season of Punisher? LMAO, I barely watched past Defenders and have no memory of what came out.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Having some of the shows with my other half and 13yo, both Hawkeye and Falcon & Winter Soldier struck me as having solid rewatch value. Wanda and Vision was about the same the second time... so still good, but I don't think it has as much rewatch value. Have not yet seen the others a second time.

Remove ads