D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine is making $11.5 million for D&D movie

Most Hollywood movies that are over 90 minutes don't really have enough story for their run time.

Especially 3rd acts. Most Hollywood movies I've seen in the last 10 years had perfunctory and perfectly predictable 3rd acts.

Not to derail the thread, but I liked Bright. I've never played Shadowrun so, if it was supposed to be based off of Shadowrun, I had no preexisting expectations to be disappointed at not being met. Also, don't know if it was popular enough to justify the cost of the script, but I don't think it was a terrible movie.

so did I, I never got a Shadowrun vibe out of it.

The action-live movie of Ninja Turtles in the 90's was fun, the sequels not too much. Michael Bay's movie was a blockbuster, but the sequel was not the same. I liked more the sequel of the movie of the ewoks more than the first one. Some times the movies have a special "spark" or touch, and others they don't.

How is D&D imagined in the eyes of the no-geek audince? A mixture of Indiana Jones and Prince Valiant, Lara Croft and King Arthur, George Lucas+Tolkien, Ivanhoe+Flash Gordon. Exotic, but not too much strange.

I wonder if after the end of the Hasbro-Paramount deal this should be renewed, and this with the exclusive, or partnership with different companies (Disney, Warner, Amazon..).

One thing to remember is that most blockbusters make the majority of their money in non english speaking countries, particularly china.

Dialogue and culture is hard to sell to different groups, so you tend to get a lot of the "robots go boom" movies as it's universal and easily understood.

If the D&D movie is going to try and compete in that space, expect it to be much more about exciting combats and special effects, and of a more basic dialogue and plot development.

Zardnaar

Legend
Ok
so did I, I never got a Shadowrun vibe out of it.
One thing to remember is that most blockbusters make the majority of their money in non english speaking countries, particularly china.

Dialogue and culture is hard to sell to different groups, so you tend to get a lot of the "robots go boom" movies as it's universal and easily understood.

If the D&D movie is going to try and compete in that space, expect it to be much more about exciting combats and special effects, and of a more basic dialogue and plot development.

The studios get more money from the US box office around 60% of the take vs 25% in China iirc.

In absolute dollars you're kinda right but unless a movie makes a vast amount more overseas the domestic market is still the most important.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Naw, the studio itself makes a majority of their money from domestic sales due to the contracts with theaters for the cut they get. China offers the lowest cut of all locations, as low as 20% of their box office totals. A studio can intentionally work a movie to get a higher cut from China for a certain type of movie, but this type of movie doesn't fit in that exception to the general rule.

I don't think it was a terrible movie.

By any reasonable critical standard, it's a really, really bad movie. Godawful writing that's clumsy and extremely lazy on multiple levels, terrible pacing, not-great action scenes, Joel Edgerton really miscast (and not the only one), dumb as a box full of rocks, and it's even visually ugly thanks to the colour filtering and the mediocre cinematography. That doesn't mean it doesn't have fans. There are no major movies so bad they don't have fans. Even the recent car-crash that was The Rise of Skywalker has defenders.

One review said: "Bright is dedicated to using promising ideas in the least imaginative ways possible." and that is absolutely spot-on. It's like if you told someone kind of thick and unimaginative, who really loves cliches and stereotypes, really sees the world solely through cliches and stereotypes, about Shadowrun, after he'd been watching mediocre LA-set action movies whilst drunk, he might come up with this.

Honestly Bright is easily the most disappointingly awful movie I've ever seen. How do you waste Will Smith that badly in a buddy-cop action movie? How is that even possible? I've seen plenty of bad movies but none just as soul-destroying as Bright. I heard it was bad before watching it, but I didn't believe it, obviously critics were just "not getting it". Then I saw it...

EDIT - Funnily enough I think it did pretty well by Netflix movie standards. I mean, it was decent-budget buddy-cop movie starring Will Smith. So huge numbers of people (including me) saw it despite terrible reviews. I'm sure the cost of the script was relatively minor next to say, Mr Smith's fee. It's obviously not justifiable relative to the cost of other scripts, but that's kind of besides the point. It was good enough by the standards of the day that there was supposed to be a sequel. However, that didn't start shooting when it was supposed to (late 2020, so a couple of years ago), and indeed, last we heard, the script was still in development hell, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
"If?" This rings so true that I am now expecting nothing from the movie besides a reskinned Transformers explosion-athon. Someone please ask Peter Jackson to do the Children of Hurin!

Remove ads