• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conceptual Problem - Fighter vs. Ranger

Starfox

Hero
I'd be quite happy with a three-part, independent set of elements, perhaps class/archetype/theme--assuming some of the noise we have been hearing about "theme" being less about combat and more about other stuff. Then "ranger" and the like would go into the "archetype" bin, and run amuck in that vein.

You'd have some characters that were fighter/ranger/crofter and others that were fighter/paladin/noble. And since they were independent, you might do things like rogue/ranger/outlaw for someone more sneaky woodsman than otherwise, as opposed to a more typicaly rogue/thief/townsman. Sure wizard/ranger/peasant might be strange, but I suppose having that option would be a strength.

I agree with this very strongly and think you could even add a little bit of magical ability - like what the Paladin and Ranger has in 3E - to these themes. That would let us avoid the madness of classes like the Beguiler - it would simply be either a Wizard/Thief/Scoundrel or a Rogue/Dabbler/Scoundrel.

But just like Permerton, I don't think this is going to happen - it smells too much of the kits of 2e (which I like in principle, but which were very badly balanced).

Remove ads