• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Building a Mystic Class Character

traleh

First Post
I'm needing help building a Mystic Class character Wu Jen Discipline.
I'm looking at going Variant Human.
LVL 6th
Stats:
Str: 9
Dex: 7
Con:10
Int: 15
Wis:10
Char:9

Last edited:

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
My first bit of advice is to get your DM to allow you to re-roll. Only 1 positive stat even after applying racial bonuses is not really a viable character.

I do think Mystic can cover a bit of this. I would focus on 1 offensive Discipline (such as Fire) and then look for Disciplines that will cover you weak stats. Force probably would be good for protection as your second Wu Jen Option. I don't have a copy of all the Disciplines, but I think the one of the Wanderer one's would be good for your third, either the movement one or the skills one.

Wulffolk

Explorer
You have my respect for being willing to play through when you don't roll optimal stats. Too many players would ask their DM to re-roll instead of making the best of it when the dice do not favor them. With a 16 Intelligence after racial bonus your character is still more than viable, and has plenty of potential, despite what many optimizers would say.

gyor

Legend
Variant human, I'd look at a UA skill feat like the Arcana feat, which gives +1 intelligence and some other cool stuff, and put your +2 stat bump, you can end up with an intelligence score of 18 right off the bat.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
Variant human, I'd look at a UA skill feat like the Arcana feat, which gives +1 intelligence and some other cool stuff, and put your +2 stat bump, you can end up with an intelligence score of 18 right off the bat.

You can only apply the stat bumps for Variant Human to two different stats, not the same. Not bad thinking on the +1 Int stat feat. Do that and use the human increases on DEX and CHA to even those out. Or you could start with a 17 INT and take another + Int skill feat at 4th instead of taking a full stat bump.

Remove ads