building a 13th level mage

Outergod

First Post
eXodus said:
i would never ever in all of my days even think about taking the half-celestial template.

munckinism is just not my bag. especially for no other reason then just for the sheer power of it.

and as far as the powergaming sorcerer and monk levels, that too is not my bag.

i am deciding to go with a straight human wizard.

yeah, i know. kind of flavorless, a little vanilla. but i will make up with that with my stellar charactarization and background for the character.

Ahhh...sorry...for some reason I thought you were min/maxing.
Don't know what the hell I was thinking...

You know what though...the Wizard I outlined above would be extremely cool if you were playing in a campaign saturated with heaven vs. hell / celestials vs. infernals/abyssals...

Outergod

SpikeyFreak

First Post
eXodus said:
i would never ever in all of my days even think about taking the half-celestial template.

munckinism is just not my bag. especially for no other reason then just for the sheer power of it.

and as far as the powergaming sorcerer and monk levels, that too is not my bag.

I wouldn't either. Just seems cheesy.

i am deciding to go with a straight human wizard.

yeah, i know. kind of flavorless, a little vanilla. but i will make up with that with my stellar charactarization and background for the character.

You use your feat selection to add flavor. Meta-magic? Item creation? Energy Substitution and some item creation feats can have a butt-load of flavor IMHO. That wand of acid cone or lightning ball is cool. :) Then you constantly talk about electricity or cold or whatever. Make the other characters think you worship the elements, or an element.

--Strange Spikey

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Re: building a 13th level mage

Outergod said:
In the long run you'll loose 5 levels of Wiz...which hurts...but it would be damn fun to play.

Outergod

Which would be more fun:

An arcane caster with a bunch of classes and no story who can cast 4th level spells at level 13 and fight about as well as a 4th level paladin

or

An arcane caster who's human, has a bunch of feats, and can cast 7th level spells at level 12 and can't fight at all (even though his BAB would be 2 points higher than the other characters).

I know which one I would want to play.

--Not-Too-Nice Spikey

Outergod

First Post
Re: Re: Re: building a 13th level mage

I just love to hear people start crying when anyone mentions powerful races/templates.

Didn't they create ECL for a reason? And aren't 1/2 Celestials +3 ECL? If you think these are unreasonable do you let characters play with races that are ECL +1? +2? When does roleplaying stop and cheese begin?

The fact of the matter is that roleplaying is involved in my campaign in ANY character creation process. If you can come up with an excellent story/reasoning for a monster PC or a template of some kind then more power to ya.

Outergod

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: building a 13th level mage

Outergod said:
I just love to hear people start crying when anyone mentions powerful races/templates.

Didn't they create ECL for a reason? And aren't 1/2 Celestials +3 ECL? If you think these are unreasonable do you let characters play with races that are ECL +1? +2? When does roleplaying stop and cheese begin?

The fact of the matter is that roleplaying is involved in my campaign in ANY character creation process. If you can come up with an excellent story/reasoning for a monster PC or a template of some kind then more power to ya.

Outergod
I have more fun comming up with a story for a character then making the character to fit the story. You seem to like to come up with the most powerful combination you can think of, then you come up with a story behind (to justify?) it.

Besides, the character you made would be a rather ineffective character at 13th level. You should take classes that complement each other, not ones that reduce the others effectiveness.

Monks have +0 BAB at 1st level. So do Sorcerers. So neither class improves the characters combat effectiveness. Plus, both delay spell progression for the character, when spells is what the player wants.

You say that you would have fun with the character. Why? They wouldn't be able to fight because of an abysmal BAB (+4?), and their spells would be easier to save against because they would be lower level (max spell level 4th vs 7th).

If you really want to min/max the character and make it unusaul, just use the template. The sorcerer and the monk levels don't do anything but hurt the character's effectiveness, and at least you make it up to 5th level spells.

Are you sure the template is +3 ECL? That's a powerful +3 ECL template if it is.

--Recursive Spikey

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
I think you've found the best character: the one you WANT to play. A human wizard is just fine, especially starting out at 13th level. If I were in that situation, I'd make him rather old because he is already powerful (I just hate playing old grey bearded wizards who are only 2nd level; just doesn't fit).

You should ask your DM how he is going to determine what spells you know. Will it just be the minimum due to level, or will he assume that you've run across some scrolls in your former adventures? And speaking of scrolls, I would reccomend a Heward's Haversack to carry them in. The new-and-improved erratted version makes it a Free Action to pull a scroll out and you automatically get the one you want. How handy is that?

Outergod

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: building a 13th level mage

SpikeyFreak said:

I have more fun comming up with a story for a character then making the character to fit the story. You seem to like to come up with the most powerful combination you can think of, then you come up with a story behind (to justify?) it.
--Recursive Spikey

WHAA??! Do I know you? Do you know what I play in my current campaign? A level 7 human Wizard...vanilla...

I'm already well aware of all the things listed above. I'm NOT creating this character for myself for the love of God! It was a suggestion for the initial poster...uh...that's what were're supposed to do here right?

Anyhow...I already know about the BAB for a Sor and Mon being +0 at 1st level...I already know that he'll be less effective in melee combat...I already know blah blah blah...as a matter of fact I indicated in one of my posts above that I thought he WANTED a min/max char...did you read that?

Wow...and I thought I was helping out with a friendly suggestion-filled post...

Outergod

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: building a 13th level mage

Outergod said:
WHAA??! Do I know you? Do you know what I play in my current campaign? A level 7 human Wizard...vanilla...

I'm sorry I can off so accusatory.

Wow...and I thought I was helping out with a friendly suggestion-filled post...

Outergod

I was just pointing out that what you posted wasn't exaclty a min/maxed mage, what the original poster was looking for.

Don't flame me and I won't flame you.

--Hammurabi Spikey

Outergod

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: building a 13th level mage

SpikeyFreak said:

Don't flame me and I won't flame you.

--Hammurabi Spikey

Sounds good Spikey...didn't really want to start a war w/ you anyhow because I'm well aware that you have excellent ideas and are right on the ball.

Outergod

Remove ads