D&D General Are all the freebies worth it when taking them means my Pc is a escaped slave that's wanted dead or alive and has a price of 58,290 Gold on his head?

JMISBEST

Explorer
Me and my group decided to quit the last campaign and start again. I've already generated my character, including his background, and he's got a very interesting 1, but because of the potential trouble it could cause The GM has said I can reroll it

So what do you think?. Are all the freebies worth it when taking them means my Pc is a escaped slave that's wanted dead or alive and has a price of 58,290 Gold on his head? or are they not worth it?

Here's more info

I netted myself A Fighter whose A Escaped Slave whose stats are Str 18, Con 15, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 11 and Ch 9 that has 8Hp

Basic background

My characters a escaped slave who in the process of escaping killed my owner and stole everything he started with

I will say that despite only being a newly created 1st level fighter I've seen 3 3rd level Fighters with less then half stuff that this guy has

In case your wondering how any 3rd level fighter could have less then half the stuff this guy has its because the 3, 1 per fighter, campaigns they were in used rules for buying noble titles and lands to go with them, almost everything they got was sold and the players intent was for their character to eventually purchase a title and lands to go with it

He escaped with/started with 11,000 Gold Coins, 8 months worth of food, 8 1-pint bottles of beer, 4 1-dose bottles of potion of healing, 3 light pack horse’s, 2 sets of clothing, 1 bedroll, 1 tent, 1 suit of chainmail, 1 short bow, 1 shield, 1 light riding horse, 1 +2 Arrow, 1 +1 Dagger, 1 jar that holds 40 Gold Coins worth of the herb saffron and 1 jar that holds 40 Gold Coins worth of tobacco

On the bad side my character is a very wanted escaped slave who murdered his owner and absconded with a fortune

This means that if my characters is wanted dead or alive, if taken alive he will be executed without trial, the price on his head is 58,290 Gold and if he's caught anyone that’s with him will be sentenced to slavery, also without trial

And

Making it even worse is that he has the following price on his head

Escaped slave that in the process of escaping killed his owner

6D6x1,000 Gold Coins or 30,000 Gold Coins

In the process of escaping stealing cash and/or valuables worth 11,080 Gold Coins

4D6+2x100+11,100 Gold Coins or 13,800 Gold Coins

In the process of escaping stealing 8 months worth of food, 8 2-pint bottles of beer, 3 light pack horse’s, 2 sets of clothing, 1 bedroll, 1 tent, 1 suit of chainmail, 1 short bow, 1 shield, 1 light riding horse

2,490 Gold Coins

In the process of escaping stealing 4 1-dose bottles of potion of healing, 1 +2 Arrow and 1 +1 Dagger

12,000 Gold Coins

Total price on my characters head

58,290 Gold Coins

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Me and my group decided to quit the last campaign and start again. I've already generated my character, including his background, and he's got a very interesting 1, but because of the potential trouble it could cause The GM has said I can reroll it

So what do you think?. Are all the freebies worth it when taking them means my Pc is a escaped slave that's wanted dead or alive and has a price of 58,290 Gold on his head? or are they not worth it?

Here's more info

I netted myself A Fighter whose A Escaped Slave whose stats are Str 18, Con 15, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 11 and Ch 9 that has 8Hp

Basic background

My characters a escaped slave who in the process of escaping killed my owner and stole everything he started with

I will say that despite only being a newly created 1st level fighter I've seen 3 3rd level Fighters with less then half stuff that this guy has

In case your wondering how any 3rd level fighter could have less then half the stuff this guy has its because the 3, 1 per fighter, campaigns they were in used rules for buying noble titles and lands to go with them, almost everything they got was sold and the players intent was for their character to eventually purchase a title and lands to go with it

He escaped with/started with 11,000 Gold Coins, 8 months worth of food, 8 1-pint bottles of beer, 4 1-dose bottles of potion of healing, 3 light pack horse’s, 2 sets of clothing, 1 bedroll, 1 tent, 1 suit of chainmail, 1 short bow, 1 shield, 1 light riding horse, 1 +2 Arrow, 1 +1 Dagger, 1 jar that holds 40 Gold Coins worth of the herb saffron and 1 jar that holds 40 Gold Coins worth of tobacco

On the bad side my character is a very wanted escaped slave who murdered his owner and absconded with a fortune

This means that if my characters is wanted dead or alive, if taken alive he will be executed without trial, the price on his head is 58,290 Gold and if he's caught anyone that’s with him will be sentenced to slavery, also without trial

And

In the process of escaping stealing cash and/or valuables worth 11,080 Gold Coins

In the process of escaping stealing 8 months worth of food, 8 2-pint bottles of beer, 3 light pack horse’s, 2 sets of clothing, 1 bedroll, 1 tent, 1 suit of chainmail, 1 short bow, 1 shield, 1 light riding horse

2,490 Gold Coins

In the process of escaping stealing 4 1-dose bottles of potion of healing, 1 +2 Arrow and 1 +1 Dagger

12,000 Gold Coins

58,290 Gold Coins
How does he carry that much stuff?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I suspect most DMs aren't keen to start characters with 11,000gp and a magic weapon. However, if everyone thinks that will lead to a great story and adventure, then give it a whirl. You'll find out later if spending effort calculating bounties to the exact GP makes your game more fun or less fun and learn by doing.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Unless there’s something I’m missing is there any mechanical/table reason why your character has all this stuff or is it just the justification of ‘i got it in my backstoryTM’?

You could start with functionally exactly the same backstory of ‘was a slave, killed their owner and took some of their stuff, is now a wanted criminal dead or alive, reward 200g’ and only ended up stealing enough for the standard fighter’s gear/starting money, maybe a free horse that you rode away on (although just as likely you might have had to ditch it to prevent being identified from it and selling it is where you got your starter money)

But I’m not at your table I don’t know the specific circumstances, are the other players getting equal amount of loot from their backstories? I’m not saying what you want from your backstory is wrong but to me it feels unnecessarily excessive.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Be weary of other players who want to make a new character to 'hang' out with your guy and 'go to town' for a quick minute. If I could gain that much money by turning on you I just might. Of course, the part about becoming a slave with no trial from just being found with you may make me need to kill you first to claim it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Also, the DM saying, “wow this character could cause a lot of trouble for you; you can re-roll if you want” sounds like they don’t really want to have to deal with that trouble as an element of the campaign, but also don’t want to directly tell you not to play that character. Take the hint.

nevin

Hero

Here's more info

Basic background

And

2,490 Gold Coins

12,000 Gold Coins

58,290 Gold Coins
heck yeah, I could have a blast with that.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Also, the DM saying, “wow this character could cause a lot of trouble for you; you can re-roll if you want” sounds like they don’t really want to have to deal with that trouble as an element of the campaign, but also don’t want to directly tell you not to play that character. Take the hint.
That bounty is so large I feel like your character should have an endless stream of bounty hunters and guards everywhere constantly after them, or it would stand out as incredibly oddly conspicuous that there aren’t any.

The DM doesn’t have a good choice either way.

Edit:Also I don’t think bounty’s are calculated on the worth of how much someone has stolen but rather have a relative size to how much the person who wants them caught wants them caught.

Remove ads