• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Awakening Apocalypse - Chapter 2: The End of the Beginning

Shayuri

First Post
Once away from immediate observation, Casper subvocalizes to the others, "Package is delivered, but there's still the backup video they've got waiting. I'm on my way to your position to back you up."

She's as good as her word, heading back towards the security office at a brisk pace to get the guards from behind.

Mosier

First Post
(OOC :: I need to read up on all the special actions one can make for attacking such as called shot and taking time to aim. Is it possible rather than firing twice, Saint can take an action to aim and get bonus dice rolls?)

Yes it is. See below.

Call a shot (free action): aim for a specific spot (like the head!), usually in order to bypass armor, in exchange for an attack penalty (it's harder to hit a smaller target!)
Take aim (simple action): take a moment to steady your weapon and make a careful, deliberate attack. You get +1 attack dice per "take aim" action used before you pull the trigger. Think of a sniper biding his time before taking that one perfect shot.

Rubberneck

First Post
(OOC :: Let's give Called Shot a whirl. Aiming for the head. I'm guessing it would still work if the guy is behind cover? Let's use Edge too. I wanna one shot this guy and pop off his head like a cork. Haha)

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Note on Edge. You can use it in several ways. Most noteably, you can declare the use of Edge before rolling, which lets you add your Edge to your pool (I believe) and ignore your Limit for that action...or you can declare the use of Edge after a roll, and use it to reroll any dice in the pool that did not succeed. In my experience, the second option is a more efficient use of Edge, unless your pool for the task is very low.)

TillForPie

First Post
(OOC - Note on Edge. You can use it in several ways. Most noteably, you can declare the use of Edge before rolling, which lets you add your Edge to your pool (I believe) and ignore your Limit for that action...or you can declare the use of Edge after a roll, and use it to reroll any dice in the pool that did not succeed. In my experience, the second option is a more efficient use of Edge, unless your pool for the task is very low.)
OOC: Unfortunately it's also kind of a pain in this format and it'll mean that Mosier can't simply post narration after the results of rolls, but instead has to wait for confirmation on whether we want to use it. We could come up with a system whereby we state before a roll that we'll be using Edge if the roll totals under a certain amount of hits.

Mosier

First Post
(OOC :: Let's give Called Shot a whirl. Aiming for the head. I'm guessing it would still work if the guy is behind cover? Let's use Edge too. I wanna one shot this guy and pop off his head like a cork. Haha)

Saint is back where he belongs - on the right end of a big f*ckin' revolver. He takes a second to line up the sights, noting with satisfaction as he does so that he can see a reflection of the ceiling off the polished chrome barrel. This security agent is already dead. He just doesn't know it yet.

There's a deafening ROAR that reverberates through the room as Saint pulls the trigger.

Saint's action phase

Although it was not explicitly spelled out that Saint would use a "take aim" action, I believe that is what was meant by the spirit of Rubberneck's post - free action (call shot), simple action (take aim), simple action (fire weapon).

Note: single shot weapons may NOT be combined with another attack action in the same phase (except for dual-wielding). Revolvers are single shot weapons, in contrast to most other pistols which are semi-automatic.

Saint's attack dice - AGI + Pistols + Edge + Take aim (1) - cover (2) - recoil (0) - called shot penalty (4) = 11 dice
NOTE: If Edge is used prior to a roll, the "rule of six" applies. All sixes count as a hit, and then are re-rolled for more potential hits!

Saint's attack = 9 hits! (2 of these were due to "rule of six" re-rolls)
Opposed roll = 2 hits
Saint's attack succeeds, with 7 net hits
Damage value 9 (+7) = 16. This damage bypasses armor due to the called shot, and therefore will not be converted to stun.
Damage resist roll = BOD (no dice are added for armor) - 2 hits
The security agent suffers 16 (-2) damage, for a total of 14 lethal damage.

The concussive force of Saint's pistol seems to cause the whole room to shake. Heartbreak's eyes nearly water with the noise, and he can distinctly feel the air vibrate. Despite himself, even Skinny feels a leap of excitement in his chest at the raw power of the shot.

It takes a moment for everyone to realize just what has happened, where they are, and what's going on. There's quiet throughout the room, except for the high-pitched ringing in their ears. The agent's body remains upright for what feels like a ludicrously long time, until finally it collapses into a heap.

"Jesus Christ..." one of the hostages mutters. From the look on his face, the guy doesn't even realize he has spoken.

The security agent has joined his ancestors. This combat is now over.

Mosier

First Post
As the gravity of the security agent's death sets in, Casper's voice suddenly cuts like a knife through the Runners' comlinks.

"Package is delivered, but there's still the backup video they've got waiting. I'm on my way to your position to back you up."

Casper will arrive in about 30 to 45 seconds, if she hustles. The two guards she saw running will be here sooner, and are probably only a few seconds away now.

TillForPie

First Post
Skinny backs against a wall for support while he catches his breath. "F--king hell." He rubs at the spot on his shoulder where he took fire. Each of these runs is more draining than the last and the close calls keep getting closer.

He makes his way to the bodies of the two guards, stopping once he's standing over them to bend over and break into a fit of wet coughs. A few seconds and a long gulp of air later he seems to have recovered. "Do we need to stay here?" he asks of the other two. "We should keep moving if we can. If the friendly ghost is just about done we can start on our way outta here."

Noticing movement from the unconscious guard, Skinny realizes he's still alive. He fires into the man's head a few times with one of his pistols before turning back to Heartbreak and Saint as he awaits an answer, already starting to break into fresh coughs.

Shayuri

First Post
"There were two security personnel who ran out ahead of me, and they'll have heard that shot!" Casper sends. "They'll be on top of you any time now!"

There goes the quiet op.

GlassEye

Adventurer
[section]
Heartbreak quickly holsters his gun and moves back over to the drones. If he's done his work right, they will stay right where they are looking deactivated until the right time when they will move to the demonstration room and add to the confusion. Now they only have to worrry about the backup video.

"We're not quite done," he says.

[/section]

[sblock=OOC]I don't remember exactly how much of the reprogramming of the drones Heartbreak completed or if he needs to spend more time at it.

Current Deck stats: Attack 1, Sleaze 4, Data Processing 3, & Firewall 3. Running Virtual Machine with Exploit and Sneak.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads