• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Canada portrayed negatively in games?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Stormborn said:
You think Canada gets a poor or inaccurate portrayal? Try being from the American South.

Oh I believe you. We used to have an image problem in NYC until people started visiting after 9/11 and realized we're some pretty nice, friendly people. Travel is a good thing, because you start to realize people are people, and most people are kind, friendly folks. :)

Roudi

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Canadians aren't being singled out. Blame the decline of American geography classes overall.
Perhaps we could take lessons from The Iraq? They could give maps to those kids that don't have them.

For the children...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
HellHound said:
For inaccuracies, check out the first adventure published for Werewolf the Apocalypse. It is PAINFUL.

The party is teleported to northern Saskatchewan, and the villain routinely drives between that location and Toronto, only 150 miles away.

Yep. 150 miles.
An awful lot of W:tA stuff was badly researched - take a look at what they did with the Amazon....

A note to those folks confused be 'eh' - 'eh' appears at the end of a spoken sentence, most often as a query as to whether you heard/understood/agree with the speaker, followed by a confirming 'eh' from the queried party, sometimes not otherwise accompanied. Thus, as an example of usage-
Fred: I'm heading down to the store Bob, the girl there is cute, eh?
Bob: Eh.

A Canadian friend of mine translated 'eh' as 'make a noise so I know you're listening.'

The Auld Grump

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
So it appears that the answer to the question "Is Canada regularly (or indeed, ever) portrayed negatively in game products?" is "Nope, hardly at all."

Good to know!

solkan_uk

First Post
I love some of the almost comical ways England is portrayed in RPG's, Movies, Books etc.
We seem to stuck in the victorian era for a lot of them.

Raptor said:
Canadians drink more beer per capita then any other nation state on Earth.
That must be a factual error! I was always certain that Germany was the one.. But maybe I ruined the statistics? (Don't drink a drop
of alcohol
) :D

tenkar

Old School Blogger
jaerdaph said:
Oh I believe you. We used to have an image problem in NYC until people started visiting after 9/11 and realized we're some pretty nice, friendly people. Travel is a good thing, because you start to realize people are people, and most people are kind, friendly folks. :)

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far ;)

New Yorkers tend to leave each other alone for the most part. Maybe because the city is so crowded we have this thing about personal space. Others read this as rudeness. However, if you are lost or need help most New Yorkers will step up if asked.

When the chips are down this city does pull together like no other... I witnessed that first hand on 9-11.

Milwaukee is/was a friendly city. Was there for a gen con about 15 years ago. Folks waited for the walk signs to turn green, crossed at the corners, and even the homeless picking thru the garbage cans for bottles said good morning as we passed. Felt like the twilight zone for a New Yorker like me ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads