• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[August] What are you reading?

Richards

Legend
Abe.ebA said:
Provided you like it all the way through to the end I highly recommend everything else McDevitt has written. There are... I want to say a half a dozen books that take place in the same universe as Engines of God but other than Omega I can't think of the titles of any of them.
Thanks, Abe.ebA - I'll have to look up those older titles. I don't believe I've read anything by Jack McDevitt before this, but he seems worth looking into.

Johnathan

Pozatronic

First Post
Enforcer said:
.... Oh, and then some Tanith Lee if I can find it, as it's listed as a major inspiration for Exalted 2e (White Wolf).

Are you talking about her Flat Earth Chronicles? I highly recommend them! Some of my favorite books are from that series. It starts off with "Nights Master", which is good, but not as good as the second novel "Deaths Master" (I know, sounds like a death metal band...you should see the cover art on the copy I have....), which might be my favorite fantasy story ever. It's very mythic and very tragic. The third is called "Delusions Master" which is rather short and, while it has it's merits, is more of an epiloge for the the fourth book "Deleriums Mistress", which has close ties to Deaths Master and is just as good. Good luck finding them (I'd try used on amazon). I actually have two copies of the third book, so let me know if you can't find that one. There's a fifth book in the series called "Nights Sorceries", but I have yet to locate a copy.

Also check out "The Birthgrave", "Vazkor, Son of Vazkor" and "Quest for the White Witch". I don't think these are as good as the Flat Earth Chronicles, but I do think they have more in common with Exalted than the other series.

As for me, right now I'm reading "The Algebraist" by Iain M. Banks. I'm only on page 23, so we'll see. I'm not that big of a traditional SF fan, but it's published by Night Shade Books, who have published two of my favorite books in the past year; "The Course of the Heart" by M. John Harrison and "Last Weeks Apocalypse" by Douglas Lain. I highly recommend the both of those, for people who are into something just a little bit different.

Has anybody picked up "the Space Opera Renaissance"? Let me know what you think about it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Y: The Last Man trade paperbacks, the latest Song of Ice & Fire novel and Ptolus just arrived today, which will likely suck up a lot of my reading time for quite a while to come.

Enforcer

Explorer
Pozatronic said:
Are you talking about her Flat Earth Chronicles? I highly recommend them! Some of my favorite books are from that series. It starts off with "Nights Master", which is good, but not as good as the second novel "Deaths Master" (I know, sounds like a death metal band...you should see the cover art on the copy I have....), which might be my favorite fantasy story ever. It's very mythic and very tragic. The third is called "Delusions Master" which is rather short and, while it has it's merits, is more of an epiloge for the the fourth book "Deleriums Mistress", which has close ties to Deaths Master and is just as good. Good luck finding them (I'd try used on amazon). I actually have two copies of the third book, so let me know if you can't find that one. There's a fifth book in the series called "Nights Sorceries", but I have yet to locate a copy.

Also check out "The Birthgrave", "Vazkor, Son of Vazkor" and "Quest for the White Witch". I don't think these are as good as the Flat Earth Chronicles, but I do think they have more in common with Exalted than the other series.
Yeah, Exalted 2e mentions the Flat Earth series. I'm sure I'll be able to figure out something as far as finding them goes.

Aus_Snow

First Post
At the moment, The Broken Sword (by Poul Anderson). It's about time, but yes I finally tracked it down locally and have progressed far enough through my reading pile.

Fargoth

First Post
Reading Glen Cook's 'Tyranny of the Night".
Only about 1/8 of the way through it and haven't formed an opinion yet though I will say it's keeping me sufficiently interested to keep reading it!

Seonaid

Explorer
I'm reading the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed his writing, and it's great that I have a whole set of books to come! :D I also have recently started re-reading the Vlad Taltos stuff (mentioned numerous times above), so I better read faster and catch up to the new one. Which I didn't know was coming, which gives me reason to rejoice.

I've read The Dante Club, Enforcer, and really didn't enjoy it (I also got it from a coworker). I'd be interested to see how you like it, once it's done.

Speaking of books I'd like to hear more about, has anyone read The Iron Dragon's Daughter (Michael Swanwick)? I read a short story set in the same world and was pretty impressed, but this one left me in the dust. I feel like I'm back in freshman lit, trying to figure out what everyone else seems to be getting. Is it just me, or are they faking understanding too?

CarlZog

Explorer
I'm catching up on back issues of Analog, the only thing I've got time to read these days, but I really like it. I rarely find a story that I don't enjoy at some level or another -- and it's a feast of game ideas.

thud13x

First Post
Currently re-reading my tradeback collection of Preacher graphic novels, Lords of Darkness (FR Supplement) and the first two books of Y: The Last Man. Still trying to save up for the rest of the collection. That and the anthologies of Liberty Meadows.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads