• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting the Dukes of Hell

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, stats look good. Are we dropping summon baatezu as discussed above?

Seems like a number of the points discussed upthread have not yet made it into the homebrews; should we go through and pick those out?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Well, stats look good. Are we dropping summon baatezu as discussed above?

Yes.

freyar said:
Seems like a number of the points discussed upthread have not yet made it into the homebrews; should we go through and pick those out?

Sounds like a good idea.

freyar

Ok, here's what I find upthread.

No summon baatezu.

Acid & poison skin (maybe just acid version of fire shield). Diseased bite.

SLA: pyrotechnics, produce flame, wall of fire, continual light, tongues, read magic, detect magic, detect invisibility, dispel magic, and darkness 15. radius. (modified slightly for 3e).

Fear causing touch attack (also deals acid due to skin).

Str 38, Dex 22, Con 29, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 30 suggested.

There's also a lot Kain Darkwind pointed out from Elminster in Hell.

Some of this is in homebrews, but I think the SLA list there looks a little wonky.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
No summon baatezu.

Right. We're good here.

freyar said:
Acid & poison skin (maybe just acid version of fire shield). Diseased bite.

How about an ongoing effect equal to Mestil's acid sheath?

Devil chills for the bite?

freyar said:
SLA: pyrotechnics, produce flame, wall of fire, continual light, tongues, read magic, detect magic, detect invisibility, dispel magic, and darkness 15. radius. (modified slightly for 3e).

That needs to be merged/mixed with the list in Homebrews.

freyar said:
Fear causing touch attack (also deals acid due to skin).

We can use the scarecrow's cowering touch as a prototype for the fear part.

freyar said:
Str 38, Dex 22, Con 29, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 30 suggested.

Hmmm...I'll need to backtrack to see where those stats in Homebrews came from (they don't appear to be from cut n' pasting a previous Duke).

freyar said:
There's also a lot Kain Darkwind pointed out from Elminster in Hell.

Indeed.

freyar said:
Some of this is in homebrews, but I think the SLA list there looks a little wonky.

It's a direct copy from Kain's post here.

freyar

Shade said:
How about an ongoing effect equal to Mestil's acid sheath?

Devil chills for the bite?
Mestil's acid sheath sounds about right, but I don't know that spell off hand. Devil chills seem appropriate to me, too.

We can use the scarecrow's cowering touch as a prototype for the fear part.
That, or Ambuchar Devayam's touch. Maybe we should take a look at them both.

Hmmm...I'll need to backtrack to see where those stats in Homebrews came from (they don't appear to be from cut n' pasting a previous Duke).
Here's your post.

I suggest making the SLA list as follows:

Spell-Like Abilities: Always active – true seeing; at will – baleful polymorph, continual flame, darkness, delayed blast fireball, detect magic, greater dispel magic, greater teleport, hellfire storm, produce flame, pyrotechnics, read magic, regenerate, scry, shapechange, silence 3/day – destruction, mindrape* 1/day – contingency, dimensional anchor Caster level 25th. *BoVD

I dropped see invisibility due to true seeing and tongues due to the tongues Su ability. I went with darkness rather than deeper darkness bc I think that fits the 15 ft radius better. Thoughts?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated based on the other ability scores. Fixed SLAs, too.

Here's the important parts of Mestil's acid sheath:

"You enclose yourself in a fluid sheath of acid that does not harm you. You can breathe normally and cast spells while the acid sheath is present. Any creature striking you deals normal damage, but at the same time the attacker takes 2 points of acid damage per caster level (maximum 30 points). Reach weapons, such as longspears, do not endanger their users in this way. The acid sheath does not protect you against other attack forms, such as fire. If you are in a grapple, other creatures in the grapple take acid damage once per round at the beginning of their turn."

"Any spell you cast with the acid descriptor while the sheath surrounds you deals an extra 1 point of damage per die."

Cowering Touch (Su): If a scarecrow hits with a claw attack, the victim must succeed on a DC 12 Will saving throw or cower for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Frightful Strike (Su): Any creature struck by the incorporeal touch of Ambuchar Devayam must succeed on a DC 23 Will save or cower for 1d4 rounds. Even on a successful save, the victim must make a second DC 23 Will save or be panicked for 1d4 rounds. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

freyar

Oooh, I like acid sheath, very nice. I feel like I should know where that's from, but I don't. Anyway, if we want to make use of the extra damage points, we should use energy substitution on the fireball, produce flame, etc, in his SLAs.

I think the scarecrow's cowering touch is good enough here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads