D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XV: The FINAL ROUND)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Those chickens are coming home to roost...weaker subclass choices that made it into the final are starting to drop off quickly now. The Hexblade would probably still be in the running, for example, but Pact of the Fiend didn't really stand a chance.

Looks like it's gonna come down to Battle Master vs. Thief later this week. Solid choices in my opinion, but I predict a lot of folks are going to be very disappointed.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Or an expendable piñata full of XP and gold coins.
And in older editions, items and spell components. Which certainly didn't sound like an evil cultist or serial killer thing to do.

I remember the first time we downed a dragon and the experienced player goes on about all the things we could make out of the dragon and my friend was like... 'wait, didn't we have a conversation with this guy five minutes ago? And now we're talking about wearing his skin?'

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
And in older editions, items and spell components. Which certainly didn't sound like an evil cultist or serial killer thing to do.

I remember the first time we downed a dragon and the experienced player goes on about all the things we could make out of the dragon and my friend was like... 'wait, didn't we have a conversation with this guy five minutes ago? And now we're talking about wearing his skin?'
that is only strange if you think about it too much, so get to work making armour as I want to be fireproof for the next session.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Dragons are underutilized and poorly implemented in D&D, though I do enjoy their implementation in Eberron and Iomandra.
I believe a greater part of this as a lack of commitment over them being a person or a big, cunning magpie.
Or an expendable piñata full of XP and gold coins.
Agreed. It's part of why, even though I adore dragons, I've only featured a grand total of four in the entire campaign-thus-far I've run, and half of those don't actually count as true characters yet. They are:
  1. Tenryu Shen (surname first.) Shen is a gold dragon from faraway Yuxia. Strong "team dad" energy, engaged to Hafsa el-Alam (party's artificer friend/ally.) He was summoned to Al-Rakkah by the priesthood to help with a big problem, namely...
  2. ...a black dragon trying to slowly, carefully take over Al-Rakkah, making the city itself their hoard. This dragon managed to fake their death back in Yuxia (the players have learned Shen himself is the one who thought he'd killed this dragon) and has been building up their powerbase for roughly 200 years; the priesthood has only learned the dragon is there because their plans are finally taking shape to truly take over.
  3. An ancient origami dragon, which the party has learned has a "spirit dragon" bound to it. They need to learn its true name in order to call on it, but they'll be able to get a Wish from it if they can.
  4. Oleander Pierpont Mortcombe, a time dragon the party helped out of a sticky situation while dealing with a "time crash"-style Very Weird Place.
Of these, only Shen and Oleander have actually had direct appearances. The black dragon is implied to be someone the party has met, but the players don't know who it is or what they're up to precisely. They just know that they're up to no good. The origami dragon hasn't been awakened yet, so that basically doesn't count either.

As a result, my dragons are actually pretty interesting and significant. When I do something dragon-y, the players sit up and take notice, because it's not just a random generic monster. The players know I care about that stuff, and that I've made a point of not solely doing it for funsies.

Remove ads