• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
That summary seems almost right. I hope we can do better, though! I was just thinking that maybe we can do something with the slithering plus standing. 10 ft reach, at least.

Yes, 10-foot reach would be good.

Apart from being Neutral and having a slightly higher SR, there just isn't anything that's much different from a bigger, dumber Rockworm.

I suppose we could add something about their use in crafting enchanted maces (substitute XP cost?).

Cleon

Legend
Yes, 10-foot reach would be good.

Apart from being Neutral and having a slightly higher SR, there just isn't anything that's much different from a bigger, dumber Rockworm.

I suppose we could add something about their use in crafting enchanted maces (substitute XP cost?).

How about we break from its original description and give it some SLA or SLA-like supernatural attacks?

It's a Rocklord, so maybe it has powers to manipulate rock? A Bi-Nou has Dig, plus slow, stone shape and wall of stone SLAs and it doesn't even have a name implying dominion over stone!

Since it's got a very low Intelligence something crude would seem appropriate, like transmute rock to mud and transmute mud rock (1/day), move earth (3/day), soften earth and stone (at-will), or even the ability to create earth tremors (earthquake centered on self? 1/week?). I'm not that much in favour of an earthquake-power, although it may make an interesting last-ditch defence or retaliatory strike.

We may want to give it a high Charisma to power its supernatural abilities and give it a "Lordly Mien".

Hmm, perhaps they do not battle other Bi-Nou for possession of caverns because they use their powers to create them? After turning the rock to mud or earth they use move earth to open out a cavernous lair, then solidify it back to stone.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, dig, or an amped up version of it, would let them make caverns. It seems to me that earth glide might work well. Not positive about SLAs.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I don't think these guys are literal "lords"...just given that title for being larger and older.

Since these things are only barely sentient, I'd rather not give 'em a bunch of SLAs and increased Cha. Now a passive Su ability might work...

I'm definitely with you guys on greater reach.

And I'd love to use Cleon's "pherome communication" method instead of telepathy for these "dumb as rock" lords.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, at least 10 ft reach (maybe exceptional) and pheromone communication. What do you think about rock glide?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Earth glide appeals.

Since they are supposed to be nigh-invulnerable, perhaps they can use an ability similar to the statue spell?

Cleon

Legend
Earth glide and statue form are nice ways of differentiating these guys further. Let's use 'em.

I can dig that.:lol:

Let's make it so.

Don't mind dropping the rock-softening/shaping abilities I suggested, since I was thinking they'd be mostly for set-dressing rather than use in combat.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Here's the statue spell...

Statue
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

A statue spell turns the subject to solid stone, along with any garments and equipment worn or carried. In statue form, the subject gains hardness 8. The subject retains its own hit points.

The subject can see, hear, and smell normally, but it does not need to eat or breathe. Feeling is limited to those sensations that can affect the granite-hard substance of the individual’s body. Chipping is equal to a mere scratch, but breaking off one of the statue’s arms constitutes serious damage.

The subject of a statue spell can return to its normal state, act, and then return instantly to the statue state (a free action) if it so desires, as long as the spell duration is in effect.

Material Component: Lime, sand, and a drop of water stirred by an iron bar, such as a nail or spike.

How often should we allow it to assume this form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads