• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Buffing the Champion Fighter

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
My limited personal experience playing 5e (usually I DM) is that the thief rogue's Cunning Action & Fast Hands really supported my creative ideas for using the terrain against enemies. Whereas I didn't get the same feeling of creative empowerment with the 5e fighter.

So, again, I think there's a sweet spot between "4e style glut of options" and "nothing." And I think one way there is to focus on quality/character of choice.

Do you think something as simple as adding in a Cunning Action type ability for the fighter would improve things? What kind of things would the Warrior's Action be limited to, something like the following list might be a start.

Swap weapons
Disarm/Shove attempt
Disengage
Dash
Help action

Tony Vargas

Legend
That's interesting. It sounds like in our AD&D days we were actually seeing different things.
Not exactly surprising, that. Seemed like every DM had his own stack of variants back in the day. Even - heck, especially - the ones who said they were playing by the book. ;)
DMs also seemed to vary a lot in their attitudes towards such 'creativity,' with shutting it down or outright punishing it with disastrous results not exactly un-heard of. ;)

Sounds like we agree that there should be different levels of complexity/choice in every class, and within each class?
Not in the least, no. Pegging it to class is inherently problematic, since it takes concepts and walls them off from certain player styles. The Fighter, with the relatively choiceless Champion, choice-poor BM, and merely sub-part 1/3rd-caster BA, was the right idea, just with not enough swing from choice-less to choice-rich, and it was basically alone, when most classes 'should' really have both simplistic and rich options (sub-classes) - in an ideal world, anyway.

But that's a 'should' in an extremely hypothetical sense.

Speaking for my group, there may have been two factors. The first may have ben a case of mismatched expectations. That is, players who veered toward fighter-types ended up suddenly being confronted with more choices & tracking than they were used to in 4e.
Nod. I saw that a lot. Even long-time/returning players who probably would generally want to play a more interesting character once they got to know a system would sit down and go "I'll start with a fighter... wtf, were's my weapon? what are these color-coded things? argh! this is not D&D! "
They might as well have been reading from a script. ;)
In stark contrast, genuinely-new players would glance through a character sheet and pick it up quickly.

5e does a much better job of meeting the expectations of long-time and returning players. They expect a game where fighters are simplistic beatsticks with little to contribute but their own blood & their enemies' pain. They get it, at least for the first couple of levels. If they want more of the same, they go Champion, if they want something more, they change classes er, go EK or BM at third.

Number of choices is one factor
You take a player who has no choices when playing a fighter, and give him 4 when playing a fighter, and his creativity crashes and burns. You take another player who has dozens of choices when playing a wizard, and give him 6, his creativity crashes and burns.

It's not the number of choices. It's certainly not having /too many/ choices.

So, again, I think there's a sweet spot between "4e style glut of options" and "nothing."
The thing is, every caster class, in every other edition, is far outside that spectrum.

The second may have been hyper-tactical focus.
Meh. 3.5 (and 2e C&T, for that matter) had tactical focus in plenty and didn't have that effect, at all. The classic game started as a wargame. Grognards first threw 'grid dependence' at 3e, then 3.x/PF hold-outs picked it up and threw it at 4e.

As a criticism, it's like "ROLL playing," it reveals little about the game - mainly it reveals that the would-be critic is mad at it.

My theory was that something about the 4e system was shaping the play experience in a way that diminished creativity and improvisation.
That's some reasonable empiricism, there. ;) I mean, you see a set of behavior in players, and it's more pronounced in the player with the fighter than the wizard. You change games, and you see that behavior diminish in both? What's up?

Well, what's different?

Too many choices? No, because the wizard has fewer.

Nature of those choices? Maybe, in a way. The way 4e powers worked was very clear, the way spells worked in the olden days, maybe not so much. If you wanted to get the best use out of the spell you had memorized, it might behove you to buck for a certain interpretation - you get 'creative' in order to get the bang for your buck. In 4e, your buck just banged as advertised. In 4e, the fighter & wizard were remotely balanced. In the classic game, again, not so much. To remain relevant, it behoved the fighter's player to stretch to make up some of the vast gulf in versatility between his and others' classes. You don't need to push beyond the boundaries of the rules to play the fighter you wanted to. So you just play the character.

It's not like it'd be the first time a generation learned to love the old ways of doing things precisely because they were harder.

Anyway, back to 5e:

My limited personal experience playing 5e (usually I DM) is that the thief rogue's Cunning Action & Fast Hands really supported my creative ideas for using the terrain against enemies. Whereas I didn't get the same feeling of creative empowerment with the 5e fighter.
But you did get it from the 1e fighter, who had nothing like those Rogue features, either, and less going for it in terms of options than even the 5e Champion.

And I think one way there is to focus on quality/character of choice.
Again, look back at what gave you the desired effect in the past. Did the fighter have 'quality' choices? What was the 'character' of those choices?

Yes, something like a stunting system unique to the fighter is exactly what I'm thinking. Merge 4e's page 42 with Basic's weapon mastery and some of the action options in the DMG, and I think something very playable could emerge.
I've certainly played in & enjoyed systems like that, myself, but then I also played & enjoyed 1e, 3e, & 4e, (2e & 5e I almost exclusively ran, if anyone's wondering about the omission) so I may just have a broader tolerance....

And, again, there was also nothing like that in 1e - though I'm sure any number of DMs may have come up with something.. ;)

Now, 5e already allows the player to declare any action he can think of, it's just up to the DM to narrate what happens, and call for any checks to help with that. So the door for creative improv is wide open, to everyone.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Do you think something as simple as adding in a Cunning Action type ability for the fighter would improve things? What kind of things would the Warrior's Action be limited to, something like the following list might be a start.

Swap weapons
Disarm/Shove attempt
Disengage
Dash
Help action

Sure, that could be a starting point.

Whenever coming to a conversation (or your gaming group) and wanting to change something as integral as a class, the "burden of proof" falls on those of us wanting to change something. One of the things I try to be clear and incisive about are my goals – why I want to change something.

My first step is: Why Include Warrior's Action? (or whatever the proposed change I'm thinking about it)

Maybe we think that Action Surge isn't consistent or flavorful enough and just want a small adjustment – something easy to add on and be done.

In that case, your suggestion is a solid starting point for a couple reasons:

1. Most classes get 2 features at 2nd level (e.g. Bard = jack of all trades & song of rest; Cleric = channel divinity & domain feature; Monk = ki & unarmored moement; Paladin = fighting style, divine smite & spellcasting; Wizard = 2 features from arcane tradition). The Fighter and Rogue are exceptions, getting just one feature, Action Surge and Cunning Action respectively. So choosing 2nd level to offer the feature makes a lot of sense.

2. It's consistent and reliable, no limited # of uses. That fits the warrior archetype and the expectations gamers have from 40 years of D&D. It also doesn't negate the choice of Battle Master for players wanting more complexity. Win-win.

3. It establishes a "common language" between the two classic non-caster classes, making it easier for players to pick up the game. There is already a common language for warrior types getting Fighting Style and/or Extra Attack. So having a common language between Cunning Action and "Warrior's Action" would work toward the same end.

As far as implementation...

I think a fighter is more likely to have uses for bonus action than a rogue (e.g. dual wielding, extra feats granting bonus action attacks, second wind)....adn because a fighter is ostensibly "best at fighting", I would recommend there be no bonus action requirement. Make it a thing the fighter can do for free once per round...or even once per turn.

Disenage
Dash

I would try not to duplicate any of the rogue's Cunning Action options to preserve a greater sense of identity for each class.

Help

This is a feature of the Mastermind roguish archetype from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and I'd advise against repeating it since it features as an entire 3rd level sub-class ability IIRC.

Instead, I'd start from a list something like this:

Equip a Shield
Change Damage Type (optional – some groups may not like it)
Change Grip
Disarm (DMG)
Mark (DMG)
Swap Weapons
Shove Aside (DMG)
Shove

Quickleaf

Legend
Again, look back at what gave you the desired effect in the past. Did the fighter have 'quality' choices? What was the 'character' of those choices?

I thought that was the most interesting of your comments, so hope it's OK that I focus on it.

If I could distill the desirable creative improvisational play that I noticed in AD&D for both myself and my friend J. running fighters / fighter-types down to one thing... I felt like we had a shared language of what it meant to be a fighter regardless of what the rules told us.

For both of us, a fighter was supposed to be adaptable, savvy, shrewd, not at all a "meat-stick." My friend J. and I met at a Ray Bradbury book signing as kids, so I think many of our heroes traced back to that era of literature. There was an implicit understanding - a gentleman's agreement - that clever ideas the fighter player came up with should have an effect in play. That was MORE important to us than strictly following the AD&D rules. I think because our group was just me (DM), J. (fighter), and V. (mage), we really got to see the difference in power levels between fighters & mages in AD&D. It was right in our faces, but J. and I made it a non-issue through our common understanding of what it meant to be a "fighter." What emerged was a highly reactive play style. His fighter (moreso than the mage) would react to situations I presented...in 5e terms I'd describe his PC as sometimes making multiple Reactions, and the triggers for those Reactions changing according to our common sense.

An example that comes to mind...

J. was fighting a demon who fed on fear, and was able to reduce its hit points in half as a reaction by polishing his two-handed sword with acid to make it reflective, reflecting the demon's fear-drinking power back upon it.

Xeviat

Hero
For this thread, I'm not worried about the fighter as a whole. I'm concerned about the Champion. I still want the Champion to be a simple build with few moving pieces, compared to the Battle Master and the Eldritch Knight. But the Champion's 3rd level ability, which only increases damage, does not compare to the Battle Master's ability, which increases damage and adds additional utility. In a thread long ago, I tried to make an argument that Battle Masters start with too many superiority dice, so maybe I need to bring that argument back to balance out the Champion.

But, I said it before and I said it again: "Archetype Feature" is the only thing the Fighter gets at 3rd level, "ASI" is generally worth a whole level when it is granted, and "Crit on a 19 or 20" is not big enough to be worth a whole feat. "Savage Attacker" is almost better than "Crit on a 19 to 20", and everyone things "Savage Attacker" is weak. "+1 Crit Range" isn't even worth "+1 Attack" (since crits don't double damage, it's not quite like getting an extra attack).

So, the 3rd level Champion ability needs a buff. I'm more and more voting for "Weapon Specialization", to bring back a traditionally Fighter thing.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So, the 3rd level Champion ability needs a buff. I'm more and more voting for "Weapon Specialization", to bring back a traditionally Fighter thing.
Weapon Specialization was always a little wrong-headed, but it is classic 1e UA/2e, and it is straightforward enough. Attack & damage bonus and accelerated attack progression.

Maybe an extra attack with your weapon of choice at third, and each subsequent extra attack two levels earlier?

Xeviat

Hero
Weapon Specialization was always a little wrong-headed, but it is classic 1e UA/2e, and it is straightforward enough. Attack & damage bonus and accelerated attack progression.

What do you mean by "wrong headed"?

Maybe an extra attack with your weapon of choice at third, and each subsequent extra attack two levels earlier?

This would only benefit them for two levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiseblood

Adventurer
At 8th level a cleric with the war domain gets an extra damage dice of d8, iirc the same damage type as the weapon used. Why not just give the champion that? It's an easy, substantial ability on a full spell progression class.

Also a Fighter is a Warrior like war is large scale fight in d&d.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
Fighters tend to gravitate to one weapon, anyway.

Yep, but it's quite a benefit. An extra Extra Attack at 3rd would surely be too much, no?

Yeah. All the other Extra Attack-like features at 3rd level are limited. Barbarian has frenzy or battlerager, ranger has horde slayer, war cleric has an x/day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads