• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Are You Happy with the Selection of Subclasses?

Remathilis

Legend
Yes, bit it is a parallelism with Wild Mage, and ties into unique WotC-owned IP. So it makes sense.
Wild magic isn't really Chaos magic from Limbo and has nothing to do with the planes or Slaad. It's just raw, unrefined magic.

And I don't think IP is a factor. The GOO lock mentions Cthulhu and the barbarian Yggdrasil, neither of which are WotC IP. My honest guess is that both subs in Tasha's are finished and well liked (mostly due to the bonus spells) and WotC can't be tossed to fix the others. That's a "when we get around to the revised Everything book" problem I guess.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wild magic isn't really Chaos magic from Limbo and has nothing to do with the planes or Slaad. It's just raw, unrefined magic.

And I don't think IP is a factor. The GOO lock mentions Cthulhu and the barbarian Yggdrasil, neither of which are WotC IP. My honest guess is that both subs in Tasha's are finished and well liked (mostly due to the bonus spells) and WotC can't be tossed to fix the others. That's a "when we get around to the revised Everything book" problem I guess.
It's not an exact mirror, but it is a parallelism. And yeah, being popular (lole Celwstial Warlock, Gloomstalker Ranger, and Swashbuckler Rogue are) might be a major factor. If the Aberrant and Clockwork Sorcerers are very popular compared to other options, may as well include them, seems to me.

DavyGreenwind

Just some guy
I'm overall happy. There's a few glaring omissions theme-wise, but they seem backwards compatible enough for the time being. I'll be looking forward to a reworked Inquisitive Rogue (please just call it Detective) with all the cool new Rogue stuff.

I think we'll get a splatbook "Tasha Presents" that will have the Artificer, all the updated spells and items from Tasha's and Xanathars, and 4 or 5 subclasses per class, mostly from Tasha and Xanathar, and also the newer subclasses from Ravenloft, Fizban's, Bigby's, and Dragonlance, and maybe a couple new ones.

It'll synthesize and mostly replace Xanathars and Tashas just like MP:MOTM did with MToF and VGM.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
OK, they still can get advantage on Athletic checks. Grapple isn't spelled noun as a Subclass ability, and isn't a problem for compatability.

Yes, they can Channel Divnkty for advantages and bonuses on Arhletics checks. Whixh is still there and fully functional. Not related to Grapple explicitly.
Just because it wasn't explicit, that doesn't mean it isn't an unintentional nerf to a subclass already on the weaker side. I think Crawford even said once in talking about that class that was the main point of that ability. Come on man, my point stands. They need to tweak a bunch of these subclasses, that one included. They don't all function as intended now with some rules changes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Just because it wasn't explicit, that doesn't mean it isn't an unintentional nerf to a subclass already on the weaker side. I think Crawford even said once in talking about that class that was the main point of that ability. Come on man, my point stands. They need to tweak a bunch of these subclasses, that one included. They don't all function as intended now with some rules changes.
The Subclass has been tweaked,and still has the ability to easily get Advantage on Athletics and Acrobatics checks. The point of that ability (not even the main Level 3 ability) is for skill challenge situations, not combat.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The Subclass has been tweaked,and still has the ability to easily get Advantage on Athletics and Acrobatics checks. The point of that ability (not even the main Level 3 ability) is for skill challenge situations, not combat.
LOL for what? Skill Challenges, which isn't even a 5e rule?

OK man, you don't think the subclasses need updating, that's fine. I do. I am betting I am not alone in that belief.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

OK man, you don't think the subclasses need updating, that's fine. I do. I am betting I am not alone in that belief.
This one has been updated, in packet 6. Not 4E style "Skill challenges", I mean things like foot races or discus throws: inexplicably an ability to allow the Hero Paladin to shine in Olympic style sports competitions. That's how that particular ability was sold in the original UA back in the day: it's probsvly a ribbon, a ribbon which still works as designed.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Yup, reviewing the packet 6 Paladin Subclasses, and "Peerless Athlete" is definitely a ribbon: the other three Clasees get 2 Features at Level 3, Oath Spells and a damage or HP based Channel Divinity ability. Oath of Glory gets both of those (bonus HP for Channel Divinity on a hit, Inspirimg Smite), and a third ability to get advantage on Skill checks and lift and jump better. No later Level ability has anything do with grappling, nor does the Tasha's/Theros version. This is a ribbon to allow this particular Subclass to excel at Athletic and Acrobatic Skilability for RP purposes, not a combat ability as with the Dance Bsrd or Brawler Fighter.

Remove ads