• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Carrion Crown AP (The Deadwatchers) - IC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Elthos's blade slices clean through the skull and it too drops to the groud as the flames go out.

"Good hit!"
Valanar says as he moves by the young rogue and around the pit. To slow in his armor to get a swing in before the others Valanar is in a flanking position with Szare, and readies his own attack.

Triessa's magical acid misses the creature as Piedra let's one of the blue flecthed arrows fly. He like everyone else is astounded when the arrow turns transparent and flies right through the skull. <blue flecthed arrows are +1 ghost touch>

Bella has a little breakthrough in what these things are after seeing how weak they are in combat.

[sblock=Know check]
FLUFF:
Beheaded are floating skulls or severed heads whose bodies have long since abandoned them, either in the moment of death or long after. Reanimated via dark magic, these horrors are usually created as mindless sentinels for dungeons or lairs. Beheaded silently hover at about eye-level, often making them the last thing a casual wanderer or careless villager in an infested area ever sees. Spellcasters might create and employ beheaded in multiple ways.

CRUNCH:

undead traits[/sblock]
[sblock=EDIT] My fault didn't see ghostcat rolled for his att already. would have been at -1 due to shooting in melee with a +1 weapon. but still a hit at 16 - only one skull left and will use roll below for it's rd1 attack so a miss and it is now top of the second round.

INIT:
Szare
Elthos
skull
Bella
Valanar
Triessa
Piedra[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Szare whirls on the other skull nearby, only to see it shatter from an arrow hit. With a silent snarl he leaps over the trickle of water to land beside the last skull floating and lashes out with a single taloned hand!

(OOC - I am confused as to which skull is currently still alive. As I read the updates, it looks like Szare killed one, Elthos killed one, and Piedra killed one. But you then say one's left, so this is an attack on that one...wherever it is. :))

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Szare finishes the last hovering skull and the group stands quiet and still for a few moments in case anything else may arise.

They all breath a little easier but don't quiet totally relax as they continue to search the area.

OCC: Combat Over. Piedra didn't kill the skull he hit it for 3 dmg. But it's dead now.

jackslate45

First Post
Elthos had looked in slight horror at Szare as his jaw stretched wide. He kept shooting nervous looks at him while searching, but learned to put it out of his mind. Just glad he is on our side.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Brushing herself off, Bella looks around, satisfaction on her face. "Well, that wasn't so bad. Sorry I don't have much in the form of combat. Hopefully things will change. On the other hand, it seems that more clues are revealed..."

Nodding, she adds, "Those were beheaded. Undead. Dark magic is what brings them to life. Used for guards at times. Means we are onto something. Or someone..."

Shayuri

First Post
Szare picked idly at his teeth, finally flicking a sliver of bone out from between his fangs with a claw. The fragment flipped end over end to he floor, trailing smoke behind it and bouncing to a stop on the floor.

Triessa puts her hand to her forehead and breathes a sigh of relief as she comes farther into the room to peer down the hole.

"Well, that's one way down. Hope there's no more of those things waiting."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Piedra checks the floor around the hole and finds it solid. Whatever weak unstable portions that once must have been here have long since fallen away to the chamber below.

Looking into the pit the group sees a small pool of water about twenty feet from the opening. It seems that dark pond water makes it's way slowly down the west wall to pool at the bottom before seeping away once more.

The hole has no wall near it and it would be a perilous climb across the roof of the chamber <DC 30> to one of the existing walls. Better if the group were to use ropes or a ladder to reach the bottom.

Valanar speaks up as he looks over into the whole and then around. "Not sure we will find what we are looking for down in some pit. We need to find a records room or office. There must be lost records here still of the prisoners that were held here during the fire."

OCC: DM's way of letting you know that going to the second lvl of the dungeon may be a bit premature at this early stage of your adventuring careers.
;) But I won't stop you.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I have rope Master Elthos," Valanar says and then points to Piedra. "And the dwarf is prepared as well. I just don't think whatever we need is down there. Those flying heads may very well be guarding something but whatever it is can wait till we have more information."

Valanar looks around. "Where to then?"

Remove ads