D&D 5E Arguing, ideating and solution-seeking on the D&D Enworld forum

Overall, which of the following best describes Enworld's D&D forum discussions? (choose THREE)

• A1. Too much arguing

• A2. Just the right amount of arguing

• A3. Not enough arguing

• B1. Too much ideation/brainstorming

• B2. Just the right amount of ideation/brainstorming

• B3. Not enough ideation/brainstorming

• C1: Too many creative solutions

• C2: Just the right amount of creative solutions

• C3: Not enough creative solutions

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheSword

Legend
It’s a shame you need to put a [+] at the start of a thread to stop the premise of the thread being attacked… and sometimes even that doesn’t work. It would be nice if that was a general approach of the forum.

Other than that, a bit of contention is a good thing. Sometimes it’s worth registering a dissenting view just so the conversation doesn’t devolve into a self-reinforcing echo chamber.

We could definitely have more creativity on here I think. Particularly around published adventures. A lot of published adventure threads get drowned out by complaints about how DMs shouldn’t need to put work in. Instead of coming together as a community to try and find ways to improve things and share that for the good of all.

Tallifer

Hero
Enworld's discussions are usually more fruitful than those anywhere else. I can always find some new ideas, meticulous essays and clear explanations, if I put up with the background noise.

I have to censor myself frequently, but that is how a man should talk in polite company anyway. Usually I just have to edit myself to communicate very clearly.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
IME, there are a couple of pretty red flags that go up and generally mean that the productive portion of the thread is over:

1. Trotting out dictionary definitions. I'm sorry, but I totally agree with @Umbran here. Every single time someone trots out dueling dictionaries, that line of discussion is pretty much over.

2. Diving down into examples instead of engaging the idea. This is something I'm more than guilty of. Poster says X, poster gives an example of X, and then spends the next five pages trying to show why that example is a good example of X instead of actually discussing the idea.
I'd add in...

3. A change to the game that the poster doesn't like, so they declare it was made because the WotC game designers were just lazy or stupid.

(Generic) you might not like something, but to ascribe those traits to the people on the D&D team rather than just perhaps realize the designers in Seattle just don't agree with you on how the game should be presented is the fastest way I know I personally will jump into the thread with both feet, ready to take the shots you are aiming at Crawford et. al. :)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It’s a shame you need to put a [+] at the start of a thread to stop the premise of the thread being attacked… and sometimes even that doesn’t work. It would be nice if that was a general approach of the forum.
Yeah, but sometimes folks use the to dump a hot take that cant be discussed because that wouldn't be +...
Other than that, a bit of contention is a good thing. Sometimes it’s worth registering a dissenting view just so the conversation doesn’t devolve into a self-reinforcing echo chamber.
Agreed.
We could definitely have more creativity on here I think. Particularly around published adventures. A lot of published adventure threads get drowned out by complaints about how DMs shouldn’t need to put work in. Instead of coming together as a community to try and find ways to improve things and share that for the good of all.
I really miss the old Paizo sub-forums for the adventure paths. Folks did exactly this. If one of the writers goofed up an encounter, people offered solutions instead of crying about it. The community really came together and had some great supplemental material and ideas to take the adventures to the next level.

TheSword

Legend
I really miss the old Paizo sub-forums for the adventure paths. Folks did exactly this. If one of the writers goofed up an encounter, people offered solutions instead of crying about it. The community really came together and had some great supplemental material and ideas to take the adventures to the next level.
Yeah, totally agree. Some golden stuff came off those. I sometimes think people expect WOC stuff to spring from the page perfect like the word of god. Rather than be something that requires adaption to one’s own group.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, totally agree. Some golden stuff came off those. I sometimes think people expect WOC stuff to spring from the page perfect like the word of god. Rather than be something that requires adaption to one’s own group.
There has never been a single module, not one, that I didnt have to put effort into bringing to life. I know the common refrain is to just make own content then. For me, I need that foundation to work off of. Give me a good skeleton and I will flesh that out all day long.

Remove ads