• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changeover Poll

Changeover Poll

• Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D

Votes: 193 32.2%
  • Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play

Votes: 56 9.3%
  • Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play

Votes: 32 5.3%
  • Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 18 3.0%
  • Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play

Votes: 114 19.0%
  • No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play

Votes: 165 27.5%

korjik

First Post
I chose option 6 but it isnt entirely true.

First, we havent completely stopped 4e, but it has become the least played. It is played when the group cant all get together.

Second, we havent gone back to 3.5. We are going to play a bit of Heavy Gear, try out some SAGA (it already looks to have the same probs as 4e).

Group consensus is that it feels like a tactical game too much and an RPG not enough. Personal view is that the magic isnt very magical. I also dont think that homoginizing the classes was the way to go. A Wizard should function differently than a fighter.

Dragon Snack

First Post
Eh... I'm not sure I agree.

In the first case you're not really getting them to buy something they don't want. You're getting them to buy something they DO want, and switching it for soemthing they don't. You're not really getting them to say this isn't what I want, but I'm going to buy it anyway.

The second one... Maybe, but is it really the same since they're still getting what they actually want? The other thing is just an added uncared about bonus..
You're moving the goalposts on me. If someone is holding a gun to your head they're not really getting you buy something you DO want, they're forcing you to buy something you don't.

And you're still paying for the bundled stuff, even if it seems like you're getting it for "free" (the cost may be negligible, but there is a cost)...

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
982 votes:

Changeover: 32%
No Changeover: 59%
Partial Changeover: 9%

Option 6: 31%

The Two-Thirds Rule that has dominated this poll for the last 500 votes continues.

Zustiur

Explorer
An alternative to the proposed 'why' poll, is:
For those that left/do not play 4E:
* Stuck with/went back to 3.x
* Move to different system (including earlier editions)
* Stopped gaming (or do not have a regular gaming group)

wedgeski

Adventurer
I play both, but the weekly game is 4E, which is the vast majority of my D&D hours. Only an irregular, long-running Dragonlance campaign is sticking with 3.5.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Can someone immediately bring up a link to the First Changeover Poll?
We are now at the exact same number of votes that poll had, and a direct comparison can be made.

I cannot link to it. Can someone else do so?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Thank you. Thank you very much, miscreationist.

-

First Changeover Poll at 990 votes.

Changeover: 37% (Options 1 and 2)
No Changeover: 49% (Options 6 and 7)
Partial Changover: 14% (Options 3, 4, and 5)
Option 6: 22%

-

Second Changeover Poll at 990 votes:

Changeover: 32% (Options 1 and 2)
No Changeover: 59% (Options 6 and 7)
Partial Changeover: 9% (Options 3, 4, and 5)
Option 6: 31%

-

( Based on First Changeover Poll results, at 990 votes, of: )

Option 1: Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D 277 27.98%
Option 2: Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play 87 8.79%
Option 3: Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play 59 5.96%
Option 4: Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play 27 2.73%
Option 5: Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play 50 5.05%
Option 6: No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play 221 22.32%
Option 7: No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play 269 27.17%

-

( Based on Second Changeover Poll results, and 990 votes, of: )

Option 1: Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D 250 25.25%
Option 2: Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play 65 6.57%
Option 3: Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play 39 3.94%
Option 4: Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play 17 1.72%
Option 5: Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play 32 3.23%
Option 6: No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play 310 31.31%
Option 7: No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play 277 27.98%

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
If this comparison doesn't represent an emigration of 4E players from EN World (and maybe even if it does), this is very, very bad news for 4E.

Dragon Snack

First Post
First, can we stop the with the 2/3 thing? I'm not a fan of 4.0, but 58-59% is NOT two thirds. A 'partial' changeover IS a changeover, to not include them with the others is disingenuous.

This poll does surprise me. I fully expected to see a 70% (or so) changeover to 4.0, only it seems to be going in reverse. I would have assumed that as more books were released and more options were added that the resistance to change would wane. Maybe in time this will be the case, but it appears that WotC will have a ways to go to try to recapture those that have turned away. They most certainly have lost momentum.

Has this poll been done on the WotC/Gleemax boards? I don't bother with them anymore (they lost my account in the gleemax fiasco and they were a pain to access/read anyway). I'm sure it would skew more to the changeover side of the equation, but it could be very telling...

Remove ads