Building Eberron (Using non-Eberron books)

Rystil Arden

First Post
RobotRobotI said:
I meant half-ogres, actually, but the point still stands. My bad on that - gettin' kinda sleepy I guess.
Yeah, I don't know if I like Half-Ogres (does everything have to breed with humans?), but for sure the others would be allowed. Heck, if you play up to high enough level and want to retire a PC to swap for one, full Ogres would be allowed too :)

Bront

The man with the probe
RobotRobotI said:
The goblinoid races of Droaam are mostly core, but they're mentioned specifically in the Player's Guide to Eberron - races that could be appropriate to LEB (due the eventual ECL cap for a starting character at 3) would be goblins (0 HD, +0 LA - but it's worth noting that goblins are generally slaves and very rarely become adventurers), orcs (0 HD, +0 LA, also), half-giants are mentioned, but they're from Races of Destiny so might be omitted just because of that (they're LA +2), and Gnolls are also within the ECL 3 range (2 HD, +1 LA.)

edit: Well, I guess they're more 'monstrous' than 'goblinoid'.
Actualy, since they're all (eccept for Half-ogres) core, and in the MM1, they're allowed already. The subraces like is disalowing wood elves, and the like mostly. Same with Lizardfolk. If they're in the accepted books, and not specificly taken out, they're allowable. (Hense a Kenku already accepted from MM3).

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, before we go hog wild here, there are some potential issues with throwing every source out there up for discussion.

Spell Compendium: I don't own it, so I can't comment on it.

PHBII: Again, I don't own it, but I can borrow it readily, but have not fliped through it enough yet beyond the Knight.

Heroes of Horror: I don't own it, but I have seen the Archivist, and like it, and can probably jot down some notes so I can approve them if need be.

Races of XXX books: not all eberron flavored, so any crunch from them would have to be examined, though the Chamelion class fits well for the Changeling, and any human/dopleganger feats should be allowable to the changeling as well.

Complete Psionic: Released April 2006, which means it hasn't been out 6 months, so I'd suggest holding off on allowing it, though I think the Psionics Eratta inside is worth considering. I've not had much time to read everything in it yet though.

Keep in mind, the more source books we require, the harder my job as the character judge is (And anyone else who later joins). Right now, I can approve characters fairly quickly. Extreme expansion will eventualy increase the time probably a good tenfold.

I think we should take this a bit more slowly and in some kind of organized fashion. So, I recomend we first start with base classes and races, and move on to feats and PrCs from there.

That being said, I see strong support for the following core classes:
Scout (CV), Swashbuckler (CW), Spellthief(CV), Warlock(CA), Hexblade(CW), Spirit Shamen(CD), Archivist(HoH), Favored Soul(CD), Duskblade(PHBII), Knight(PHBII), Beguiler(PHBII), Dragon Shamen(PHBII)

The Oriental Classes have mixed acceptance, but I'm not against limiting some core classes for simplicity's sake, since there are plenty of good options out there with the above list. I understand there are a few arguements about the other classes as well, but these generaly seem to be the ones most people favor. I'm willing to allow all the ones I listed in.

I haven't heard anyone mention the Marshal. Anyone like/dislike that class?

I also see strong support for the Complete Psionic classes, but given I haven't even seen them yet beyond a quick glance, I can't realy comment on them.

I agree on the SU/Mind affecting for the Knight, but only for flavor. Mechanics wise, I don't see it as a HUGE issue, as several of the chalenges are moral bonuses for the Knight and Friends.

Races:
As I mentioned earlier, the monsterous races in the MMI and MM3 are already accepted except the subraces of the core PHB ones (with the exception of Grey Elves). Are there other races from other sources people feel so inclined to support?

Patlin

Explorer
Do I understand correctly that Githzerai are in due to being in MMI but that the psionic version of the same race is not available?

I'd suggest the XPH version over the MMI version, personally.

Bront

The man with the probe
I didn't know they were in the MMI (stupid SRD). That's probably an issue we'll have to address.

Edit: After comparing the two, the Psionic ones should be the ones allowed, and I don't see why we shouldn't. The XPH race limit was more on the standard XPH races, not the monsterous ones. I'll wait for others to chime in though.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Is Magic of Eberron among the accepted book? If not why? I am asking that because for my dwarf, I would like to see him go on the path of one of the PrC (I don't remember the name, but it is the one where a humanoid become a warforged...). I am not quite sure yet if he will do that, but it is a possibility I think about.

Bront

The man with the probe
Magic of Eberron will get it's own thread eventualy. We're going through those books extensively in published order. This is the thread for non-eberron specific books.

Velmont

First Post
For non-Eberron book, I think it should be limited. Even if it might make the administrative work heavier, I would rather go element by element (Class, PrC, Race, spell, Rules, ect...) rather book by book. Not everyone have access to all book, even less own them, so if there is too much book approve dlike that, there might be element that doesn,t quite fit in teh world.

An example is the Psionic book: powers could fits pretty well with the Kalashar, but what about all the new psionic races? (That case have aleardy been handle, but it is a nice example).

I don't want to prevnt people to gain access to something, just to be sure it fits well in the world. One concept I like is a Changeling Warlock with Beguiling Influence, but that doesn't mean the Warlock could fit well in the world (but with the history about demon and devils, it might well fits).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
For non-Eberron book, I think it should be limited. Even if it might make the administrative work heavier, I would rather go element by element (Class, PrC, Race, spell, Rules, ect...) rather book by book. Not everyone have access to all book, even less own them, so if there is too much book approve dlike that, there might be element that doesn,t quite fit in teh world.

An example is the Psionic book: powers could fits pretty well with the Kalashar, but what about all the new psionic races? (That case have aleardy been handle, but it is a nice example).

I don't want to prevnt people to gain access to something, just to be sure it fits well in the world. One concept I like is a Changeling Warlock with Beguiling Influence, but that doesn't mean the Warlock could fit well in the world (but with the history about demon and devils, it might well fits).
Completely agree about doing it piecemeal, even though it gives me more work!

As to Warlocks--They could be tainted by Khyber! :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I didn't know they were in the MMI (stupid SRD). That's probably an issue we'll have to address.

Edit: After comparing the two, the Psionic ones should be the ones allowed, and I don't see why we shouldn't. The XPH race limit was more on the standard XPH races, not the monsterous ones. I'll wait for others to chime in though.
XPH for absolute certain. Oh and Bront--Archivists are free online on the Wizards site ;)

Remove ads