D&D (2024) Class Exclusive spells

Spells are an impotant way to customize a character.

To make a spell exclusive to a class is the same thing as removing player choice.

I prefer the recent approach that says, "use this feature, or an other feature of your choice".

Recommend, and dont coerce.
No it isnt.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I personally think there is no real difference between a 'class-exclusive spell' and a 'class feature' except for the number of times it can be used (class features would usually be X times per long rest, class spells would be as many times as you'd like based on available spell slots.) So thinking one method of counting is better or more appropriate than the other is not something I believe. Both are fine ways of counting.

I mean look at it this way... a character at 12th level will be throwing around their high-level spells all the time, and could easily have days where they have left up to like a half-dozen 1st and 2nd level spell slots on the table unused because they were not needed. Is there thus any reason why a different so-called "class feature" couldn't be using those unused slots, rather than having its own completely different counting system of how many times it can be used per day? For me personally... there is nothing inherently wrong with using one or the other. So I don't dismiss the option out of hand just because "Ew! Spells!"

aco175

Legend
I would be in favor of having a base list, mostly for arcane casters. Then, each school of type of caster can get more spells based on their subclass. This way frost mages or diviners cannot get fireball, but fire mages cannot get other cool spells that the other do. Feels like a better concept that you get everything you might need and at each level you can swap out crap you think is junk now that you gained a level.

Some spells like eldritch blast seem clearly the best spell for the level and can be made just warlock only or nerfed to be like the rest if they want to keep it for everyone. I know it is a 'warlock' only now spell, but so many builds highjack it or even bards take it when they can choose any spell that it needs to be looked at.

It also seems that druids and clerics are being pushed more apart in flavor, so maybe more spells should be divided. There can still be some things that overlap and some like cure stuff might need some overlap for game balance, but making class choice a bigger thing is worth it.

Horwath

Legend
I personally think there is no real difference between a 'class-exclusive spell' and a 'class feature' except for the number of times it can be used (class features would usually be X times per long rest, class spells would be as many times as you'd like based on available spell slots.) So thinking one method of counting is better or more appropriate than the other is not something I believe. Both are fine ways of counting.

I mean look at it this way... a character at 12th level will be throwing around their high-level spells all the time, and could easily have days where they have left up to like a half-dozen 1st and 2nd level spell slots on the table unused because they were not needed. Is there thus any reason why a different so-called "class feature" couldn't be using those unused slots, rather than having its own completely different counting system of how many times it can be used per day? For me personally... there is nothing inherently wrong with using one or the other. So I don't dismiss the option out of hand just because "Ew! Spells!"
one reason that some spells should become class features is to remove penalties that comes with using spells. Spell components, silence, counterspell, etc.

And I agree with unspent slots, that is why the new exclusive sorcerer spells should be innate abilities that can be boosted with using spell slots.

Sorcerers Burst, this needs buffing or removal for just an extra cantrip slot. Making it d8 might help this along, or better yet 2d4 with 2d4 increase in cantrip power level, that might see more explosive dice,
Also add that you can add d8(or 2d4) for every spell slot you spend when casting this cantrip

Sorcerers Vitality: this is just bad.
Rework: when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you can as a reaction use part of the spells magic to heal yourself. Heal for 2d4 HP per spell level. If used with 3rd level spell or higher end Blinded, Deafened or Poisoned condition also.

Arcane eruption, this is mostly on, but I would like this to also be an innate ability, that is usable at will.
rework:
Action to use,
Deal 1d6 of damage in 5ft radius.
You can use a spell slot to increase damage by 2d6 and radius by 5ft

Sorcery Incarnate: this is mostly horrible:

rework:
Bonus action, usable once per Long rest
duration: 1 minute, uses concentration as in concentrating on a spell.
1. Gain 3 Sorcery points when you use this ability.
2. you can concentrate on 3 spells at a time(this ability uses 1 of those 3). if you fail Con save, you lose all spells.
3. You spell attacks have advantage on attacks.
4. One target of your spells have disadvantage on saving throws vs your spells.
5. You can use 2 metamagic options on your spells.

you can use this ability again if you spend 5th level spell slot or higher.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I disagree, especially with this latest playtest:

I.E.
Scribe spell, why is this a spell in the first place? What was wrong with having it in Spellbook description part? What is a benefit of this becoming a spell? Will someone try to poach this spell with some feats/class features? No.

Same as Sorcerous burst, a spell so criminally bad, that no one will take it, so it's just a "free" cantrip for sorcerers, well, not free as it still uses class resources and anyone with a brain will try to haggle the DM to give them one cantrip of choice instead, Mending or Light sounds nice instead.

Or any Sorcerer exclusive spells, all are awful with exception of Arcane eruption.

Or pact weapon cantrip?
Just have it say; As a Bonus action you conjure any weapon in your hand that lacks Heavy property, you are proficient with it.
No need to code it as a spell.
The issue of whether that stuff should be spells is separate from my post talking about having class spell lists.

Gadget

Adventurer
I can go either way, but I will also note that a big part of D&D spellcasters has always been what spells they have access to; spells have traditionally provided a lot of the feel, flavor, fiction and mechanical differentiation between various spellcasters. Over time, this has eroded somewhat as the designers have tried to incorporate more and more concepts and archetypes with various classes and subclasses but is still part of class identity imho.

Having said that, some of the 'class spells' in the recent list could indeed be re-termed class features with little effort. I'm thinking particularly the Warlock cantrips and things like Scribe Spell. Other, higher level class spells that use a spell slot less so. I'm not I buy the whole 'class spells should always be class features' argument.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I like the idea of class exclusive spells.

I would love to see some of the arrow magic splls be ranger exclusive as they are spells only a ranger would make. A general druid or wizard are not martial enough to use them. There might be one famous elf druid who channels lightning into his arrows but he'sone in a billion. Druids are too tied to nature to bind nature to a weapon. Only a ranger who can revere nature without being submissive to it would be able to grasp primal air and fire and attach them to a weapon.

Also I see various superpowers as sorcerer spells. To me,the X-gene or metagene in fantasy is a sorcerer spell list. I couldsee someone write a book of spells which are the powers of various Marvel mutants and DC metas as sorcerer innate spells. No a wizard cannot create an Optic blast spell. It's too raw to be bound to a spell and requires innate training of a sorcerer to handle safely.

Remove ads