D&D 5E Balance Inquiry Arcane Archer Modification

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Elemental arrows are nice and is a feature where, if a player asked about, I'd add without giving it any thought.

I'd also be tempted to grant the subclass cantrips just for your cantrip cast through arrows ability. I could actually see that as the level 7 ability which uses an action and deals normal arrow damage + cantrip damage (if any). I think players would get creative with that an also use it with cantrips like light to send out a flare.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
So Arcane Archers only get 1 cantrip, which is either Druidcraft or Prestidigitation. Would you be changing that, or would this just be a multiclass thing?

I do really like the idea of having some way to synergize archery and cantrips. It would make Archer/Spellcaster multiclasses more viable since the cantrips upgrade based on class level. But I'd kind of just like to have some sort of ranged weapon equivalent to the SCAG cantrips.

Good point. I hadn't realized it was that much of a deficit. Will have to ponder overnight. Thanks.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I like the version of the Arcane Archer (AA) that was published in Xanathar's more than the previous Unearthe Arcana (UA) versions, but felt like there should be something more "always? usable" at 3rd level when the subtype is gained.

There are two thoughts for review...feel free to offer pro/cons.

a. Ability to change the damage type of the arrows (piercing) to fire, cold, lightning, or acid. Nothing else changes.
Benefit?: Can target vulnerabilities, maybe light haystacks on fire etc.

b. Use an arrow to deliver the effects of a cantrip you know to the range of the bow. No arrow damage, just cantrip damage and effects.
Benefit?: Extended range for "tricks", (negligible effect in dungeons, big diff outside)

PEACH

I think both of these are fine, though I would restrict it to a ranged cantrip. You don't want people shooting thorn whips 120 feet away. I'd also let them choose one wizard ranged attack cantrip they can use twice per short rest.

NotAYakk

Legend
Elemental Shot: As an action you can shoot an arrow and have it do elemental damage. Make a ranged weapon attack roll using a bow or a crossbow. If it hits, you deal 1d10+int damage of one of fire, cold, poison or acid instead of your standard weapon damage. At 5th level an arcane archer can fire an additional elemental shot as part of the action, and another at 11th and 17th level.

In addition to dealing damage, the elemental arrows can be used for additional effects. Fire arrows can be used to ignite unattended flammable objects, cold arrows will each freeze 1 cubic foot of water or similar liquid, acid arrows deal double damage against objects and structures, and creatures damaged by poison arrows suffer halved healing until the end of your next turn.

---

This is based off of Eldritch Blast. You require both Dex and Int to deal effective damage with this, so it is a bit weaker, but has better range (with most bows and crossbows).

The second paragraph is just ribbons. Even halved healing is so niche it isn't of huge balance concern.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I like the version of the Arcane Archer (AA) that was published in Xanathar's more than the previous Unearthe Arcana (UA) versions, but felt like there should be something more "always? usable" at 3rd level when the subtype is gained.

There are two thoughts for review...feel free to offer pro/cons.

a. Ability to change the damage type of the arrows (piercing) to fire, cold, lightning, or acid. Nothing else changes.
Benefit?: Can target vulnerabilities, maybe light haystacks on fire etc.

b. Use an arrow to deliver the effects of a cantrip you know to the range of the bow. No arrow damage, just cantrip damage and effects.
Benefit?: Extended range for "tricks", (negligible effect in dungeons, big diff outside)

PEACH

I can't think of any issues for either. b) will have to have some rules around it and multiattack.

I like a) more than b) if choosing just one.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Okay so still in brainstorming mode: so this may go to far into the OP side of the equation.

But consider, we all mostly like the elemental arrow part. The cantrips that are available have elemental damage, so if we picked "acid splash, fire bolt, ray of frost, and shocking grasp" as known cantrips that could only be used with a bow and once per turn, how would that work?

They could target an elemental vulnerability, get around resistance to piercing (cause applying the cantrip would change the damage), gain any cantrip riders, and maybe set stuff on fire etc.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Replacing the bow damage with the cantrip isn't OP, especially at one per turn. You're essentially just casting the cantrip using Dex at at the bow's range, and at the expense of additional attacks at higher levels. It's fine IMO. It's a buff for acid splash and shocking grasp, but that's countered by the incompatibility with multiple attacks.

What might be more interesting is to base four bespoke elemental arrows roughly on those cantrips, for a more unique mechanic. Then we'd be looking at uses per rest, either short of long, but that mimics a lot of other fighter subclasses so we're in the right design space. So maybe a fire arrow does 2d8 and sets things on fire. That could scale with level too, so at higher level an AA get to elementalize all his shots for the round in question.

Remove ads