Alternative Ranger Combat Styles

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Hi all!

I was thinking of replacing the Ranger Combat Style feats with, Animal Defiance (2th level) and Animal Control (6th level). What do you guys think of this swapping? Also, what do you all think would be an appropriate placement for the 11th level bonus feat of the Ranger?

Last edited:

Galethorn

First Post
That'd work just fine, if animal empathy still existed.

You could do a skill focus for Handle Animal instead, or else make up a feat that gives a bonus to Wild Empathy attempts...

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Thanks for the input, everyone. I've decided to go with Animal Affinity, Animal Defiance and Animal Control (at 2nd, 6th and 11th level respectively) for the Animal Friend style ranger.

Kemrain

First Post
The animal control abilities are cool, but does anyone have any other ideas for things to replace the combat styles with? I'm rather interested to see what people are thinking of. I'm suprised I haven't seen this done before (which means I'm inattentive, not that it hasn't.)

- Kemrain the... Wait.. What was I saying?

Jeph

Explorer
Tooth and Claw Style:
lv. 2--Gain Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat, and the ability to deal 1d6 + Str modifier points of lethal or subdual bludgeoning damage with a successful hit.
lv. 6--Unarmed damage upgrades to d8, ability to make a Flurry of Blows.
lv. 11--Unarmed damage upgrades to d10, threaten a critical with an Unarmed Strike on a 19 or 20.

Quick Reaction Style
lv. 2--Gain the Improved Initiative feat.
lv. 6--Gain the ability to reroll Initiative Wisdom modifier times per day (minimum 1/day).
lv. 11--Gain the ability to act Hasted for a number of rounds per day equal to Wisdom modifier (minimum 1 round).

Strike from the Shadows Style
lv. 2--Sneak Attack +1d6
lv. 6--Sneak Attack +2d6
lv. 11--Sneak Attack +3d6

Foe Hunter Style
lv 2--Gain the ability to make a Smite attack, gaining a +4 bonus to the attack roll and dealing bonus damage equal to the Ranger's class level, against a favored enemy once per day.
lv 6--You may now use the Smite attack twice per day.
lv 11--You may now use the Smite attack three times per day.

Swift Runner Style
lv 2--Gain the Run feat.
lv 6--Gain a +10' bonus to your base speed.
lv 11--The bonus to your base speed increases to +20'.

Harmony with Elements Style
lv 2--Gain Energy Resistance 2 against every element.
lv 6--Your Energy Resistance improves to 5.
lv 11--Gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against spells with a descriptor of Fire, Acid, Cold, Air, Lightning, Earth, Water, or Sonic.

Acrobatic Combat Style
lv 2--Gain Tumble as a class skill, and a +2 bonus to all Jump and Tumble checks.
lv 6--Gain the ability to make an Acrobatic Attack by leaping at an opponant at least 10 feet away and then attacking with a +2 bonus to your attack and damage rolls.
lv 11--When you make an Acrobatic Attack, your bonus improves to +4.

And things like that. :)

Remove ads