Conversion question

Steve Jung

Explorer
I'm working on my old non-compliant conversions. I have a couple questions regarding the strictness of the conversion.
1) If a character has an item he cannot use, can I change it? I assume not.
e.g. A druid with a hammer.
2) If a spellcaster has extra spell slots after a conversion, can I add spells not in the original? Or should I just add extra copies of the spells mentioned in the module. What about domain spells?
3) If a spell or item no longer exists, must I perform a conversion? Or is a substitute allowed?
e.g. staff of striking

Thanks,
Steve

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
I guess it depends on if your going to re-release the conversion:D If that is the case then you must follow the rules for doing so. So in your example the druid keeps the hammer and the spells are just duplicated. If not then change away although the druid with a WOODEN hammer(think maul) would be ok. And who says the wizard doesn't like to stock up on the same spell:D

Grazzt

Demon Lord
If this is for your own use you can do as you please. If it is for release on the 'net, then you must follow the policy which says you cannot redesign anything for your own personal tastes (that would mean adding spells you think casters should have, weapons, etc.). You must just convert what you have.

But- you are allowed to add additional mechanical stuff if it is necessary to run the encounter in 3e. Here is the relevant passage from the conversion policy:

"All you are authorized to convert to 3E are the mechanics, themselves. For example, if an AD&D encounter describes a scene wherein the adventurers are traveling down a road when they are accosted by a group of orcs, who demand their money or their lives, followed by a stat block that details the orc party, all you are authorized to convert is the stat block. You may add any additional mechanical information necessary to run the encounter in a 3E game, aside from the stat block, but you may not include the encounter itself, or the entire adventure in which it takes place."

Another relevant passage:

"You are only granted permission to convert the ESD; you may not perform a re-design based upon personal standards and opinions. "

So, to answer your questions:

1- Maybe- it depends on the item. If it affects the encounter or outcome (like a druid wielding a weapon he can't use proficiently) then maybe as could fall under the "mechanical material necessary to run the encounter.".

2- Maybe. Adding spells could fall under the umbrella of a "redesign based upon personal standards and opinions" or it could fall under "any additional mechanical material necessary to run the encounter" (in the case of adding domain spells). I would use the following method to be safe:

Let the spellcaster memorize extra "copies" of spells he already has listed in regards to extra spell slots. Add domain spells to the clerics. That way you are safe.

3- You must convert the item. You cannot simply remove it or replace it.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Thanks for the responses. The module conversions are for the conversion library, so they need to be on the up and up. The druid is not meant to be an enemy, so I guess he'll just have a magic weapon he can't use. :) As far as the spells, I'll just add extra copies of spells to be safe and I'll give clerics their domain spells. Looks like the staff of striking is going to get a conversion.

Steve

Remove ads