D&D 5E Climbing and falling

True if there's someone at the top to hold said rope or tie it to something sturdy. Not so true if the whole party is at the bottom... :)

...unless said rope has a grappling hook and there's something up topside that it can hook onto...

Oh yeah for sure. Different pits and situations.

But broadly speaking, with adequate hand-holds and enough time, you'll get out of the pit.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Oh yeah for sure. Different pits and situations.

But broadly speaking, with adequate hand-holds and enough time, you'll get out of the pit.
In most cases. It's rare to get a whole party down a pit (though I've done it), and if someone's still up top getting the rest out is easy. It's when they're all down there and nobody has much climbing skill that things get interesting... :)

(of course, with a long-in-the-tooth campaign like mine those days are well past; now every party has at least one PC with flight in some form or other)

Laurefindel

Legend
That's the purpose of your pits. Mine are much more varied depending upon what I need. You missed the point of what I was trying to say. I understand your point, that every pit you do is the same and is a challenge and you use it the same way (maybe?). I don't.
You seem to be speaking from the perpective of the DM where pits (and obstacles) serve the story/challenge for the players.

i believe @dnd4vr ‘s use for a pit trap was more from the perspective of the person building (digging?) the pit; pits traps are made to trap and pin people (and animals) in place, with or without the intention of killing them, or at the very least slow them down and prevent a charge.

[edit] I guess some could be made to intimidate too.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Drain resources. Hit points mainly.

Occasionally pose a lethal threat (spikes, long falls, sheer walls etc).
Because people can fall in, injuring themselves, and possibly become trapped.
So, the same thing mine do then??? ;)

Even a 50' pit is easily climbed out of with a rope which all adventurers have. Unless you're doing something radically different to me, climbing out of a pit using a rope with a wall to brace on is 'DC dont bother rolling, you make it.'
Sure. Getting out of a pit isn't hard IF you have help, a rope (and people to lower it to you or a grappling hook), easy handholds (rock projections and crevices, roots, etc.) to climb. But a lot of people can't climb ropes easily even (remember how many kids, even older teens, had issues with rope climbing in gym class?). With a rope, you gain advantage on your check for climbing and the DC is usually lower anyway (typically 8 or so) IMO.

Consider this example: even a DC 10 with rope and +0 modifier will only fall 4% of the time. If you have a +4 or better modifier, you would only fall with double 1's, so 1 in 400 chance. With 4 checks, the +0 modifier would fall (at some point) about 15%, but with the +4 or better it is only 1%.

So, yes, with help, and even a bit of ability or proficiency, it isn't hard to get out of a pit. Without help, it is much harder but still very possible. That's all I've been saying since the beginning. But all this started with us talking about climbing a cliff by oneself.

Anyway, the big difference (as I already noted) is in game style--if you want to take the time to play these obstacles out and make them part of the PCs experiences.

Not result in Achilles comically struggling to get out of one for 5 minutes of game play..?
Given his strength and proficiency in Athletics, it shouldn't be a problem. ;) So, I really don't know why you would bring it up unless your Achilles is a wimp? shrug

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This:
1600177724093.png

answers nothing... so thanks for avoiding the issue. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Or... you might slip and fall and break your neck-- which happens unless you just want to give your PCs plot armor? It's fine if you do, as I've said just a difference in play style since I won't give PCs plot armor.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Different styles i guess.
Yep. They certainly do.

No, I don't tell stories about redshirts (I actually am not a fan of Star Trek anyway). I prefer to have my Luke and Han have to deal with the obstacles in the world instead of just saying "you do it, wasn't that exciting?"

IMO you are just removing a point of the exploration by hand-waving such things. I understand it, you want to get to more of the "meat" of an adventure, etc., but it doesn't take long to resolve such things and keeps the game grounded (no pun intended). I mean, sure if there is an obviously "no challenge" alternative (you face a cliff, but if you travel a mile off to the side it is just a hill you can walk up) then just narrate, but failing an obvious alternative... the cliff is right there in front of you.

Anyway, the horse is dead. Get in a last whack if you want, I am done beating it beyond death. ;)

Yep. They certainly do.

No, I don't tell stories about redshirts (I actually am not a fan of Star Trek anyway). I prefer to have my Luke and Han have to deal with the obstacles in the world instead of just saying "you do it, wasn't that exciting?"

IMO you are just removing a point of the exploration by hand-waving such things. I understand it, you want to get to more of the "meat" of an adventure, etc., but it doesn't take long to resolve such things and keeps the game grounded (no pun intended). I mean, sure if there is an obviously "no challenge" alternative (you face a cliff, but if you travel a mile off to the side it is just a hill you can walk up) then just narrate, but failing an obvious alternative... the cliff is right there in front of you.

Anyway, the horse is dead. Get in a last whack if you want, I am done beating it beyond death. ;)

I dont see comically climbing and repeatedly falling into a pit as the 'meat' of any adventure.

But you do you

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases