Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

D

DQDesign

[MENTION=6563]Azzy[/MENTION]

I don't believe 'boats&ships' was in development since before 2015 when the first Artificer appeared.

Anyway, I don't want to change anything, if wotc thinks boats deserve a printed product before the Artificer or wayfinder, that's fine. Fool for me, but I'm just one.

D

DQDesign

Artificer is not "iconic" for D&D. It has very little history relative to much of the game, was not on the top 10 list of classes people wanted to see during the playtest of the game, there is just no metric which places artificer as "iconic". Ships, on the other hand, have been a part of this game since almost day 1 in the 1970s and had support in every edition of the game on some level.

when I think to dnd there are a lot of images in my mind of skilled dwarves and gnomes tinkering on technomagic items in their labs and very few ferries and oars, but it seems that I'm strict minority in this place. which is not a bad thing by itself, obviously.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
[MENTION=6563]Azzy[/MENTION]

I don't believe 'boats&ships' was in development since before 2015 when the first Artificer appeared.

I didn't say or imply that it was. When the artifice first showed up, it (like the mystic, the Krynn stuff, the mass-combat rules, and a bunch of other things) was just WotC trying things out with no actual products on the immediate schedule to place them in. It wasn't until Wayfinder's Guide (and actually getting Keith Baker involved) that the artificer was seen as anything to look at seriously instead of as some nebulous "something for someday". There are still things from the early UAs that haven't been touched on since—the only reason that the artificer is special is it's a lot closer to seeing print. The closer we get to Dark Sun, we'll also see the psion (in some form or another), but until that's in the print queue we probably won't see hide nor hair of it.

dave2008

Legend
... just based on the astounding sales of wayfinder's on dmsguild.

You should be careful with this statement as we don't really know it has "astounding sales." We know if qualifies for the adamantine level which I believe is 5,000 sales. However, if I recall correctly, WotC is looking to make about 150,000 sales per product. So 5,000 is a long way away from their sales goals.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Sorry to ruin your party, but this is complete non-news.

And can somebody point out that its been four years. It's mighty rich asking us to have patience.

They could have released this a year ago, or two years ago. Suggesting this month makes a difference feels like a punch to the face.

The real story is that WotC chooses to not release content.

Where's the revised Beastmaster?

Where's the psionics?

We've gotten exactly zero new classes, and a bunch of subclasses that mostly just change existing concepts around, without providing any new mechanics.

They owe none of that to you.

They class comes out when it’s ready. This isn’t previous editions, and they aren’t obligated to any release schedule.

A gun-based subclass is unlikely to be in the "official" UA Artificer design, since that is probably going to be quite closely connected with Eberron. However there may well be a wand-user archetype that could be converted.
And there is pretty definitely going to be even more gunslinger-type classes around on DMsGuild.

So you think they're going to toss the gun subclass that they were already testing in the last artificer article? I hope not.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Shouldn't we be waiting like 16 more years for an updated then?! 4-5 years is way to fast for me! ;)

Thank goodness, I would be happy if they completely stopped releasing content.

There isn't one - I thought they made this clear.

Unfortunately I think they will make this - I've always hated psionics and will have to happily ignore them once again I guess. Maybe WotC / Hasbro will go bankrupt before they get to it - I can dream ;)

Sorry - I'm a bit off today and felt like being the dissenting voice.

I was enjoying the post and laughing with you until you you hated psionics.

:mad:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm just curious if they made an attempt at a crafting system. If not I'll just stick to the Gadgeteer and Craftsman classes from Mage Hand Press.
Yep...honestly, I'm way more excited for MHP to finish up their new binder than for anything WotC is putting out in 2019.

D

DQDesign

You should be careful with this statement as we don't really know it has "astounding sales." We know if qualifies for the adamantine level which I believe is 5,000 sales. However, if I recall correctly, WotC is looking to make about 150,000 sales per product. So 5,000 is a long way away from their sales goals.

ok, it is not astounding.
It is only 5,000 copies over the boats thing and, most important to me, 100+ 5-stars ratings above.

Remove ads

Remove ads