D&D (2024) Armaments, replacing equipment with more interesting options.

Horwath

Legend
Any particular reason you hate it?
it's too limiting for players.

Why do you need short rest for changing weapons?
Why only fighter can do it in bonus action? Does fighter have magic fullplate that instantly removes/dones itself?
Do other classes have weapons welded to their arms so they need short rest to change them?

what if my character has a polearm, a longbow and sword+shield?
how long does it take to go from one set to another?
let's say that my character is ranger.

As I said, I really like the idea for fast NPC/army creation.

mellored

Legend
Why do you need short rest for changing weapons?
You can change between your melee and ranged at will.

Might not of been clear, but I intended for barbarians to have great axe and throwing axes. Monks would have unarmed attacks and ninja stars (?). Ranger could have 2 short sword and a long bow. Etc...
Why only fighter can do it in bonus action? Does fighter have magic fullplate that instantly removes/dones itself?
Could be 5 minutes instead of a short rest i guess. But I was trying to give the fighter something that let them be better at weapons and armor than anyone else. They also have more ways to build them.
Do other classes have weapons welded to their arms so they need short rest to change them?
I expect they have anything beyond a melee and ranged weapon in their bag. Having 5+ weapons ready to draw at a moments notice seems like it would get things tangled up.
what if my character has a polearm, a longbow and sword+shield?
how long does it take to go from one set to another?
let's say that my character is ranger.
I've never seen anyone do that. Especially with fighting style, feats, and a magic weapon. People pick one weapon to be good at, and maybe have a back up. If you take crossbow expert, you never considered at another weapon against.

But again, switching between bow to 2-weapons (which is the iconic ranger) is free.
As I said, I really like the idea for fast NPC/army creation.
Thanks

Lojaan

Hero
I think I get what you are going for, but it feels a bit too computer gamey for me. Not saying it is a bad idea, just saying that it interrupts my immersion. I fee like I am not playing a person, I'm playing a game avatar.

Which, ironically, I am, but it doesn't feel good to be reminded of that.

It's like saying we have removed all food and drink from the game because a player's character does not need to interact with them to do the adventure. It would be most likely have no impact on the actual game but it would still feel.... off. Sometimes we need those little, irrelevant things, in order to slowly step into character.

mellored

Legend
I think I get what you are going for, but it feels a bit too computer gamey for me. Not saying it is a bad idea, just saying that it interrupts my immersion. I fee like I am not playing a person, I'm playing a game avatar.

Which, ironically, I am, but it doesn't feel good to be reminded of that.

It's like saying we have removed all food and drink from the game because a player's character does not need to interact with them to do the adventure. It would be most likely have no impact on the actual game but it would still feel.... off. Sometimes we need those little, irrelevant things, in order to slowly step into character.
You don't have separate rules for orange juice, bread, pizzas, cheese, walnuts, etc.. and expect people to buy their rations, and can end up with a -1 because they didn't balance their diet correctly.

Just X days worth of food. The rest is up to the player's imagination.

Similarly, rogues can do 1d6 weapon damage. And not get penalized if they want to use a blow gun instead of a shortbow, or dagger instead of a rapier.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
You don't have separate rules for orange juice, bread, pizzas, cheese, walnuts, etc.. and expect people to buy their rations, and can end up with a -1 because they didn't balance their diet correctly.

Just X days worth of food. The rest is up to the player's imagination.

Similarly, rogues can do 1d6 weapon damage. And not get penalized if they want to use a blow gun instead of a shortbow, or dagger instead of a rapier.
Possible rule "Weapons - When using a two-handed weapon you do base damage equal to the size of the largest hit dice you have from a class that can use that weapon. When using a one handed weapon you use dice that are one step smaller. Apply stat bonunses as usual."
Thus Wizards do 1d4 with a Dagger, but Rogues do 1d6, Fighters do 1d8 and Barbarians do 1d10?

Horwath

Legend
Possible rule "Weapons - When using a two-handed weapon you do base damage equal to the size of the largest hit dice you have from a class that can use that weapon. When using a one handed weapon you use dice that are one step smaller. Apply stat bonunses as usual."
Thus Wizards do 1d4 with a Dagger, but Rogues do 1d6, Fighters do 1d8 and Barbarians do 1d10?
why would anyone give up +2 AC from a shield for pathetic +1 damage from a 2Handed weapon.

2Handed weapons need 2 or probably 3 dice increase over 1Handed weapons.

mellored

Legend
All the numbers I suggest are the same as if you bought items. Didn't want to change the math.

It's just faster, less to track, can do more things, and allows for players to flavor things themselves.

mellored

Legend
Found an RPG that is doing this.

Instead of individual items, you get proficiency in a few "kits". Each one gives some stats, and details are left up to the player to describe.

Kits.png

Yaarel

He Mage
Instead of individual items, you get proficiency in a few "kits". Each one gives some stats, and details are left up to the player to describe.
This approach reminds me of D&D 4e Gamma World, where weapons abstract to "Heavy" or "Light", and the player chooses how to describe it.

There is also a distinction between "Melee" and Missile (Gun), and One Hand or Two Hand.

Remove ads