• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC-DnD3e-FR] Dead of Winter

perivas

First Post
Yanis looks about for any prying eyes and then looks about some more for a way into the abandoned building. Judging that it's still daylight outside for a quite few more hours, now is as good a time as any to investigate. He looks at Karok and speaks up, "Want to have another look? Or do you think finding some honest work might be better suited for you?"

Regardless of Karok's response, Yanis tries to sneak into the building without others noticing him slipping in.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Move 9: Kirbi

Korbi will stop first at the temple of the broken god, To say a prayer for his wife and daughters. He Looks very unhappy and cries audibly while in the church. "Rosilia my jewel! Tansi and Santi...all gone...What am I to do?"
Obviously grief stricken, Korbi never the less wanders outside the temple every few minutes to see if Petal is still unmolested where he tied her up. Goblin the cat always dashing just ahead of his companion making sure no harm comes to Korbi or the mule.

Rorschach

First Post
"W'l, thr'r' three'possibil'ties," Fezzin says, sticking his head out of the hole. "F'rst, it snoock'in b'its'lf, an'wait'd. Twu: 't'c'm'in fr'm th'outs'de n' hid's'lf t'make l'k it'd'cm'in sm'other way. Three--'twas put there b's'mone else. I'ma'ch'ck th'f'rst'un." Lowering himself back into the crawlspace, Fezzin scours it for clues as to the beastie's entry.

OOC: Take 20 again. I'll continue investigating these possibilities in turn until I see Zichard again.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Prologue (Move 10)

30 Flamerule 1372 DR, Caerrhen, Damara-Impiltur border
It is currently unseasonably warm and uncomfortable in northwestern Impiltur, with uncharacteristically high humidity. There is no noticeable wind.

Yanis Princetonson, Approximately 0930 hours
Karok shrugs at your suggestion; it would seem that he's game enough to go in with you, although not eager in any sense. As far as you can tell, there are two ways into the house: the front door, which is clearly visible from the Mine Road, and the through the cellar entry, a raised hatch located on the back of the house. The latter would only be visible to someone walking along the inside of Caerrhen's southern wall.

OOC: There are at least 9 hours of daylight left, as it is just shy of midmorning. Sunset is roughly at 1900 hours or so.

Fezzin Verghenheim, Approximately 1115 hours
After thorougly examing the crawlspace (and finding 2 cp dropped and kicked through the spaces between the boards by careless miners), you are convinced that the beast had not been in the crawlspace long and that it had to have come in through the dormitory and tavern room, like everyone else. For all the architectural shortcomings of the Tankard, it doesn't have holes in the exterior walls or tunnels in the crawlspace.

Sir Zichard Danilk, Approximately 1115 hours
You move towards the area from which you heard the scuttling. As you approach that spot, [Listen Check: (19 on d20) + (Wis +1) = 20)] you can the sounds of slurping, crunching, and smacking from the branches above you. Looking up, you can see the limping rat thing hunkered over a dark and wet ball of cloth that you can only assume was the child's swaddling clothes. You hear it lick it lips. [Sanity Check: 37 on d20, Zichard takes 3 sanity points as he realizes what just happened.] As of yet, it hasn't noticed you, you don't think...

Korbi Gobknocker, Approximately 1115 hours
You enter the main chapel of the Ilmaterian temple through the large doorway in the southern side. The chapel itself is beautiful, with well made oaken pews set in the stone floors. Two elves in blue robes are currently working on installing stained glass panels. They pay you no notice until your cry of distress, which nearly causes them to drop the piece they are handling. Setting it down, one elf heads towards the back of the chapel and off into a side corridor, while the other approaches you.

"I am Brother Isaanhen of the Broken God. You are distressed?" The question comes across as a prompting more than an inquiry, and the elf seems distinctly uncomfortable with the prospects of dealing with your grief.

OOC: See the OOC thread for scheduling things!

Last edited:

drs

First Post
Zichard lets the reins of his horse fall from his hand. He grips his sword tightly, so tightly that his hand starts to go pale white. Drawing in a deep breath he rears his sword in preparation for the strike, "For truth, arhhh!!" With that he sends his sword into the fiendish monster.

OOC: Zichard will attack the creature, and attempt to Smite Evil. If the creature is out of reach (a bit hard to get out of your description), Zichard will strike at the tree with a normal attack, and will scream "You filth! Get down here now!"

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Korbi move 10

Korbi looks at the cleric with ears staining his face. "I'm very sorry to cause trouble Brother Isaanhen. I have lost my family to a fire a few days ago and the pain is great yet." Korbi gets up and whipes his eyes. He will try to compose himself and will walk around the temple and look at the stained glass that they are putting up.

perivas

First Post
"Well. No point in standing around like two trees. Come on, let's go inside." Yanis leads the way to the raised hatch (i.e., the cellar entry) and opens it. He gets out his everburning torch and then hands Karok a dagger. "Just in case." He heads inside and motions Karok to follow.

bluegreenone

First Post
Eyeing the second man, Daan said "I am sorry friend, I think your larger companion would be better suited for that task. I have business in town so I can accompany you that way, but I must get going." With that Daan prepared to head into town.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Prologue (Move 11)

30 Flamerule 1372 DR, Caerrhen, Damara-Impiltur border
It is currently unseasonably warm and uncomfortable in northwestern Impiltur, with uncharacteristically high humidity. There is no noticeable wind.

Yanis Princetonson, Approximately 0930 hours
The hatch to the cellar is, oddly enough, locked, albeit with a poorly made and rusty lock. It looks like it would be a simple job to pick and even easier to bash open, although the latter would make a fair amount of noise. Of course, you still have not seen anyone this morning, that is anyone outside of Karok and the denizens of the Tankard. Karok willingly takes the dagger you offer, and moves to peek around the corner — "I should have told you that I went through the front door, but this makes much more sense. It's sneakier, safer, quieter..." He pauses for a second. "It's all clear, so whatever your plan is, I'd get to taking care of it soon, otherwise someone might hear the nois—" He stops talking and flushes sheepishly, shrugging.

Sir Zichard Danilk, Approximately 1115 hours
OOC: The tree branch is within reach, being approximately 7.5 ft. of the ground. As Zichard's 6 ft. 1 in. he should be able to catch the rat-thing with the shortsword easily. The creature itself is roughly 2.5 or 3 ft., so you might, if lucky, get a body shot on it.
[Attack Roll, Zichard against Rat-Thing (flat-footed): (20 on d20) + (+4 attack bonus) + (+2 Smite Evil) = 26, Critical threat. Confirm Critical: 20 on d20, Confirmed, Instant Kill threat. Confirm Instant Kill: 1 on d20, Failure. Damage: (3 on d6) + (+2 Str) + (+1 Smite Evil) + (2 on d6) + (+2 Str) + (+1 Smite Evil) = 11 damage. OOC: This, incidentally, would qualify as lucky.] You can feel the Essence of Torm guiding your blade home as you slide it into the bowels of the rat-thing. As you rip your blade free, the beast falls to the ground of the orchard, a bloody mess.

Korbi Gobknocker, Approximately 1115 hours
Isaanhen flushes at your politeness, attempting to stutter an apology, he flushes a deeper red. By this time you've already managed to get up, gather yourself, and move over to the stained glass panel the two men had been installing. Most of the panel has not yet been set into the wall, but you can make out what appears to be some kind of rat in it.

"A gift from Father Alixanather of Athkatla, upon the building of the new temple. I don't know the name of the artisan that composed it. All the other work you see here is the work of the master glazier, Calannspyr Boranthel of Lyrabar." The voice is Isaanhen's and he's smiling sheepishly. "I may be horrible at comforting people, but I'm more than capable at discussing glass work. Somehow it doesn't seem like a very practical trade-off, given my real profession." You notice that the other elf has not yet returned.

Daan, Approximately 1315 hours
Vadim looks at you and runs his hand through his hair. He shrugs and gestures over at Mickul — "Mickul, leave that be and come take the beast away from our gnome friend." Mickul drops his work to come take your bundle away from you. As he slings it over his shoulder, he nods at you and starts to head over into town. Vadim smiles and offers his hand. "Well, if you'd like to follow us in, you're welcome to do so, but you surely aren't obligated. At any rate, well met."

Last edited:

Remove ads