• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Sourcebooks & Campaign Settings

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
There were only two books on the list that I didn't like, and both have now been eliminated. For the rest of this thread I'll just be upvoting and downvoting different levels of Awesome, so I'll be happy no matter which book wins!

Listing the survivors in order of my preference:

12. Monsters of the Multiverse
11. Sword Coast
10. Eberron
9. Ravnica
8. Tome of Foes
7. Van Richten's
6. Volo's
5. Theros
4. Fizban's
3. Xanathar's
2. Tasha's
1. Wildemount

Wildemount and Tasha's are tied for 1st place for me. The tiebreaker for me is that I prefer campaign sourcebooks over rules revisions, so I gave Wildemount a bit of an edge. Also, Wildemount just feels a little more...I dunno, honest? It feels like a little bit more love went into it than most other products.

By that same measure: Eberron, Sword Coast, and Monsters of the Multiverse were tied for last place in my opinion. But because I prefer campaign settings, I bumped MMotM to the bottom and Eberron slightly above SCAG (but I'll be downvoting whichever one has the higher score.) Again: I like all of these books, so I'm not really upset to see them doing well.

I predict the winner will be Xanathar's. It's one of the older splatbooks, so it's had more time to gain acceptance at more gaming tables and more experience within the community. That will give it a definite edge over everything else on the list, even the juggernaut Eberron (which has roots so deep they go all the way back to 3rd Edition.) And frankly: splatbooks are always going to be more popular than campaign settings. It's like, the law or something.

Last edited:

JoeyD473

Adventurer
I assume its because they had removed Alignment for that book, once Tashas is gone (for removing ASI) I'll move in that direction unless someone wants to make a pact to remove Tashas. ;)
I got rid of alignment running my first 3 game. Unlike earlier additions there is no mechanic attachment to alignment at all.

JoeyD473

Adventurer
Yes, with floating ASI, it was only a matter of time, I believe it then became the standard with Guide to Ravenloft?
no I thought it became standard with Tasha's 'll have to double check later. But I still don't use those rules personally unless creating an entirely new species

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Yes, with floating ASI, it was only a matter of time, I believe it then became the standard with Guide to Ravenloft?

...that's not the same thing as "removing ASIs." The standard is still the SRD, which hasn't changed. Tasha's Caldron of Everything adds an optional floating ASI system that you can use, that's all.

Scribe

Legend
...that's not the same thing as "removing ASIs." The standard is still the SRD, which hasn't changed. Tasha's Caldron of Everything adds an optional floating ASI system that you can use, that's all.

I disagree, and see it as the turning point after which they removed yet another element from the 5e standard, making the system even MORE bland.

That said, I dont want to derail what is a more light hearted thread. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads