Spelljammer Beadle & Grimms’ Spelljammer Platinum Edition

If you have a few hundred dollars durning a hole in your pocket, Beadle & Grimms’ customary platinum edition of WotC’s latest D&D book is available for preorder. Mars needs Goblins!* Actually, this has nothing to do with Mars, but it does have to do with space. Also, no goblins to speak of. So maybe we walk that title back and start over. Wildspace needs you!** Get ready for the greatest...

If you have a few hundred dollars durning a hole in your pocket, Beadle & Grimms’ customary platinum edition of WotC’s latest D&D book is available for preorder.

Mars needs Goblins!*

Actually, this has nothing to do with Mars, but it does have to do with space.

Also, no goblins to speak of.

So maybe we walk that title back and start over.

Wildspace needs you!**

Get ready for the greatest space adventure of all time—yours! Jump into the Wildspace adventure of Spelljammer: Adventures in Space* and explore new worlds, encounter new creatures,** and jump from spaceship to spaceship like the Space Pirate you always wanted to be!

This Limited Edition Platinum set includes:
  • Collector's Platinum Edition Box
  • Exploded Books: all three books included as soft-covers with a player-only section
  • DM Screen: original art outside with Spelljammer specifics inside
  • Pre-generated characters specific to a Spelljammer campaign setting
  • Encounter Cards and Ship Cards to show your players the creatures, NPCs and ships they'll encounter on their astral adventure
  • Booklet of Bonus Encounters with original adventures and art
  • In-world handouts to give to your players
  • Map Tube with original battle maps and poster-size map
  • A package of individual ship maps
  • All new Spelljammer: Adventures in Space magic item and spell cards
  • Amazing In-world artifacts
  • 20 specially curated WizKids pre-painted Spelljammer minis in their own collector's box
* No one needs goblins.
** Unless you’re a goblin (see above).
*** See, that worked out fine. At Beadle & Grimm’s our creative process is built around surprise, fear, speed, and very little editing.
**** Maybe even goblins. One can dream.

E85C2378-3BC7-4524-9D44-862FED3E7516.jpeg

AF1E0959-A754-4ADC-9B18-811173AB3456.jpeg

Von Ether

Legend
Our group pooled funds and we bought Witchlight for our GM as he's going to run us thorugh it next, after we are done with FrostMaiden... Turned out to be about $90 for each of the 6 of us

Considering how cheap this hobby can be for most players.* It's nice to see players helping bringing up the campaign's presentation up a notch. Though I wonder if professional DMs see value in investing in this sort of set up.

*I had one player who would take over a year to finally buy a $20 C&C player's handbook for himself. He invested much more in 5e since he started GMing with that edition.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
Personally, I have a hard time swallowing the cost for the Beadle & Grimm products for adventures. If you've got the capital, or can go in as a group, I think they can enhance play, but they're still a "one and done" kind of thing for me (I typically don't run adventures multiple times). However, I think the setting content would be more useful. I got the Gold Edition of the Eberron box and found the content to be absolutely stunning, worthwhile, and evocative - and then the pandemic hit and all that cool stuff has sat on a shelf waiting for me to kick up the Eberron in person game! The Spelljammer box falls into that camp for me so I just need to sell some organs to get it ... they don't necessarily have to be mine though.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I honestly cannot believe people would spend $500 bucks on stuff like this.

Having lived through now 4 editions and wishing I had spent less money (especially during 3rd ed).

What a wake up call some will have when they realize most of this stuff is used maybe once then put on a shelf forever.

Having lived through now 4 editions and wishing I had spent less money (especially during 3rd ed).

What a wake up call some will have when they realize most of this stuff is used maybe once then put on a shelf forever.

Considering they're collector's items, and generally appreciate in value, if anyone regrets their purchase, they'll be able to turn around and sell it for a profit. Seems like a win-win to me.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
#badwrongfun
If youve got the cash and the will go for it. Ive never been one for extravagent purchases for an RPG. Not when new eds are around the corner or the new hotness can pop up.

Liek I said having seen the death of TSR and how 4th ed played out. Not a chance I'd take. But thats just me, my pov, and my personal finances.

Scribe

Legend
I cant speak for anyone else, but thats essentially what high end premium product is for, as a collector piece to be enjoyed carefully.

In some imaginary future where Planescape is released to my exact demands? $500 for a permanent tribute collector piece that is also* the game product?

Easy sale.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps

Maps and figures persist in usefulness across editions. I’ve been able to re-use ship maps from old Spelljammer products as well as Champions of Mystara. Got to break out the poster battle maps of Princess Ark as the PCs got to battle off Mindspiders.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If youve got the cash and the will go for it. Ive never been one for extravagent purchases for an RPG. Not when new eds are around the corner or the new hotness can pop up.

Liek I said having seen the death of TSR and how 4th ed played out. Not a chance I'd take. But thats just me, my pov, and my personal finances.
You weren’t just talking about you and your personal finances though.

”I honestly cannot believe people would spend $500 bucks on stuff like this.…What a wake up call some will have”

Considering they're collector's items, and generally appreciate in value, if anyone regrets their purchase, they'll be able to turn around and sell it for a profit. Seems like a win-win to me.
No. Everyone please steer far away from letting speculation and beanie-baby-fication of things induce you to be more willing to "invest" in expensive luxury items with false rarity.

You want an investment, buy some stock or something (if you're like me an like owning a chunk of the companies you buy stuff from, the price of this product is enough to buy 5 shares in WotC's parent company at the moment, with enough left over to probably buy the core product from a discounter). You want a $500 super-deluxe version of a product, do it because you really want that thing, but don't think its an investment because a handful of people are maybe successfully flipping them on ebay. If the market for copies above the original price was large Beadle and Grimm's would make more or charge more.

Or buy the product with intention of flipping it, a few people probably make money doing that. But that requires having proper knowledge of the market and a willingness to put some energy into having an ebay business (if you already have one that's not an issue, if you don't you may have some issues, including finding it harder to sell a relatively high ticket item without already having some positive buyer feedback). It also requires Beadles and Grimm selling out their limited production run. And it all may start to depreciate when whatever "next evolution" is coming in 2024 comes around.

It's certainly seems possible to make a profit buying these things, but that does not make them an investment that "appreciates in value" as a general rule. The sometimes high aftermarket sales prices do not make them something that just anyone can reliably divest themself of at a profit.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads