5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • Monk

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters
Oddly those two were the first which came to my mind.
They're obvious. The Valor Bard has some melee, and is a full 'support' class, the Paladin is full-on high-DPR tanky melee, with a dedicated side of healing and save-buffing. The Warlord was a Martial Leader - an heroic weapon-user (no-magic) who's primary job was to boost his allies. Functionally similar to the Bard - or Cleric, or even Druid(Sentinel) - who were all also leaders.

The 5e Paladin - though not nearly as badly as the fighter - is too focused on tanky DPR, in it's hard-coded mechanical features, like Extra Attack, HD, &c - to make a good template for a viable primary-support-contributor class, which really call for the kind of resource-heavy chassis you only see, in 5e, on full-caster classes.

Last edited:

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
The 5e Paladin - though not nearly as badly as the fighter - is too focused on DPR to make a good template for a viable primary-support-contributor class.
The actual focus of the class as it is now doesn't matter. It's the underlying mechanics that you would use.

In this case, the ..... P-class .... could be used because it has some baked-in features that might appeal to some people that would build a Warlord (such as 1/2 caster, auras, and so on) while other features, such as the ability to use spell slots for smite, could be transmogrified into something support-y (spell slots for some type of inspiring word or other type of support ability).

It's not what the class is now, it's the utility of the underlying mechanics for your vision.

lowkey13

The above is pretty much exactly why the Paladin occurred to me first
As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in your shaving kit until the bad thoughts about Paladins go away.

when I was thinking of what chassis I'd use.
The more I see the .... discourse ... about making the class for 5e, and the more I see the .... tensions .... it can cause just in terms of people who want to make it, the more I think that a 5e Warlord is El Dorado, forever tempting us, and forever out of reach.

Last edited:
So you're telling me you wouldn't want to try and use the Paldin chassis as a force for good? Assuming you think the goal of producing a WL class is good I guess, which isn't a given. Even if you hate WL then you'd also have gnome warlords to hate, so there's that.

lowkey13

So you're telling me you wouldn't want to try and use the Paladin chassis as a force for good?
Everyone thinks they are doing the right thing, and then they see what they have wrought with the Paladin, and it is all, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Do not let the Paladin propogate.
Do not let the Paladin breed.

Do not, for a second, assume that the Paladin is here to serve you or accomplish a greater good.

Assuming you think the goal of producing a WL class is good I guess, which isn't a given. Even if you hate WL then you'd also have gnome warlords to hate, so there's that.
Take it from me, there's nothing like a job well done.

Except the quiet enveloping darkness at the bottom of a bottle of Wild Turkey after a job done any way at all.

...but the gnomes? The gnomes will steal your Wild Turkey, and even worse, you can only see them after you've finished a bottle or two, and are looking for the next.

chrisshorb

Everything's Fine
Funny, I just jumped to the end of this thread, and I agree with @lowkey13 and @Fenris-77 that Paladin would get my vote. I'm sure others would serve, but it seems like you could take the smites and shift them to other players (plus get a bit of a spiff somehow so your action isn't totally wasted).

lowkey13

When it comes to Paladins? For sure. They're like hitmen in movies, it doesn't really matter what happens to them I never feel bad.
I'm not sure Léon the Professional would want his good name sullied by being compared to a Paladin!

(Pauses .... remembers .... googles .... OH!)

Never mind. Perfect comparison!

Advertisement