• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Come and (Don't) Get It?

Nichwee

First Post
For mechanical ways to get physics to produce the correct "Taunting" effect:

The Fighter shouts out, swings his weapon above his head and slams the floor with it. Thus the flying monsters are sucked into a vortex of air (from the weapon twirling) and the guys on the ground all get shoved towards the fighter by the shockwave-mini earthquake the Fighter does by slamming his weapon down on the ground.

There you go - Full effect of RAW with a cinematic badassery use of physics (OTT movie hero physics but meh - If Crouching Tigers can run on water my DnD Fighter can create micro earthquakes and tornadoes).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There you go - Full effect of RAW with a cinematic badassery use of physics (OTT movie hero physics but meh - If Crouching Tigers can run on water my DnD Fighter can create micro earthquakes and tornadoes).

Heh at the level where you are probably interacting with Orcus.... ummm might almost make as much sense as my... "Orcus suddenly recognizing the fighter is a reincarnate of one of his ancient enemies."
Powers != one game world thing....

KarinsDad

Adventurer
And victims of thunderwave are hurled 15+ feet by a "whip crack of sonic power", and never fall prone unless it's conveniently just before they might fall of a cliff. What exactly is your point?

My one and only point, which has been blown a bit out of proportion, is that the Martial Power source is about Strength and Willpower (exact quote from PHB), not about supernatural magic.

Pushing foes away with the weapon, bashing them with the shield, making prodigious leaps, all of these are fine.

Becoming a human black hole, it breaks verisimilitude for me.

I prefer to playing DND. I prefer to not play Crouching Tigers Hidden Dragon, especially at level 7.

When elements of other genres leak into DND, it's wonky.

Nichwee

First Post
When elements of other genres leak into DND, it's wonky.

And what is an "element of other genres"?

My version used classic D&D trope effects.
"Smash ground for a shockwave"
"Spin weapon for a mini tornado"
Both happen in Fantasy style adventures (The first was the mainstay of Bobby the Barbarian from the D&D cartoons when I was a kid, and I think Diana the Acrobat did the staff twirling wind tunnel too).
I was using the "Crouching Tiger" reference as a power scale not an idea where it comes from.
Plus the tornado part isn't needed - as flying things are awake (or they would have fallen to the ground) so can be insulted into attacking - thus just leaves the classic "Earthershaker Smash" for moving unconcious things.

How an effect is produced by the Martial source is just a matter of imagination. I gave one option, there is bound to be a million more you can choose. It is a game after all, the limits are The Rules (that your DM chooses to use) and your Imagination (for how those rules work).

I see no reason to change the rules just cos someone's imagination doesn't cut it. Change the rules because you think the 'new' option is better in some way (cinematics, feel, mood, balance) but not just because "I don't see how that works" or you just cripple peeps for not going with a magic class - to get the "Magic did it" defense.

Come and Get It is simply a cool power. I'd probably consider it even if every enemy could also make a free basic attack as a free action against me when I use it.

Of course there are several cases where it might be hard to come up with a sensible narrative explanation. I don't care about those cases. Because when I think of Come and Get It, I have the "cool" images of it in my head, not the stupid ones. ;)

Come and Get It will always be a point of contention. But for me, the coolness it brings outweighs the verisimilitude cases. ;)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
And what is an "element of other genres"?

My version used classic D&D trope effects.
"Smash ground for a shockwave"
"Spin weapon for a mini tornado"
Both happen in Fantasy style adventures (The first was the mainstay of Bobby the Barbarian from the D&D cartoons when I was a kid, and I think Diana the Acrobat did the staff twirling wind tunnel too).

Classic D&D trope effects with magical items that did those cool things for the PCs.

It was magic. It's not part of the non-magical part of the genre.

Look. I'm ok with you being ok with it. It's wonky for me. You won't get me to change my mind.

Super Wuxia does not belong in DND in my opinion unless that is the campaign style. YMWOV.

keterys

First Post
I assume that Come And Get It would be fine as a paladin or warden power (ie, where it physically drags people next to them somehow) - it's just a problem on the fighter?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Becoming a human black hole, it breaks verisimilitude for me.

I prefer to playing DND. I prefer to not play Crouching Tigers Hidden Dragon, especially at level 7.

And my description didn't require either of those. It just requires a little bit of what makes many warlord powers work. Own the battlefield (I think that's the name...) doesn't actually require the warlord physically push everyone within 10 squares of him 10+ feet. It represents his cunning plan coming to fruition. No whirlwinds, earthquakes etc, and yet everyone on the battlefield gets moved to a new position.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And my description didn't require either of those. It just requires a little bit of what makes many warlord powers work. Own the battlefield (I think that's the name...) doesn't actually require the warlord physically push everyone within 10 squares of him 10+ feet. It represents his cunning plan coming to fruition. No whirlwinds, earthquakes etc, and yet everyone on the battlefield gets moved to a new position.

People in battle often loose track of exactly where they and others are... its sometimes called the fog of war.... the battle board with figures on squares makes players and dms think they know more than they do ;p... positions are mutable in part because of this... I have started thinking in terms of some powers including heroic luck elements. So in your case it might have been a clever plan... but my halfling (part warlord) just noticed everybody tumbled in to place in his favor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads