• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Chris Perkins Interview - 4th Edition Realms

JoeGKushner

First Post
The Ubbergeek said:
Logical fallacy - they, as other high npc, are no porblems by themselves. Elminster is usually just stuck in his tower and don't do much, and the importance of Drizzt is severely overblown - he is just a local hero.

All in all though, they do not in any way block pc from becoming heroes - even now. it had been explanined quite frequently and it's a trite debate.

Even novels are not a problem if you take and let go of you don't want and need. You can even say 'different, alternate universe'.

Then why doesn't your logic apply to the rest of the NPCs? If it's no problem for Drizzt and Elminster, then why is it a problem for the Seven Siters, Choosen, etc...? WoTC is saying it's a problem and that's why they're getting rid of most of them. You better let WoTC know that they're wrong.

For me, it's never been a problem.

For others, it is a problem.

Having some of the iconic character remain while saying the major NPCs are going away is not fixing the 'problem'.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Then why doesn't your logic apply to the rest of the NPCs? If it's no problem for Drizzt and Elminster, then why is it a problem for the Seven Siters, Choosen, etc...? WoTC is saying it's a problem and that's why they're getting rid of most of them. You better let WoTC know that they're wrong.

For me, it's never been a problem.

For others, it is a problem.

Having some of the iconic character remain while saying the major NPCs are going away is not fixing the 'problem'.

*Shrugs* As a GROUP, maybe, then... note however that even epic guys can't be everwhere in the whole world.

Culling the ranks, if there is a problem, will HELP, that's sure.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Here's my question: Why does FR as we know it have to be scrapped? Why can't it just be retired for a few years? Why can't they go with a setting that works better with 4E's core assumptions instead of shoehorning the setting to fit the assumptions? There's TONS of other classic settings that they own that they could choose from. Surely one of them would be a better fit out of the gate. I know that the FR name has alot of worth, but changing the base assumptions makes it ... well ... no longer forgotten realms.

am181d

Adventurer
What stood out for me was "mechanics for new races"...

Can we start speculating on FR Mystery Races? I'm putting my money on Orc and Half-Vampire.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
Here's my question: Why does FR as we know it have to be scrapped? Why can't it just be retired for a few years? Why can't they go with a setting that works better with 4E's core assumptions instead of shoehorning the setting to fit the assumptions? There's TONS of other classic settings that they own that they could choose from. Surely one of them would be a better fit out of the gate. I know that the FR name has alot of worth, but changing the base assumptions makes it ... well ... no longer forgotten realms.

The thing is.... the bases, the themes... they remains. The atoms of the setting. It's just a new era.

BTW, wanted to add also... deaths in a story also serves storytelling.... to show the helplessness of the situation, the danger, to show how something is TRUELY evil... etc...

As the Dragonlance authors said it - they couldn't make their heroes go unscathed, all well after the War... realisiticaly, one at least could die. And the serie shown how it can be well done.

So many npc deads... because the world went mad.

Kvantum

First Post
I get the feeling this is going to be like the new Star Trek movie: a tangent based on the original world we all know and love, but different enough that you can't really call it the same.

Or at least you shouldn't be, but like that's ever stopped a marketing department.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Kvantum said:
I get the feeling this is going to be like the new Star Trek movie: a tangent based on the original world we all know and love, but different enough that you can't really call it the same.

Or at least you shouldn't be, but like that's ever stopped a marketing department.

is it enough to call it 'not Star Treck'?

It's a different era, for Jésus's sake! Like the Roaring Twenties compared to the Seventies! And they are just two time periods of the setting called Eart!

Edit - had read Star Wars instead of Star Treck, my bad...

Ahglock

First Post
The Ubbergeek said:
is it enough to call it 'not Star Treck'?

It's a different era, for Jésus's sake! Like the Roaring Twenties compared to the Seventies! And they are just two time periods of the setting called Eart!

Edit - had read Star Wars instead of Star Treck, my bad...

D&D and Palladium are the same thing there both RPGs for christs sake we're not talking totally different types of games here they are both Role Playing Games.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Ahglock said:
D&D and Palladium are the same thing there both RPGs for christs sake we're not talking totally different types of games here they are both Role Playing Games.

Well, the Paladium system was built on emulating D&D, ya know..

But seriously, FR, as I say, is still FR. New era, themes may vary a bit, but at the end, it's the same darn thing.

I always use out world as a comparaison because we had continents/countries/world-shattering events by the thousands... and yet, did earth really change? Did us, humans, changed at the end?

Death Dealer

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:

FR stopped being FR sometime around the conversion from 2E to 3E. Hell, some might argue it stopped being FR when the Time of Troubles came along (1E to 2E). All I can say is, I hope 4E can capture even a part of the 1E feel. The feel of wonder and amazement of a truely magical world that gives one a sense of being transported somewhere else. Kinda like the 1st time most of us saw The Fellowship of the Ring on the big screen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads