D&D 4E Anyone playing 4e at the moment?

I agree, I was just responding to Garthanos. However, I also have the same bug that Garthanos has and I like to tinker. I just have the urge to modify things. I did it when I was playing 4e and I do it with 5e. I always like to try and make things better (for me and my group).

For me, the underlying math of BA and advantage work better for the games I want to play then what 4e (and any other D&D style game) offers. So for me it is easier to bring things from 4e to 5e than the other way around.
Meh, honestly you can apply any math model you want to the 4e engine. I created a spreadsheet, the Engine Generator, which just takes some basic parameters and plugs them into the core math, so you can use any level bonus you want, any hit point progression you want, any damage progression, and any other types of bonus progressions (items, whatever) and feed them all in. It will tell you the outcome of a generic match up between a PC with expected PC general numbers and a monster of whatever level (IE how many rounds they will fight, etc.).

What I discovered is there's a whole range of solutions which produce fairly viable results where the match ups have desired levels of variance and average durations, and require some desired quantity of resource expenditure (to produce given likely basic lengths of adventuring days). You may also get somewhat different 'banding' (how large level variances can be before outcomes become totally one-sided).

The upshot of it is that wide bands require a lot of variance, low attack success plus high damage relative to total hit points. Neither 4e nor 5e really goes into that territory. They are not really much different. You could pretty much plug 5e's numbers into the 4e engine, albeit you have NADs instead of saves, a few things like that which don't actually change anything. While people SAY that 5e lets you use a wider range of power levels of monsters vs PCs, it isn't really very true. If you take the 30 level band of 4e and the 20 level band of 5e and stretch the later to fit the former, they have close to the same banding.

5e does use a wider range of monster stat mixes though. So, for example it has creatures with MANY more than baseline hit points, or much higher than normal defenses, or very high damage numbers relative to defense/hit points. These get somewhat weird, but you actually COULD do the same thing in 4e, there's no mechanical reason why not. It just gets very hard to assign the monster a level (and I'd note that 5e's CR system really doesn't work for the same reason).

My approach to HoML monsters is that they are like 4e monsters, except sometimes they might have an 'enhanced' attribute. So a certain creature that is a Lurker might have an enhanced damage output, potentially. That makes it a bit higher level than its baseline stats, but by doing this sort of design change in a systematic way, you can fairly assign level bonuses and leverage the engine a bit more in creature design vs 4e. That allows for somewhat less fancy power mechanics on the creature side, which I like.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Spheres of Might:
"Legendary Talents — for when games deserve to become truly epic, legendary talents allow games to reach beyond the gritty to truly mythical proportions, including leaping mountains, stealing skills, and bending armies of monsters to your will through sheer force of personality."
This is very intriguing I can see it implement with a PF mindset but there are ideas in there which are interesting. I expected they would have had one of mine where you are able to wrestle death itself to raise the dead within 3 day time of demise.

Wonder if elements would be stealable :p

Legendary Talents​

Death Valley Driver (slam) [Gravecaller's HB]​

You ceremoniously swing the creature’s body up over your back before dropping them onto their back.

#This one leverages level drain effect and similar 3.x things.

Earth-Shattering Slam (slam)​

When you successfully maintain a grapple against a creature as a standard action and choose to deal your unarmed strike damage to that target, you may expend your martial focus to also deal that damage to the ground as if using Shatter Earth from the Berserker sphere. If you successfully deal more damage to the ground than its hardness, not only is the ground broken as described by the Shatter Earth talent, but the target of your slam is also stuck into the ground, becoming entangled and unable to move from that spot.

Limb Ripper (slam)​

When you successfully maintain a grapple against a creature you have already pinned, you may expend your martial focus as an immediate action to attempt to remove a limb from them; the creature must make a successful Fortitude save or have one of its limbs removed by you (arms, legs, tentacles, or wings), ending the grapple.

Magic Killing Grip (slam)​

Treat the result of your grapple check as a dispel check against the target of your grapple as though you were making a targeted dispel with dispel magic

Tombstone Burial​

Whenever you successfully use Earth-Shattering Slam against a target, you may choose to bury them underground.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This is very intriguing I can see it implement with a PF mindset but there are ideas in there which are interesting. I expected they would have had one of mine where you are able to wrestle death itself to raise the dead within 3 day time of demise.

Wonder if elements would be stealable :p

Legendary Talents​

Death Valley Driver (slam) [Gravecaller's HB]​

You ceremoniously swing the creature’s body up over your back before dropping them onto their back.

#This one leverages level drain effect and similar 3.x things.
In 4e terms it might be a ongoing weakness inducing attack on fortitude with necrotic damage and making enemy grant ca for the rest of the fight maybe.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It might actually be harder to determine if some of these abilities already exist and could be just reflavored versions of some things that already exist than it is to translate them LOL.

Forinstance one that knocks an enemy into the ground without burying them?
does that not sound like dazed and immobilized save ends? although maybe it is higher level and does more damage and attacks fortitude
1631209617784.png

Last edited:

Does this not almost shout "Banishment" analogous for a 5e translation anyway
Well, to me Banishment really is EPIC whereas 'smashing the guy into the ground so hard he's stuck there' is pretty awesome, but not quite epic. Its a level of gonzo less. So I would say maybe MYTHS banish you to the center of the earth, LEGENDS cram you into the pavement, lol.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, to me Banishment really is EPIC whereas 'smashing the guy into the ground so hard he's stuck there' is pretty awesome, but not quite epic. Its a level of gonzo less. So I would say maybe MYTHS banish you to the center of the earth, LEGENDS cram you into the pavement, lol.
Nods I will buy that works for me. We should build a list of this badassery LOL

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I made a martial practice that allowed one to basically split the mountain ... patterned after the Passwall ritual with advantages and disadvantages. I am thinking a bunch of Terrain altering feats (Skill Powers and Practices) should come in at that point. (Engineering and Athletics skills)

Remove ads