D&D 5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.5%

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It could. My ideal would be for the class to grant bonuses on most turns, if not every turn.
However, perhaps in place of ki, it could have a feature when it hits something that allows it to boost its regular buff based on a die roll?
In the same idea of replacing Martial Arts with warlord stuff, I'd to something like this:

Level 1 Battle Harmony:
  • Once per turn, when you take the attack action, you can use a bonus to grant an ally 1 more attack on its next turn.
  • Once per turn, you can use an bonus action to grant a ''inspiration die'' to an ally within 60' that see or hear you.

Level 1 Inspiration Dice (ala Bard)

Lvl 1 Inspire Vigor
As an bonus action, choose a target that see or hear you within 30'. The ally regain 1d6+4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice. The creature can't regain hit points from this feature again until it finishes a short or long rest. (**could be Temp HP instead, depending on where you stand on martial healing). You can use this feature twice before needing a short rest.

Level 2 Shared Assault
Your mastery of battle tactics allow you a better control over the flow of battle. - Once per turn, you can use a bonus action to roll an inspiration die. You gain Command point equal to the number you rolled.

- Group Flurry: When you take the attack action, you can use a bonus action to spend 1 command point to grant two allies 1 more attack on its next turn.
  • Defensive stance: As a bonus action, spend 1 command to allow an ally to take the dodge action as a reaction.
  • Quick formation: As a bonus action, spend 1 command to allow an ally to take the dash or disengage action as a reaction.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In the same idea of replacing Martial Arts with warlord stuff, I'd to something like this:

Level 1 Battle Harmony:
  • Once per turn, when you take the attack action, you can use a bonus to grant an ally 1 more attack on its next turn.
  • Once per turn, you can use an bonus action to grant a ''inspiration die'' to an ally within 60' that see or hear you.

Level 1 Inspiration Dice (ala Bard)

Lvl 1 Inspire Vigor
As an bonus action, choose a target that see or hear you within 30'. The ally regain 1d6+4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice. The creature can't regain hit points from this feat again until it finishes a short or long rest. (**could be Temp HP instead, depending on where you stand on martial healing). You can use this feature twice before needing a short rest.

Level 2 Shared Assault
Your mastery of battle tactics allow you a better control over the flow of battle. - Once per turn, you can use a bonus action to roll an inspiration die. You gain Command point equal to the number you rolled.

- Group Flurry: When you take the attack action, you can use a bonus action to spend 1 command point to grant two allies 1 more attack on its next turn.
  • Defensive stance: As a bonus action, spend 1 command to allow an ally to take the dodge action as a reaction.
  • Quick formation: As a bonus action, spend 1 command to allow an ally to take the dash or disengage action as a reaction.
That’s an interesting idea, for sure. I like the first part as is, and the command points thing could works with a little work.

Iry

Hero
Cleric by a considerable margin, especially the Life, War, and Order Domains. The Cleric spell list is practically screaming to be refluffed into Warlord-style acts of inspiration, brilliance, or bravura.

Alternatively, you could easily create an Inspiration Domain which allows Turning/Bolstering Humanoids, and using Intelligence or Charisma as the primary casting stat.

doctorbadwolf

Cleric by a considerable margin, especially the Life, War, and Order Domains. The Cleric spell list is practically screaming to be refluffed into Warlord-style acts of inspiration, brilliance, or bravura.

Alternatively, you could easily create an Inspiration Domain which allows Turning/Bolstering Humanoids, and using Intelligence or Charisma as the primary casting stat.
I definitely think the Cleric should have an Inspiration Domain, regardless of the <blech > warlord discussion.

okay imma make another thread and see if I’m the minority amongst ppl who like the class...

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If I were going to do this I'd probably start with Paladin. You can rework Divine Smite, Auras and spell list to do a lot of what people are looking for.

Tallifer

Hero
The whole point of the 4E Warlord was to play a martial support class. I played one several times.

All spellcasters already can give support, especially clerics and bards. No need to write a new spellcasting class to do their job.

doctorbadwolf

If I were going to do this I'd probably start with Paladin. You can rework Divine Smite, Auras and spell list to do a lot of what people are looking for.
I’d definitely make whatever replaces Spellcasting be much simpler than a spell list, but yes Paladin makes sense.
Strategies like giving all allies within 30ft a speed bonus are easy to gauge as spell equivalents, and damage is very straightforward.

Remove ads