• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Sourcebooks & Campaign Settings

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I did not see an option for none of the above. I only own a couple of them but have not been interested over the last few years with what has been coming out. I guess Tasha's and Xanathar's are more PC options and not world books so I see some value in them.
We don't really have a "None of the above" option in these things because we need people to vote things out -- otherwise the thread would never end! Ain't nobody got time for that!

cwallach

Explorer
Downvotes Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, with a comment "say no to overpowered subclasses."
Then upvotes Xanathar's Guide to Everything, the book that gave us the Hexblade, the Swashbuckler, and War Magic.

That's certainly...a point of view, I guess.
Xanathar's has a lot of good subclasses and material that outweighs the questionable. Wildemount is lacking in good subclasses.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything fixes far more problems than it causes, IMO.

There are far worse books on this list than ol' "Tee-Coe." (TCoE)

There’s only really two serious problem subclasses in Tasha’s - the Twilight and Peace clerics. Most others are perfectly solid and useable. Oh, and the entire ‘puzzle’ section sucks.

Xanathar’s unfortunately being the first big player-facing supplement tried to cover a lot of the big gaps from the PHB, but did it with mixed success. The problems that it had were underpowered option, not overpowering ones. The arcane archer, mastermind, inquisitive, banneret, whispers bard were all cool ideas but were just incredibly weak. Nothing that broke the game, but a load of missed opportunities. Oh, and the hexblade was a conceptual mistake. If they wanted to make melee warlocks viable, they should have just fixed the damn blade pact in generic rules or via new incantations rather than shoving all the fixes into one subclass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads