Level Up (A5E) Another New Lineage (Updated!)

TheHand

Adventurer
There's so much material here I think I'll need to do a second pass later. But here's some of my initial thoughts:

(And as always, it should go without saying that take or leave anything you like/dislike here!)

Some alternative name ideas: The Created, Craftborne, Wroughtsoul, Forgesoul

Basic Traits: The only one that made me stop was "Ties to the Creator", which might go against the grain of some one who wants to create a kind of lost-soul, abandoned machine character, or an ancient construct. I'm not sure what could go in it's place or if it can be worded a little differently to accommodate such ideas.

All the Different Types: I was really excited to see how many different kinds of Fashioned you featured! Everything from scarecrows to junk-bots were possible. It made me wonder if they should all have some element they are also weak against, maybe not as strong as a true vulnerability but something like Cloth has Disadvantage to save against ongoing (now a new term in the combat playtest!) fire damage and Glass saves with Disadvantage against Thunder. But I'm probably overthinking it, and of course, they would need something positive to bolster it (though maybe just advantage to save against Necrotic damage, since they aren't alive).

A few thoughts on specific ones :
  • Glass: How about renaming it to Crystal, that way it could also accommodate gemstone or salt constructs (why would anyone make a salt golem? That's for your DM to figure out!)
  • Junk: Most of the construct types got a spell or cantrip, so I thought maybe at Level 3 a Junky construct could cast Spike Growth once per day, in their case, flavored that they are scattering broken bits of themselves around like caltrops.
  • Iron: I like the heat absorption idea, but maybe to streamline it, could it be Absorb Elements, perhaps able to cast once between short rests? Now the iron-born character could, for example, also absorb and store lightning (a battery!) or cold (an icebox!).
  • Wood: Instead of goodberry, which I think a lot of other races get already, what about Barkskin?

Purpose:
I didn't see much here I would really change, but it seemed like Laborer needed 1 small boost to bring it in line. Maybe they gain expertise or advantage with Athletics checks related to grunt work?

Finally, I'd appreciate the input of a non-cisgendered person, specifically for the following paragraph (which is second to the last of the description part).
I am not qualified to comment here, but this was very thoughtful to include!

Thanks again for giving me an excuse to ramble about gaming!

Faolyn

(she/her)
There's so much material here I think I'll need to do a second pass later. But here's some of my initial thoughts:

(And as always, it should go without saying that take or leave anything you like/dislike here!)

Some alternative name ideas: The Created, Craftborne, Wroughtsoul, Forgesoul
I think I like Wroughtsoul the best. It sounds sufficiently D&Dish and definitely communicates the idea that these are living beings and not soulless automatons. Thanks!

Basic Traits: The only one that made me stop was "Ties to the Creator", which might go against the grain of some one who wants to create a kind of lost-soul, abandoned machine character, or an ancient construct. I'm not sure what could go in it's place or if it can be worded a little differently to accommodate such ideas.
Good point, and that's an easy change to make:

In general, a wroughtsoul awakens to full life within a matter of minutes, hours, or rarely days after its body is complete and its heart installed. While most of the time, the new wroughtsoul's creator is there, ready and waiting to meet their creation, something may prevent this from occurring. When making a wroughtsoul, decide if you know you created you or not. If you knew your creator, decide who they are, why they created you, and what your current relationship to them is like. If you didn't, why? Were they simply not there when you woke up and you wandered away out of confusion or curiosity? Did someone else find you incomplete, and put your heart in your body? Were you never intended to be a wroughtsoul and were only awoken because a spirit possessed your body?

All the Different Types: I was really excited to see how many different kinds of Fashioned you featured! Everything from scarecrows to junk-bots were possible.
I was influenced from so many things. Various junk golems iand junkbots, the Bottle Woman from the Order of Tales webcomic, Scarecrow and Tinman, and other constructs from Wizard of Oz, the various robots from the Freefall webcomic, the clanks from the Girl Genius webcomic, those clockwork robots from that one Doctor Who...

It made me wonder if they should all have some element they are also weak against, maybe not as strong as a true vulnerability but something like Cloth has Disadvantage to save against ongoing (now a new term in the combat playtest!) fire damage and Glass saves with Disadvantage against Thunder. But I'm probably overthinking it, and of course, they would need something positive to bolster it (though maybe just advantage to save against Necrotic damage, since they aren't alive).
I've seriously thought about giving them a vulnerability to something, but so far no other heritage has that sort of issue. OTOH, they're kind of powerful, since even without the bonuses from their material they already aren't subject to biological issues (and even if it turns out they're not OP, it wouldn't be hard to give them another ability to even things out). So giving them a weakness of some sort probably wouldn't be a game-changer.

Cloth: either disad on saves against fire damage, or whenever they take ongoing fire damage, they damage die size increases by one type.

Clockwork: perhaps they have disad on Stealth rolls, because they're always ticking.

Glass: disad on saves against thunder damage. At the least, it would prevent arguments as to whether or not shatter affects them differently.

Junk: Not sure about this, other than maybe that you have disad on covering your tracks and other creatures have advantage on tracking you, because you're always dropping bits of yourself around.

Metal: disad on saves against lightning damage.

Wood: Hmm, a toughy. Either just like cloth, or against necrotic damage, to represent rot (and because spells like blight and horrid wilting do extra damage against plants).

A few thoughts on specific ones :
  • Glass: How about renaming it to Crystal, that way it could also accommodate gemstone or salt constructs (why would anyone make a salt golem? That's for your DM to figure out!)
There are actually salt golems in Dark Sun. Because it's D&D and there's golems for everything.

I'm not sure that I want to make the glass wroughtsoul into a crystal wroughtsoul--but I can definitely see creating a crystal wroughtsoul in addition to glass! Maybe they awaken by themselves a lot on the Plane of Earth.

In this case, I'll move color spray to the crystal wroughtsoul and give the glass ones the shattering barrage spell at 3rd level.

Crystal. You may have been carved from a crystalline substance, like quartz or salt or mineral rock. You might be sculpted out of delicate metal frame set with hundreds of shimming flakes of mica. You may even have been grown in a chemical bath. In any case, you likely shimmer brilliantly. As a crystal-made wroughtsoul, you have the following traits:

• You can use a bonus action to shed bright light in a 5- to 20-foot radius sphere, and dim light for an additional number of feet equal to the chosen radius. You can alter the light or extinguish it as a bonus action.

• You can break off a piece of yourself, inflicting 1d8 damage to yourself and reducing your hit point maximum by that amount. This piece contains a crystal (or chunk of salt) that can be sold for 5 gp per point of damage taken. The reduction lasts until you complete a long rest, and you die if this damage brings you down to 0 hp. You may choose to do this a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier each week, and then can't do it until you complete a long rest, although if you do this more than once in a day, you also take one level of fatigue for each time you do this after the first. The crystal you pull from yourself can't be used as a spellcasting focus.

(I worry that this is up for abuse: "We're at a haven, so I spend my downtime making money!" I like the image, though--like some of the trolls from Discworld who knock their own diamond teeth out when they need cash.)

• You can cast color spray once per day, requiring no material components. At 3rd level, you can cast spike growth once per day, requiring no material components. Your spellcasting attribute is Charisma.

• You can grow crystalline claws from the tips of your fingers. Extending or retracting the claws requires no action. The claws are natural weapons in which you are proficient, and if you hit with them, they inflict slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the normal damage for an unarmed strike.

• You are proficient in jeweler's tools.

• You have disadvantage on saving throws against acid damage.

• Junk: Most of the construct types got a spell or cantrip, so I thought maybe at Level 3 a Junky construct could cast Spike Growth once per day, in their case, flavored that they are scattering broken bits of themselves around like caltrops.
Not a spell (I kind of like the junk wroughtsouls not having spells), but how about this:

• You can use your action to rummage through the junk inside you and pull out one of the following objects: a bag of ball bearings, a block and tackle, 10 feet of string, a crowbar, a tinderbox, a bag of caltrops, a set of manacles, an empty jar, flask, tankard, or glass bottle, an iron spike, a trinket of some kind, or some other sort of simple, nonmagical item that weighs 6 pounds or less and costs 2 gp or less. You can do so a number of times each day equal to your proficiency modifier.

I will, however, steal the spike growth for the crystal wroughtsouls, since that makes sense. for them.

• Iron: I like the heat absorption idea, but maybe to streamline it, could it be Absorb Elements, perhaps able to cast once between short rests? Now the iron-born character could, for example, also absorb and store lightning (a battery!) or cold (an icebox!).
Heh, cute :D. I'm not sure I want to go with absorb elements--I can't see them absorbing acid or thunder damage. I think I'll rephrase the way I wrote the ability to be more in line with the way absorb works.

• Wood: Instead of goodberry, which I think a lot of other races get already, what about Barkskin?
Purpose:
I didn't see much here I would really change, but it seemed like Laborer needed 1 small boost to bring it in line. Maybe they gain expertise or advantage with Athletics checks related to grunt work?
Both good! I changed 'em.

I am not qualified to comment here, but this was very thoughtful to include!
You most definitely are qualified! You've given me a lot of useful advice here for some fun changes. I refuse to believe I'm so good at this that I can create a perfect heritage right off the bat, so I really appreciate your input.

TheHand

Adventurer
I think I like Wroughtsoul the best. It sounds sufficiently D&Dish and definitely communicates the idea that these are living beings and not soulless automatons. Thanks!

You're quite welcome! Later, part of me wondered if it might sound too much like "Rot Soul", but it's probably fine.

In general, a wroughtsoul awakens to full life within a matter of minutes, hours, or rarely days after its body is complete and its heart installed. While most of the time, the new wroughtsoul's creator is there, ready and waiting to meet their creation, something may prevent this from occurring. When making a wroughtsoul, decide if you know you created you or not. If you knew your creator, decide who they are, why they created you, and what your current relationship to them is like. If you didn't, why? Were they simply not there when you woke up and you wandered away out of confusion or curiosity? Did someone else find you incomplete, and put your heart in your body? Were you never intended to be a wroughtsoul and were only awoken because a spirit possessed your body?

Perfect!

I was influenced from so many things...

Yeah I love that this gives us the tools to create just about any type of mechanical/animated character.

So giving them a weakness of some sort probably wouldn't be a game-changer.

Cloth: either disad on saves against fire damage, or whenever they take ongoing fire damage, they damage die size increases by one type.

Clockwork: perhaps they have disad on Stealth rolls, because they're always ticking.

Glass: disad on saves against thunder damage. At the least, it would prevent arguments as to whether or not shatter affects them differently.

Junk: Not sure about this, other than maybe that you have disad on covering your tracks and other creatures have advantage on tracking you, because you're always dropping bits of yourself around.

Metal: disad on saves against lightning damage.

Wood: Hmm, a toughy. Either just like cloth, or against necrotic damage, to represent rot (and because spells like blight and horrid wilting do extra damage against plants).

Cloth: With fire damage being so plentiful, I think just disad to saves on fire would be too detrimental, but I like the increase die-size for ongoing fire. It doesn't come up too often but it becomes worrisome when it does!

Clockwork: Hm, while I like the idea of disad to stealth in concept, but it might be too harsh. It could write clockworks off as viable rogues and those Dr. Who clockworks you mentioned were pretty good at ambushing if I recall. Counter-proposal: What if Cold damage slowed you down for 1 turn, as it causes your gears to stop turning {eg: Whenever you take cold damage, your speed is reduced by an equal amount until the end of your next turn).

Junk: What about if a critical hit from bludgeoning does a little more, as it shakes all your stuff apart {something like: Whenever you are critically hit by an attack that deals bludgeoning damage, you take x3 instead of x2 damage}

Wood: Yeah, a weakness to necrotic damage would be good, just for the example you mentioned... from wroughtsoul to dryrot soul as it were.

There are actually salt golems in Dark Sun. Because it's D&D and there's golems for everything.

Ha, okay I wasn't hallucinating that! Well good, finally a golem worth its salt! (sorry, not sure why the puns are out of control...)

Crystal: I like it! You could even use them to re-create the "shardminds" (one of those wacky races from 4e that I probably shouldn't bring up, since I almost caused a riot the last time I mentioned the dread edition).

(I worry that this is up for abuse: "We're at a haven, so I spend my downtime making money!" I like the image, though--like some of the trolls from Discworld who knock their own diamond teeth out when they need cash.)
Soul Music if I recall correctly! One of my favorites.

TBH, I'm not sure you really need that ability. It looks like the Crystals have a lot of benefits as is, and therefore no fears of an abusive trait.

...You can use your action to rummage through the junk inside you...
OH! I really like that idea. That's great!

I have a really morbid Junk Wroughtsoul character idea now... a broken down, old Cadaver Collector whose equivalent of 'junk' are various bits and bobs either collected from bodies over the ages, or bones and parts of those bodies themselves.

Absorbing Iron: Yes, your counterproposal sounds good!

You most definitely are qualified! You've given me a lot of useful advice here for some fun changes. I refuse to believe I'm so good at this that I can create a perfect heritage right off the bat, so I really appreciate your input.

Oh, I was referring to being CIS-gendered specifically, but I really appreciate the vote of confidence! I love doing this kind of stuff, so I'm glad my input has been useful!

Faolyn

(she/her)
And another one: the kobold, one of my favorite humanoids! (@TheHand, sorry I didn't reply to your last post; I've been extra distracted lately.)

My Heritages and Cultures_page-0007.jpg
My Heritages and Cultures_page-0008.jpg

Although, as usual, it contains a bit of the constant battle I face between my love of xenobiology and wondering if it counts as TMI...

TheHand

Adventurer
Oh these lil dragons look super fun to play!

I almost want the "Roar" ability to be called "Rawr!" based on our earlier conversation, but that can just remain a 'house rule'. ;)

Although, as usual, it contains a bit of the constant battle I face between my love of xenobiology and wondering if it counts as TMI...

I think because the biology feature is in "Variant" it can be used by those who find it interesting and put aside by those who don't! So, works for me!

Faolyn

(she/her)
A new culture this time.

Floating Villager
Most people live on (or under) solid land; they dig into the earth, plant in the soil, and build with solid stone or clay bricks or with wood from the trees that themselves grow from the earth. Some people, however, grow up on the water. Not just in beach or riverside towns, but in villages made entirely out of numerous boats and barges. The boats that make up a floating village typically stay close to each other, using simple rope bridges, nets, or gangplanks to span the narrow distances between two different boats. Typically, a floating village sails slowly in a distinct circuit between several ports. In between ports, they fish, harvest water-plants for food or to weave, gather pearls (freshwater or ocean), and salvage and repair whatever flotsam and jetsam they come across; when they reach a port, they trade for whatever else they need.

Floating villagers are very closely-knit and also proudly independent. A threat to a single boat in the village can mean disaster to the entire village. But each villager knows that, should they desire, they could simply cut their boat free of the rest of the lot and travel wherever they want. Additionally, floating villages are rarely part of any particular nation, since few rivers or oceans are entirely within the borders of a single country (and because of this, at least some floating villagers are also smugglers). This means that they both lack any nationality beyond their village, and lack the protection of that nation, so they must protect and guard themselves from threats.

Despite this, floating villagers are often very welcoming to outsiders. They are usually willing to provide passage for a fee or for the passenger to work to earn their keep. They are also usually quite willing to let new boats join their village.

Characters raised in this culture share the following traits:

Boat-Born. You are proficient with water vehicles, navigator’s tools, and tinker’s tools. You can use tinker’s tools to repair a water vehicle you own, and you gain an expertise die to any checks made to do it.

Natural Swimmer. Growing up on the water has taught you how to swim well. You have a swim speed of 30 feet. If you already have a swim speed, it increases by 10 feet. You can also add your proficiency bonus to your Constitution when determining how long you can hold your breath.

Sea Legs. Long used to the swaying of the waves, you have advantage on Strength saving throws against effects that would knock your prone.

Weapons of the Waves. You are proficient with nets and tridents.

Languages. You can speak, read, write, and sign Common and one other language of your choice.

I feel like there should be a Sailor's Cant, like thieves' cant. But more legal.

Stormrunner

Explorer
R.e. Centaurs:
"human-like horse and head" should be "human-like torso and head" in the second paragraph.
I second the idea of making their Move 35 for the small centaurs or 40 for the Large ones. Move of a draft/war horse is 40 and a riding horse is 50, and Wood Elves get a Move of 35, so this seems reasonable.
Stormrunner (see my icon) would be Earth-Born and Large.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
I did this instead of doing something useful like creating art for my existing heritages. Y'know, it used to be that it was so much easier for me to draw than to write. Then something flipped.

My Heritages_pages-to-jpg-0014.jpg

My Heritages_pages-to-jpg-0015.jpg

TheHand

Adventurer
I did this instead of doing something useful like creating art for my existing heritages. Y'know, it used to be that it was so much easier for me to draw than to write. Then something flipped.
I for one salute your creative brand of -- shall we call it ... procrastination (??) ;)

The nymph looks like another great addition! Now I want to run an all fey/woodland creature game.

The one power that might garner another look is "Stunning Looks", since the damage is quite good for a racial power and it does a stun, which is a really strong effect. Maybe it should be limited an additional way, such as only against humanoids (or even just living creatures? For instance, undead might not be as impressed but who am I to judge?).

Remove ads