• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Augment Summoning ... how worthwhile ?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Teneb said:
... I completely disagree with your take on Natural Spell Saeviomagy. Your post comes off as needlessly snarky as well, in my opinion. Natural Spell doesn't double as Still and Silent Spell, however how is the Bad Guy supposed to know if that squirrel is chittering angrily or casting a flamestrike? There are certainly ways to determine if a wildshaped druid is about (detect magic, knowledge nature, ad nauseum), but I really don't think the druid needs to make any sort of a bluff, move silent, or whatever kind of skill role to "hide" his casting. However, YMMV.

See - if someone writes a little story about bending the rules, and accomplishing something that is obviously way too good (ie - there is not a possible way to distinguish the casting animal from the others), then I don't think it's snarky to point out that that is in fact what they've done.

Regardless of your form, casting a spell requires a strong, firm voice, concentration and unusual hand gestures.

Regardless of your form, spellcraft easily recognises spellcasting. After all, it has no problem detecting (say) a kraken mage, or a beholder mage, or a mage speaking french when you speak english. The language and gestures of magic are universal enough that one can pick them out with ease.

A wildshaped druid is no different.

Saying "it requires knowledge nature/detect magic/survival/speak with animals" to detect a spellcasting mage is like saying that it requires tongues and knowledge (dungeoneering) to detect a spellcasting aboleth.

Sorry. No dice.

With that in mind, if you want to try the "I'm just a bird, don't mind me, I'm not casting spells at you at all" trick, then you might want to invest in the skills necessary to do so, such as hide and bluff, or the feats necessary to do so, such as still and silent spell.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Rashak Mani said:
Teneb, so your Druid gets away from the "tainted" business by asking mother nature for spell power ? :lol: Thanks for the input...

Without going into too much detail, the arcane side of the magical power has become tainted and anyone using it risks becoming tainted. Only the divine side is currently safe to use. Druids tap into the divine side of the magical energies which are safe. There's still wizards and sorcerers about, but they are not common, feared by the general populace, and thus they tend to hide from the public researching ways to somehow cure the taint.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:
See - if someone writes a little story about bending the rules, and accomplishing something that is obviously way too good (ie - there is not a possible way to distinguish the casting animal from the others), then I don't think it's snarky to point out that that is in fact what they've done.

Was it not obvious from the story that the foes were low-int humanoids?

Saeviomagy, I'll cut you some slack since you aren't familiar with my campaign world. In general, spellcasters are not common. Thus, people are not familiar with spellcasting, let alone how to recognize it.

As for detecting an animal-formed druid casting spells, I say it is a heckuva lot more difficult that you make it out to be. The voice of a wildshaped caster sounds like the animal he's assumed. The spell gestures now become wing flaps or claw motions that may be almost impossible to see from any further than a few feet away.

Here's some examples to demonstrate it:

A) Flock of birds, all squawking and hovering above a hundred feet up. At that height, it would take an extremely keen eye to detect any difference in their wing motions, probably in the DC40 range, and pretty much impossible to pinpoint which one of them made the extra caw-CAW-caw sound amongst them. Using magic would make this task much easier, but if the enemy on the ground has none, they pretty much have to just start picking off birds and hope they get lucky.

For increased difficulty, if the druid was a hummingbird, I'd say the differences in the wing motions caused during casting would be pretty much impossible to detect. In real life you'd need to video-tape it and slow it down. In a fantasy world, the equivalent would take magic.

B) Bunch of squirrels in trees. Ever been in a heavy forest before where there are tons of squirrels? I have. They make a variety of sounds ranging from chirps to screaches to warn other squirrels of the danger, and possibly to try to scare off intruders. With fairly dense foliage, if you are very still and focus your ears and eyes, you can eventually spot them (pretty much like taking a 10). But they continually move, often running up and down the backsides of limbs, so it can be difficult to pinpoint even one for more than a couple seconds before you lose track of them. Now let's suppose one of those squirrels is a shapeshifted druid. It might be possible to notice a slightly different sound coming from one of them, but not necessarily obvious unless you were at least somewhat with squirrel sounds (I'd estimate Knowledge Nature: DC 5). Even then, spotting him is still as difficult as with the other squirrels, and if you do see it, chances are it will be extremely difficult to detect any unusual head or claw motions it is making. They often sit and eat seeds or nuts (even while making danger sounds at you). Unless you're some kind of squirrel guru, determing if the front paw motion is due to it shelling a seed vs. casting a spell would be pretty much impossible.

So long as a druid takes a form that blends in well with the environment, detecting their spellcasting is extremely difficult without magical means.

Saeviomagy said:
Regardless of your form, spellcraft easily recognises spellcasting. After all, it has no problem detecting (say) a kraken mage, or a beholder mage, or a mage speaking french when you speak english.

Spellcraft could detect it, assuming you can see it and identify it as such. So I'd say you could use spellcraft to pick out a basically bipedal creature's casting. In this campaign world where magic is rare, feared and even persecuted, few people take time to study it, and spellcraft is a skill that few people or monsters have.

Saeviomagy said:
The language and gestures of magic are universal enough that one can pick them out with ease.

Within your own race, yes. Outside of it, definitely not.

Humanoid magic sounds would be along the lines of this: "Amono Kato Jalat Zu!" along with four fingers outstretched, hand up.

The equivalent spell in hawk sounds like "Screech-Shreek-Sccrree-Screek" with the wing tip lifted up slightly.

Sorry, but a spellcaster or someone who puts points in spellcraft doesn't automatically know every possible creatures variations to cast the same spell. Other humanoids can easily spot the humanoid caster as such, and other birds could probably identify the hawk as such, but there's no easy cross-over between broad species.

Caster sees an octopus moving it's tentacles. "I recognize that tentacle motion. See how he squeezes the 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 27th suction cup, then pulls up the other tentacle and then lets it drop down. That's obviously a detect magic spell." Yeah, right. Come back when you've got about 20 ranks in Knowledge (Octopi Arcane Casting).

Saeviomagy said:
Saying "it requires knowledge nature/detect magic/survival/speak with animals" to detect a spellcasting mage is like saying that it requires tongues and knowledge (dungeoneering) to detect a spellcasting aboleth.

Totally different case. An aboleth is creature known to have magical powers. If you manage to see one (tough as they usually use illusion to disguise themself) and it so much as gurgles or twitches, you'd have to assume it probably is casting a spell.

Mundane animals are just the opposite. A cat purs and scratches its ear, a dog barks and wags its tail, while a bird chips and flaps its wings. If you see those things happen, even in a fantasy world, you do not assume they are casting a spell. If it was the only living thing in view and a spell was cast, it would still be very hard to be sure that it was true the source of the spell w/o other methods of detection to back it up.

If that cat purs again and scratches its ear the exact same way a 2nd time and the same spell gets cast again, then there's a pretty darn good chance there's a connection. Given enough time, and few distractions, a shapeshifted druid casting spells will probably become apparent. But that may take several rounds, and by then it will probably be far too late to even matter. Amongst other creatures, all moving, it may be almost impossible.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Kalendraf said:
Without going into too much detail, the arcane side of the magical power has become tainted and anyone using it risks becoming tainted. Only the divine side is currently safe to use. Druids tap into the divine side of the magical energies which are safe. There's still wizards and sorcerers about, but they are not common, feared by the general populace, and thus they tend to hide from the public researching ways to somehow cure the taint.
Ay, someone's been reading too much Robert Jordan. ;)

I had a DM do something similar and the response was, "This is D&D, don't mess with the balance. If you want to play WoT, we'll pull out the WoT books."

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
After your experience as a blaster, I do not think you will find the Druid impressive, no matter how many spellcasting feats you take. The Druid has better offense than a Cleric, but he is waaaaay behind a real blaster wizard.

Augment Summoning is a very good choice unless you dislike summoning for some reason. If in doubt play to the class strengths. The Druid's best tricks are Wildshape, spontaneous summoning on a beefy creature list, and the spell Animal Growth. If Wildshaping is not your cup of tea, then boost the other two for maximum synergy.

The only downside of summoning is the one round casting time. That can be a problem if your party is small and you are unprotected. OTOH, you do have an Animal Companion for a reason.

Let's look at a 2nd level spell with Augment Summoning. You get a Dire Badger which Rages if hit. His stats are (while Raging) 40 HP, AC 14, 2 claws +8 (1d4+6) and bite +6(1d6+3). This is no speed bump! It can dish out some nice damage. All for a 2nd level spell.

Now consider a 3rd level spell... Augmented Dire Wolf: 57 HP, AC 14, bite +13 (1d8+13) plus Trip. As a Large 29 Str creature, it will win a lot of trips. Or Augmented Lion: 42 HP, AC 15, 2 claws +9 (1d4+7) adn bite +4 (1d8 +3). Plus pounce, improved grab, rake 1d4+3. As a Large 25 Strength creature with three attacks (five on a charge), the Lion will grapple the majority of your opponents with ease. And remember that it can get multiple grapple attempts per round, which means it can easily get lucky against even the likes of Ogres and Giants.

I would say that Augmented Lion could probably kill your party Fighter singlehandedly in a fair fight. The grapple is absolutely murder on any Medium humanoids who does not have both Combat Reflexes and Close Quarter Fighting.

Summoning grappling creatures has fabulous synergy with Rogues BTW. Sneak Attacks! The Trip is very handy to the party Fighters. +4 to hit and an effective +4 boost to AC. The best part of these team tactics is that it is very, very fun for the players involved.

Last edited:

RithTheAwakener

First Post
yeah, my entire group thought druids were completely worthless and i could not get them to believe me till i played one. I far out damaged everyone else in the group and had quite a few pets and animals that wrecked a lot of stuff, they were all quite suprised... it was really fun :D druids are very nice, especially low level with those summon spells said above, and with Produce Flame (ranged touch attack d6 fire dmg) and Flame Blade (melee touch atack d8 fire) you can cut thru the front line of enemies by yourself. very versatile

Treebore

First Post
I like playing Druids, I know how wicked they can be, as a summoner and as a shapeshifter, but as a DM I would say that a spellcasting squirrel/monkey/pick animal is casting a spell it would be detected by a Spot check and then a spellcraft check as per the rules. As someone said earlier, no matter what form my Druid is casting a spell is not "natural behavior", so should stand out and be recognizeable to someone who knows what to look for.

As for the earlier response to my accusing WOTC being bad at balancing feats, I will keep my opinion. What would have been so bad to have made the feat a two stage stackable feat instead of requiring a Druid to have a useless spell focus feat for Conjuration? Granted the end result is still the same, two used feats, but at least none of them would be a "throw away" feat for the purpose of game balance. Ultimately only a difference in somantics, unless of course you only take one of the two feats. If WOTC figured a feat giving a +1 BAB and +1 per HD of a creature is unbalancing, well, I would be in total disagreement. To require a Druid to throw away one of the few feats they get is rediculous.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Spell Focus (Conjuration) being a prerequisite for Augment Summoning isn't problematic. Spell Focus (Conjuration) being a lousy feat is problematic.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Kalendraf said:
As for detecting an animal-formed druid casting spells, I say it is a heckuva lot more difficult that you make it out to be. The voice of a wildshaped caster sounds like the animal he's assumed. The spell gestures now become wing flaps or claw motions that may be almost impossible to see from any further than a few feet away.
If I take a second, I can picture in my head what a spellcasting squirrel might look like. It's comical, but more importantly, it's unnatural. The gestures and words for spellcasting in Common/humanoid don't look like walking, or coughing, or straightening your tie. They are strange and unusual. Why should they be any different because you're a squirrel? Or a bird, or whatever?

Giving animals some kind of "stealth casting" attribute does indeed overpower Natural Spell. And if there's anything in D&D that doesn't need to be more powerful, it's Druids and Natural Spell.

Boddha

Explorer
Whichever side of the argument (re: spellcasting detection) you're on it ultimately doesn't matter, if you're playing the game and everyone is having fun then you must be doing it right.
If you choose to interpret/ignore/change the rules differently to someone else that's fine. Flexibility is one of the hobbies strongpoints (as I see it) and the groups I game with have rarely got past the first session without tinkering with the rules.
Remember also (as my favourite DM does) that if the PC's can get away with it, so can the baddies.

I think druids can be great fun (I convinced my wife to take gaming again by using her love of animals as a lead in to the class). Also run with the summoning aspect if you've recently been a blaster, change is always refreshing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads