• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting the Dukes of Hell

Shade

Monster Junkie
Skills: 15 at 31 ranks
Feats: 10 (3 can be epic)

Revisiting the Monster Conversion Notes for the Dukes of Hell...

Common Feats

Common: Combat Expertise, Dark Speech, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Weapon Focus

Less Common: Combat Reflexes, Dilate Aura, Negotiator, Spring Attack, Violate Spell-Like Ability

Uncommon: Ability Focus, Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Vile Natural Attack

Common Skills

Note that skills in bold are taken by the majority of archdevils.

Appraise = mid to high ranks
Balance = low to mid ranks when used
Bluff = usually max ranks
Climb = high to max ranks when used
Concentration = mid to high ranks
Diplomacy = usually max ranks
Disguise = high ranks or synergy only
Escape Artist = few ranks
Gather Information = mid to high ranks when used
Hide = mid to high ranks
Intimidate = high to max ranks
Jump = mid to high ranks
Knowledge (arcana) = high to max ranks
Knowledge (history) = high to max ranks
Knowledge (nobility and royalty) = high to max ranks
Knowledge (religion) = high to max ranks
Knowledge (the planes) = high to max ranks
Listen = high to max ranks
Move Silently = mid to high ranks
Search = mid to high ranks
Sense Motive = high to max ranks
Spellcraft = high to max ranks
Spot = high to max ranks
Survival = synergy only
Tumble = high to max ranks
Use Rope = synergy only

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Somehow that looks intimidating.

Well, Dark Speech and Quicken SLA look like good feat choices, and I think Combat Reflexes sounds right for his personality (somehow he sounds like he'd want to take lots of AoOs). I'll ponder this more...

freyar

Ok, here's what I think of so far for the feats (and a little BUMP back to the first page):

Combat Reflexes, Dark Speech, Quicken SLA (greater teleport?), Imp Init, ?

What are Dilate Aura and Violate SLA? I'm guessing these are from BOVD.

freyar

I really ought to pick up those books sometime. I'm not sure he's got an "aura" for this, but what about giving him violate SLA on something?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I noticed we failed to give him a claw attack, yet his cowering touch is delivered by his claws. Suggested damage for the claws?

Greater teleport is too high-level to quicken. He can quicken up to 6th-level SLAs. Violate SLA lists no suggested limit, but I think it should at least follow the less restrictive Empower SLA guideline, which allows Nergal to apply it up to 8th-level spells. So maybe quicken pyrotechnics, violate delayed blast fireball?

Some other suggestions: Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Power Attack, Vile Natural Attack (bite)

freyar

Hmm, 1d8?

Figured I should have looked up greater teleport as well. :heh: The feat suggestions, including SLAs, look good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

We need 1 more feat.

Speed: 50 ft (10 squares), fly 30 ft. (x) (x=average?)

Nergal often masquerades as a human horribly misfigured by diabolic magic, appealing to the mercy of planar travelers in order to gain their trust. He then leads them into a trap, stealing anything of value and tormenting them for information he may later use to his gain.

Skills: How about Appraise 21, Bluff 31, Concentration 21, Diplomacy 31, Disguise 31, Gather Information 20, Intimidate 31, Jump 31, Knowledge (arcana) 20, Knowledge (history) 31, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 31, Knowledge (religion) 20, Knowledge (the planes) 31, Listen 20, Search 13, Sense Motive 31, Spot 20, Tumble 31?

Nergal is 9 feet tall and weighs X pounds.

freyar

If the flight's natural, then average sounds right. If magical, then let's go with good maneuverability.

Skills sound right.

How fat do you think he is? A rough middle-of-the-road estimate might be 450 lb, but my mental image is probably that he's a bit heavier for some reason.

Maybe Dire Charge for the last feat?

Shade

Monster Junkie
He's got wings, so I'm thinking natural flight. ;)

A hezrou is 750 pounds and a foot smaller. I picture him with a similar build, so maybe 800?

Dire Charge sounds good.

Double standard treasure like many of the other Dukes? Shall we give him some carried magic items, as his flavor implies he uses items to increase his power?

Remove ads