• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CLOSED Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords, Burnt Offerings

hewligan

First Post
Rhun said:
Noticing Jovik's wound, Danth moves to heal his companion. With a prayer to Sarenae, the young priest pours divine energy into the Chelaxian's body.

Drop last 1st level spell for a Cure Light Wounds on Jovik.

Rolls please!

hewligan

First Post
Rhun said:
Noticing Jovik's wound, Danth moves to heal his companion. With a prayer to Sarenae, the young priest pours divine energy into the Chelaxian's body.

Drop last 1st level spell for a Cure Light Wounds on Jovik.

Roll for the healing please!

frostrune

First Post
OOC: Jokad is down 5 hp also (at 9 of 14) from torch burns but he isn't saying anything about it. 5 hp to him isn't nearly as big a deal as 5 hp to Jovik.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Where have my manners gone? Mandraiv says, slapping his head while the wounded members of the group clutch their injuries. I happen to have a few minor spells that might be of help if you wish them.

OOC: Mandraiv would have offered healing too, but I was under the impression the priest at the temple was providing it for free so I thought we wouldn't waste our resources. He has three orisons that could be swapped for cure minor wounds.

hewligan

First Post
Meeting with Sheriff Belor Hemlock

Upon arrival at the Sandpoint Garrison, at the crossing of Tower and Main streets, you are met with bustling activity as returning militia men, some clearly injured, one being carried by a colleague and hanging limp over his shoulder, file inside the large stone fortress.

The garrison doubles as a militia base and jail, and is under the watchful eye of Belor Hemlock, the sheriff of this town. Belor is a Shoanti native, but has changed his family name to a Chelish translation. He is much loved in town, despite his dour, serious nature (yes, he takes his job very seriously, and yes, he has had a few "minor" run-ins with young Jovik in the past, albeit that he has always admonished the young man and sent him home with head bowed rather than having to actually apply the letter of the law to any misdemeanors).

You are ushered inside by an exhausted looking watchman, his face dirtied and bloodied. Another, younger man takes you up into the garrison, towards the heart of the building. Little words are spoken. People can see the goblin that trots unhappily bound behind you, and the weapons by your sides. It is obvious that Belor will want to see you.

Twin wooden doors, towering some twelve feet high, are pushed aside to let you enter a vast chamber. Inside three men huddle over a small table next to a small slit window that filters a weak beam of light into the room. There may be other windows, but heavy brocade curtains surround the walls on either side of the room, muffling the sounds and blocking the light. As you enter, the three men turn to face you.

You can see Sheriff Belor Hemlock, recognisable to the locals amongst you. He smiles a greeting, his eyes rise a little in surprise at your welcome gift. With him is Father Zantus, recognisable to all of you from the earlier ceremony (only an hour ago, but it feels like an eternity), and a small, fine featured noble lady with short cropped hair that the locals will again recognise as Mayor Kendra Deverin.

Belor addresses you. "A welcome sight, the five of you! We have heard of your heriocs this day. Young Jovik, I always thought you had a bit of a spark in you! And I see you bring us a treasure!" The goblin squeals and struggles against his bonds, but he is weak and his spirit is broken.

Belor continues: "We must speak. There have been ... developments ... that perhaps explain the raid. If you will, join us, for I feel that your deeds today have earned you some honesty from us." The mayor nods in agreement, but Father Zantus looks a little uncomfortable.

----

You spend almost thirty minutes in the company of the three, listening to their theories, and helping to extract what information you could from the goblin. What you can get out of the goblin amounts to little. They were given orders to kill everyone in town and burn down the place. He does not know the leader's name, except that it was one of "you longshanks". Their leader was on a secret mission to the town's graveyard, but he doesn't have a clue what that mission was. It was a secret, after all.

It is at this point that Father Zantus nods his head wearily. He had wanted to keep it secret, partly from shame, but partly from not wanting to upset the townspeople, but his acolytes came across the desecrated graveyard, and found that the body of Ezakien Tobyn, the old priest (and close friend of Mandraiv) had been exhumed and stolen.

Belor tells you that so far six people have been found dead, as well as almost a dozen dogs and horses combined. In turn so far they have counted twenty dead goblins (not including the ones you just killed in your final encounter, so more now), and expect that the body count on both sides will rise. It appears that the goblins were over-confident, and perhaps focused too much on having fun rather than on causing damage. It could have been a LOT worse!

The goblins fled north in droves when the battle turned against them, and the militia are too few to have given chase. Now is not the time, says the Mayor. The key is to calm down the people, secure the town, flush out any remaining goblins, consecrate the Cathedral (a smaller, private ceremony tomorrow is muted), and take care of the injured. There will be time to investigate the goblins later.

You are all thanked profusely. Father Zantus actually gives Jokad a hug, and thanks the big one. "You are a proper gift from the heavens!" he says. "They sent you to be here when we would need you. It was fate!". Belor gives Jovik a warm slap on the back and says quietly as you are leaving ""Your father would be proud of what you did lad, although of course he would never tell you that".

OOC: Please feel free to roleplay any element of the above, your interactions with these three important NPCs, and also your decisions on where to go stay now. Are you going to stay together in the same inn, or arrange to meet up for the hunt in 2 days? Roleplay it, come to a decision, and then I will move things on pretty rapidly to the next stage.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Since Ezakien was a friend of Mandraiv's, is it possible Mandraiv can think of any reason someone might want to exhume him? Was he buried with anything important? Did he have any enemies in life? I'd also like to make a Knowledge (history) check to see if there is any tale of necromancers ever troubling the area.

Knowledge 26

Mandraiv is disheartened when he hears of the grave robbery. He sits in silence most of the meeting after that. However, towards the end, his resolve strengthens and he volunteers to aid in the consecration ceremony. Furthermore, he adds, I may be an old man, but I owe it to my late friend to get to the bottom of this. If you'll have me, I'd like to tag along as I'm certain the rest of you will be planning an expedition to determine the cause of this goblin menace.

Friadoc

Explorer
"Not to suggest a manipulation of your folk," says Kael after Mandraiv spoke. "But word seems to have spread rather quick of our part in the defense, so our presence around town and the countryside, doing daily activities, might help sooth nerves and spirits...plus we it might help flush out any remaining gobs."

"Mal and I are at your disposal," adds Kael with a pet upon the neck of his familiar. Then he looks to the others from the fate-spawned group.

Rhun

First Post
Danth nods. "I am more than happy to provide what aid I can to the people of Sandpoint. Whether it be tracking down goblins or healing the wounded, it is Sarenae's will that I be hear and lend a hand."

hewligan

First Post
Mandraiv: It doesn't take a local history check to tell you what happened on that fateful night, or to know that your old friend had no enemies you knew of.

You were one of the first on the scene, beaten back by the intense flames. It was a horrendous fire that leveled a large part of the northern section of town, although it is now known to have started in the priest's home. There was little of that structure left, and, in fact, only a few badly charred bones were recovered from the church.

What saddened you most was that the living quarters of the church were so completely obliterated by the incessant flames that they never found enough of his daughter to even properly bless her remains. She was buried beside her father, of course, for it is vital to consecrate the dead, but her coffin was filled with ash from the scene (as was her father's coffin, along with his bones).

His wife had died years before. She had been a woman consumed by depression, and had been found at the foot of the cliffs one morning, when her child was still just a baby. It was quite a horrible end to a very sad family tale, and you know that Father Tobias had not had an easy life, bringing up his daughter on his own. It really saddened you, these events, but time is a great healer!

Remove ads