Bard Faerie Fire in Tier 1

Sorry for the temporary off-topic post but...

Interesting. I’m a bard newb and I would like to recruit you to peruse this thread:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...how-much-can-I-dump-combat-stats&daysprune=14

Please help me kit out my bard and help advise me on spells. I will pay you double whatever [MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION] paid.

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.

Intersting to hear about bane efficiency. And I guess bane can be a great spell. It is especially potent if you have people castibg other spells. A bane that sticks allows other spells to have the full effect more easily and it allows you not to be hit as often. You just have to question yourself. If I just cast the other level 1 spell twice, doesn't it have a better chance to kill.

Example: bane + thunderwave or thunderwave twice.

I do think at level 1 bane is actually not that strong. A simple thunderwave even on a successful save might kill the enemy. A failed save and a second will most probably do so.
Bane gets more and more potent the higher level you become. At level 3 you can enable a level 2 spell and at level 5 you might enable hypnotic pattern or you might lower the chance of saving vs your friendly wizards fireball.
So to sum it up: at tier 1, level 1-4 bane is most probably not the best choice but the higher you get and the more powerful it becomes.

5ekyu

Hero
Intersting to hear about bane efficiency. And I guess bane can be a great spell. It is especially potent if you have people castibg other spells. A bane that sticks allows other spells to have the full effect more easily and it allows you not to be hit as often. You just have to question yourself. If I just cast the other level 1 spell twice, doesn't it have a better chance to kill.

Example: bane + thunderwave or thunderwave twice.

I do think at level 1 bane is actually not that strong. A simple thunderwave even on a successful save might kill the enemy. A failed save and a second will most probably do so.
Bane gets more and more potent the higher level you become. At level 3 you can enable a level 2 spell and at level 5 you might enable hypnotic pattern or you might lower the chance of saving vs your friendly wizards fireball.
So to sum it up: at tier 1, level 1-4 bane is most probably not the best choice but the higher you get and the more powerful it becomes.
I tend to agree. Surprising?

Bane has a hard cap at low levels of how many affected plus a save thsts admittedly harder for many. So, odds are you get close to max affected.

But even then its effect is unpredictable - d4 is noticable but not on par with adv/disad in most cases. The saves thing is to me not that big, at low levels at least. You aren't looking at a lot of slots to throw around hood savecdpells including the bane.

Thats part of why i like FF, it improves attacks for the infinite-repeaters. No need for additional slots/resources to see benefits. You could easily see one FF followed by weapons and cantrips all benefitting - especially if you can hold off and get them clumped. That is pretty sustainable whereas multiple slotted spells are less so.

At higher levels with more slots and more KO spells and where CHA saves tends to not scale as well, Bane can sure come into it's own especially in a multi-caster party.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Well, come on, man. It’s been pretty clearly demonstrated that FF is superior in the 4 orc example. And your response is to “acknowledge” that it’s better against 8+?

Anyway, I’m done. Peace out.

That's not been demonstrated.

But have fun.

Remove ads