D&D 5E Class Group Traveller

Frostmarrow

First Post
If the rogue class group were to be named Traveller (containing rogue, ranger, and bard) what does that tell us about the classes in the class group?

* A traveller should be rugged and sturdy but not quite as tough as a warrior.

* A traveller prefers light armor for convenience, speed and protection.

* A traveller should have access to a variety of awareness, exploration and wilderness skills.

* A traveller is not necessarily a fugitive or criminal, although it's good to be a traveller if you are wanted by the law.

* A traveller should carry light to medium weapons designed for hunting and self-protection.

* A traveller should have access to a variety of social skills such as secret signs, languages and endearing performance.

* A traveller umbrella can cover other character concepts such as bounty hunter, thief, and vagabond.

What do you think? A player character is a travelling adventurer, right? While an expert is a villager with expert skills in say smithing and cobblery. Is this a distinction worth making?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I think...this is genius.

...and they wouldn't have to rename/retcon "Rogue" as a class name...

I don't see it catching on, but as described by you, I think this is perfect! Nicely done.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think it is a much better choice that Trickster. For me, it's a 50/50 with Adventurer. I think Adventurer has a bit more applicable connotation, however it suffers in the fact that Adventurer really applies to all members of the party.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
On reflection, I'm in favour of Adventurer. I know all classes are adventurers, but the word just feels right in that place to me.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
as long as it is spelled with two Ls, to ensure maximum confusion, and to raise the ire of sf gaming fans.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Explorer, Traveler, Adventurer, Rogue, they all work fine for me.

NOW I get it. I always thought traveler was the British spelling on account of General Lee's horse was named Traveller with two els (according to Richard Adams).

Terribly sorry, [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION]

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads