Alternative Feat Concept [Scaling Feat Chains]

NexusX

First Post
Nyaricus - just got back in town. It will take me a few days or so to get caught up on things then I'll work on some feats. Anyone else want to join in?

NexusX

Nyaricus

First Post
neat'o. Errg, i have been very short on time lately, and i have been slacking off a bit here . . got some notes and ideas, but nothing too concrete for many things. Prepping for a new camapign, DMing a current on, highschool and 25 hours of work/week can do wonders for your spare time. I'll update in the next while though . . .

cheers!

Thread Necromancy! Woot!

I've been working on something similar to this, also after looking pretty heavily at Iron Heroes, with its greatly expanded Feat Mastery abilities... I've written a whole pile of feats, but unfortunately, many of them suffer from some additional house rule chicanery... So, as I get the hance, I'm hoping to re-D&D-ize some of them and post them here...

I'm using a slightly different feat chain progression than those in this thread, but its not terribly different. My feat chains go something like this: Ability, Improved Ability, Greater Ability, Superior Ability, Perfect Ability, Epic Abilty, Transcendant Abilty. Often the Epic Ablity and Transcendant Ability feats are ones that can be taken multiple times, with stacking results...

Here's my cleave feat chain, as an example.

CLEAVE [POWER]
Prerequisite: Power Attack.
Benefit: If you deal a creature enough damage with a melee attack to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round, and only on your turn.

IMPROVED CLEAVE [POWER]
Prerequisite: Cleave.
Benefit: You may make an additional number of cleave attacks each round equal to your Strength bonus (minumum 1). You may still only use this ability on your turn. This ability stacks with that gained from the Cleave feat.

GREATER CLEAVE [POWER]
Prerequisite: Improved Cleave
Benefit: You gain a cleave attack when you score a critical hit, as well as when you drop an opponent. You can use this attack against any opponent you threaten, not just the one that you scored the critical against. If you score a critical hit and drop your opponent, you only gain one extra attack, not two.

SUPERIOR CLEAVE [POWER]
Prerequisite: Greater Cleave.
Benefit: You may make an additional number of cleave attacks each round equal to your Strength bonus (minumum 1). You may still only use this ability on your turn. This ability stacks with that gained from the Cleave and Improved Cleave feats.

PERFECT CLEAVE [POWER]
Prerequisite: Superior Cleave.
Benefit: Each time you gain a Cleave attack, you may make a 5ft adjustment, so long as your total movement for the round does not exceed your normal movement.

EPIC CLEAVE [POWER, EPIC]
Prerequisite: Perfect Cleave.
Benefit: You may make an additional number of cleave attacks each round equal to your Strength bonus (minumum 1). You may still only use this ability on your turn. This ability stacks with that gained from the Cleave, Improved Cleave, and Superior Cleave feats, as well as with itself.
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Its effects stack.

TRANSCENDANT CLEAVE [POWER, EPIC]
Prerequisite: Epic Cleave.
Benefit: You gain a cleave attack when you score a threat, as well as when you drop an opponent. You can use this attack against any opponent you threaten, not just the one that you scored the threat against. If you score a threat and drop your opponent, you only gain one extra attack, not two.

You can prbably see the similarity to the cleave mastery feat as presented in Iron Heroes. The feat chains that I've put together take a lot of inspiration from the Iron Heroes feat mastery chains, as well as some other sources, such as Spycraft 2.0, d20 Modern, Hong's Iron Heroes hacks page, and a myriad of other sources, both in print and spread across the web.

Later
silver

Nyaricus

First Post
wow, never thought this one'd see the light of day again :D

Hmmm, well I have (kinda) abandoned this line of thought for the moment - not because I want to but because there are so many other things I am working on at the moment for my campiagn. Thanks for at least confirming that I'm not along for wanting a proper set of feat chains for D&D.

If you want to, I'd love to see some more of the stuff you have for feats chains. Attach it or post 'em up as you can - you never know you might get m cranks started again :p

Cheers!

COMBAT EXPERTISE [DEFENSE]
Prerequisite: Int 13.
Benefit: You can take a penalty to your attack rolls up to the lesser of your Base Attack Bonus or -5 to gain an equal dodge bonus to your Armor Class. If you have a readied Buckler, you also add an additional amount to the Shield bonus that you gain from the buckler equal to one-half (round down) of the penalty that you take to your attack rolls. If you have a readied Light shield, you also add an additional amount to the Shield bonus that you gain from the shield equal to the penalty that you take to your attack rolls. If you have a readied Heavy shield, you also add an additional amount to the Shield bonus that you recieve from the shield equal to one-and-a-half (round down) times the penalty you take to your attack rolls.
Normal: Without this feat, you can use the Defensive Stance, taking a -4 penalty on attack rolls and gaining a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

IMPROVED COMBAT EXPERTISE [DEFENSE]
Prerequisite: Combat Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +5 or more.
Benefit: When you use the Combat Expertise ability, you can take a penalty to your attack rolls (and gain a commensurate benefit to your Armor Class) greater than -5. You are still limited to taking a penalty to your attack rolls of up to your Base Attack Bonus.

GREATER COMBAT EXPERTISE [DEFENSE]
Prerequisite: Improved Combat Expertise
Benefit: If you are adjacent to any enemies and using the Combat Expertise ability, opponents suffer an additional -4 penalty to ranged attacks made against you.

SUPERIOR COMBAT EXPERTISE [DEFENSE]
Prerequisite: Greater Combat Expertise.
Benefit: When using the Combat Expertise ability, if someone makes a melee attack against you and misses, you may make an attack of opportunity against him.

PERFECT COMBAT EXPERTISE [DEFENSE]
Prerequisite: Superior Combat Expertise.
Benefit: When you use the combat expertise ability, you add half again the penalty you take on attack rolls to the dodge bonus you gain to your Armor Class.

Remove ads