Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I think one of the balancing factors of the Twilight cleric's THP sphere is that it is filled with dim light, which is going to reduce the vision of any characters without Darkvision who remain in it. Granted, that might only affect a couple of us (human and genasi I think-- the dwarf, svirfneblin, high elf, and the twilight cleric all get Darkvision), but it will have at least some impact on the game.
How very interesting, and a very astute observation @DEFCON 1 ; I never thought about that. That's probably why the domain grants dark vision through the eyes of the night feature: Eyes of the night As an action, you can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures you can see within 10 feet of you, up to a number of creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once you share it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a spell slot of any level to share it again.

So you need to waste 1 action doing this, but those affected get 300ft darkvision. Interesting & can't wait to try it out!

This got me thinking about the channel divinity feature, and whether it would cancel out magical darkness. I think so because of the first point highlighted below (channel divinity is magical & comes from a god). Also this.

1618524516558.png

DM's call though.

Cheers,

SG

FitzTheRuke

Legend
3+level works for me. I’m assuming these refresh each round for the duration, so each new round, alliés in the aura get 3+level THP. It would average out close to that anyways and I’m willing to forego the 0.5 because it’s a super strong feature!
Thanks!

sg

Yeah, I thought about the .5 too, but I think it works to just say 7 (3+level 4) for now. It will be easier to keep track of, and it's still crazy good.
I think one of the balancing factors of the Twilight cleric's THP sphere is that it is filled with dim light, which is going to reduce the vision of any characters without Darkvision who remain in it. Granted, that might only affect a couple of us (human and genasi I think-- the dwarf, svirfneblin, and high elf all get Darkvision), but it will have at least some impact on the game.

That's true! Characters without darkvision will have -5 passive perception and disadvantage on perception checks involving sight. It's not much of a penalty most of the time, but you wouldn't want to use it when there's traps about...

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
How very interesting, and a very astute observation @DEFCON 1 ; I never thought about that. That's probably why the domain grants dark vision through the eyes of the night feature: Eyes of the night As an action, you can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures you can see within 10 feet of you, up to a number of creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once you share it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a spell slot of any level to share it again.

So you need to waste 1 action doing this, but those affected get 300ft darkvision. Interesting & can't wait to try it out!

This got me thinking about the channel divinity feature, and whether it would cancel out magical darkness. I think so because of the first point highlighted below (channel divinity is magical & comes from a god). Also this.

View attachment 135601

DM's call though.

Cheers,

SG
So I found this clear statement by Jeremy Crawford and in my mind the issue is resolved. Since it isn’t a spell, the channel divinity will illuminate a darkness spell. Cool ;-)

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
That's true! Characters without darkvision will have -5 passive perception and disadvantage on perception checks involving sight. It's not much of a penalty most of the time, but you wouldn't want to use it when there's traps about...
It’ll only affect our human rogue, but if there’s a risk of traps, I think my character will use the dark vision ability out of combat, and he’ll enjoy the 300 ft dark vision for sure!
Cheers,

sg

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Question for hp , Max at first then 5 per level for d8s, right? I think I messed them up and did the straight average. Should be 26 instead of 20.

Sg

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"On your way to Candlekeep, Miss? Then, please... allow Marsden to bring you aboard and we shall ride in style on behalf of the Black Dragon Gate Mining Consortium."
"Help from a mining consortium? Thank you, kind Sir!" The Genasi smiled as she stepped into the carriage. "Geb must be smiling upon me after the journey to get this far."

OOC: Let me know if that's too hard to read, some colors don't work that well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases