• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Any word on (Full) 5e PDFs?

mcbobbo

Explorer
Clearly Basic PDFs are part of the plan. We've seen that. But what about "Full" PDFs? Any word on those? It would be nice to have a physical copy for the table and a digital copy for when I am out and about, or when I want to do a search.

Anyone heard anything lately?

They're pushing DungeonScape and the app as an alternative.

Speaking as someone who has paid money for HeroLabs for Pathfinder, a paid PFRD app, and the PDFs, when I want to use a PDF I will use the damn PDF and would rather not use the app.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Clearly Basic PDFs are part of the plan. We've seen that. But what about "Full" PDFs? Any word on those? It would be nice to have a physical copy for the table and a digital copy for when I am out and about, or when I want to do a search.

Yes; they're waiting for Dungeonscape to properly launch.

Dungeonscape should have the full text of the rulebooks in it; understandably, Wizards don't want to undercut their partners at this stage, and Mike Mearls has noted that they are considering what format the pdfs should be in if they get released. Do they need to be identical copies of the book? Do they need all the art and the same formatting?

However, we're still a bit away from their release; the major digital component will be Dungeonscape, and Wizards don't want to make it more difficult for that program by offering a competing product at this stage.

Cheers!

Paraxis

Explorer
If they don't want them to compete, all they have to do is make pdf's part of your purchases of the books in Dungeonscape.

You unlock the full PHB in dungeonscape, you get sent a pdf of it as well.

Seems simple to me, customer pays once gets extra value for the money spent and people who would otherwise not get into a digital system like Dungeonscape will try it out since to them that is the add on they are buying the pdf's and the digital tools are just icing on the cake.

Sometimes you just want to read the darn book on a portable device, not another version of the book or interactive digital system, just a plain old paperless version of the book you have sitting at home.

To me 20 dollars would be to much to unlock the players handbook in dungeonscape, it is also too much for a pdf. But together that price is just right.

Warunsun

First Post

Don't mean to be a downer but the Basic PDFs are the plan! :) And they are free and searchable. While I can't speak for anyone officially I'd say the chances of getting rulebook PDFs for fifth edition are almost zero. Their new strategy seems to be to sell everyone who plays D&D an expensive book or three and let middlemen or secondary companies deal with tie-in products. Probably not going to be a fifth edition rulebook PDF ever. They still are not selling PDF rulebooks they released last year in the premium reprint series.

The free Basic PDFs are the single smartest thing Wizards has ever done with the D&D property. Enjoy them.

Xenu

First Post
If they don't want them to compete, all they have to do is make pdf's part of your purchases of the books in Dungeonscape.

You unlock the full PHB in dungeonscape, you get sent a pdf of it as well.

Great idea! I must admit I've been underwhelmed with what I've seen of DungeonScape. This is about the only thing that would compel me to consider buying into it. I think I'm turning into a crusty old grognard. I prefer to do my character creation with a pencil and paper.

biotech66

Explorer
I have to admit, I've only seen Dungeonscape from afar. But if the only way to get their PDF is via some in app purchase that doesn't give me PDF I can download on my own, then piracy will just keep on truckin'. It happened with 4e, and its already happening with 5e. I'm interested in Dungeonscape, but it needs to give me what I want.

aramis erak

Legend
Don't mean to be a downer but the Basic PDFs are the plan! :) And they are free and searchable. While I can't speak for anyone officially I'd say the chances of getting rulebook PDFs for fifth edition are almost zero.

If one's not worried about legalities, the chances are 100%. There's a good B&W OCR scan of the PHB already.

And claims of a color MM scan.

WotC is losing out.

Last edited:

Remove ads