D&D 5E Are we in D&D's Golden Age?

Oofta

Legend
I'd say the late 70s to early 80s were the golden age. If I had to give it an exact time, I would say ....

1977 - 1984

This includes all Moldvay/Cook and the BEC of BECMI, all the best core 1e books (though MM2), and all the truly classic modules. A flowering of talent and a huge boom in popularity. The ability to purchase games anywhere from Waldenbooks to Sears to KayBee Toys.

This is more like ... the platinum age. Comes later, with 5x the value. :censored:
I would say it's more like the Sir McStabsalot era. Why? Because it's AWESOME!

Oofta

Legend
The little while back I happened to mention at work that I was DMing a game the upcoming weekend. Two other people said they also had a game scheduled, a third mentioned that they used to but haven't for the past year or so because life just got too busy.

It wasn't that long ago I would have hesitated to mention it, or had people look at me funny if I did. Not that they don't still look at me funny now and then, but at least it has nothing to do with D&D any more.

Wulffolk

Explorer
I think that what is being attributed to D&D5e is more the result of social media and our current culture/society than the state of the game. I think that 2e and 3e would have done just as well if this was their time. Both 2e and 3e had many more books to draw from.

However much people think that those editions were more complex we still managed to figure them out and loved playing them, even without being able to get answers from online sources.

I personally see most of D&D's history as one continuous ever-growing golden age, with just the one relatively short tragic era of darkness and uncertainty that was 4e.

DwarfHammer

Explorer
I don’t think so. Not enough creative settings imho. When I start seeing lots of player websites that showcase their own creations I will think we are in a golden age. It’s all very commercial driven to me. That’s just my opinion and taste.

If this now are good times, I hope after the movies and videogames it could be even better. The media titles are the best advertising for the no-English-speakers markets.

New challenges? D20 system with a right power balance if there are modern technology, to allow adaptations of no-medieval-fantasy franchises, for example shooter videogames or superheroes.

Oofta

Legend
I couldn't disagree more. I feel like we're buried in creations right now!
Take a look a the DmsGuild sometime. A quick search found 380 modules. I don't know how many creations anyone could want.

Opening up some other traditional settings might be nice, but I understand why they want some control and baseline over them before opening them up.

DwarfHammer

Explorer
Take a look a the DmsGuild sometime. A quick search found 380 modules. I don't know how many creations anyone could want.

Opening up some other traditional settings might be nice, but I understand why they want some control and baseline over them before opening them up.
Can you provide links to non-commercial settings. I would like to read them. I love to read people’s homebrew content and see what they are creating.

Remove ads