• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Curtains #3 - Problems of One's Own

Rybaer

First Post
"You...you don't know anything about the Sorcerer and Draco?" Nicole says, looking a bit perplexed.

Steven casts his spell and can feel it make good contact with Denise. He can read her surface thoughts and is also getting hints of her subconscious.

Oh, hello, she thinks back at him. A very handy spell that is. I can already tell that you're significantly beyond our powers, which is as it should be.

"Sorcerer and Draco have represented the opposite sides of magic for ages," Denise says out loud, for the benefit of everyone in the room. "According to our records, the two have always been in conflict. When one is victorious, he and his followers will hold sway over the world for some time. Ultimately, both disappear for a generation or two and then are reborn to renew the battle.

"The last time both walked the land, however, was over eight hundred years ago. Nicole and I are among the descendants of Sorcerer's followers. We've carefully tended and studied the records and spellbooks passed down through the ages. Many of us were doubtful that there was any truth to the legends, until those energy curtains swept across the world and our ability to cast spells returned.

"We've been busy since then - studying spells and looking for signs of both the Sorcerer and Draco. Nicole was the first to spot you, on the television footage from the conference a couple months back. All signs pointed toward you being the Sorcerer, but we wanted to be sure before contacting you."

Denise's thoughts generally echo her words. Steven does pick up an undertone of concern. She seems to be a bit worried that he doesn't profess to know anything about Sorcerer or Draco. She's also got a bit of fear buried deep down that Steven may be Draco, and is duping them in some elaborate plot. She doesn't believe this, but can't completely shake the feeling.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Prof. Fate, Unharmed, HP's: 4 (Bathrobe of Might)

Nicole said:
"You...you don't know anything about the Sorcerer and Draco?" Nicole says, looking a bit perplexed.
Steven slowly shook his head no. Looking to Maggie, he smiled warmly, the look in his eye regret that their morning looked to be cut short.

Nicole said:
Oh, hello, she thinks back at him. A very handy spell that is. I can already tell that you're significantly beyond our powers, which is as it should be.
'I see, how is it that you can tell I'm that advanced . . . that might be something worth knowing,' Steven thought to her.

Denise said:
" . . . We've carefully tended and studied the records and spellbooks passed down through the ages . . . ."
"That sounds like someplace to start . . . the books and records," Steven commented. "I believe I will need a lot more information about what is going on to be successful in finding Emily."

Rybaer

First Post
Jorgi sends off the message to Fate, but can tell that it's sitting unanswered in his mail.

"You must lay off the speed, man," the guy tells Jorgi from his position floating above the street. He continues to speak only in Russian.

The man glances down at the street and Jorgi immediately sees that a parked car is rising off the pavement. With a casual flick of his eyes, the man sends it flying through the air in Jorgi's direction. Jorgi has no trouble dodging the missile and gets the sense that the guy did it just to see how Jorgi would react. The car crashes into a deserted bus stop half a block away.

"Former acquaintances of yours from the Motherland feel that you cost them a great deal of money," he continues. "I believe they will settle for three million American dollars. If you do not have the money, I've been inflict that much in pain upon you."

Rybaer

First Post
Granite drops the remaining distance (probably a couple hundred feet) and lands with a resounding crack on the stone floor. Two bright flashlights, apparently bound to assault rifles, blaze directly in his eyes, dazing him momentarily.

In the fraction of a moment, something slams Granite in the chest and sends him skidding across the floor. Granite's nightvision goggles clatter away in a corner somewhere. While uninjured by the attack, whatever hit him did so with force that is bringing back memories of the fungal man.

The gun-mounted lights play back in his direction and light up a vaguely humanoid form from behind. It is tall and stands hunched over, more with power than by deformity. The way the flashlights play off its skin suggest the presence of scales. It looms over Granite as if preparing to feast.

(ooc - the creature is within 10 feet; the gunmen are at least 20 feet away in different directions; the rest of the room is too dark to make out very well.)

Rybaer

First Post
Lawrence hadn't seen Gus in a couple weeks. A quick survey of his old haunts comes up empty. Almost two hours later, and ready to give up, a stray cat gives Lawrence a very pointed look from its perch on an alley dumpster. It meows loudly at Lawrence, then trots halfway down the alley to see if he's following.

Rybaer

First Post
Keia said:
'I see, how is it that you can tell I'm that advanced . . . that might be something worth knowing,' Steven thought to her.

Well, the telepathy alone is something none of us has been able to cast successfully yet, she replies. And some of the things we saw on television and read about in the paper dwarf that by a long ways.

Keia said:
"That sounds like someplace to start . . . the books and records," Steven commented. "I believe I will need a lot more information about what is going on to be successful in finding Emily."

"If you think they'd help, we could take you to them," Nicole says, brightening considerably. "We live a couple hours upstate from here. The records are kept in hiding not far from there. I'm sure a few of the others would be eager to meet you as well."

Velmont

First Post
A cat is asking me to follow him... I don't like that. It wasn't the time for Gus to fall in trouble, I have enough of mine like that. I've two hour left... let's say one hour to get to the store... I've some time.

Lawrence starts to follow the cat. "Come on kitty. Lead me the way."

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Fate HPs: 4/4, Wearing: Bath Robe of Might.

Nicole said:
"If you think they'd help, we could take you to them," Nicole says, brightening considerably. "We live a couple hours upstate from here. The records are kept in hiding not far from there. I'm sure a few of the others would be eager to meet you as well."
"It probably couldn't hurt," Steven replied. "Allow me some time to gather some things together, make some phone calls, and . . . change out of my bath robe. Say perhaps two . . two and a half hours. Where are you staying . . . I can meet you there."

Mimic

First Post
Granite hp: 4/4 Status: ok

Granite sighs to himself, "leave it to intell to leave out the mutant lizard thing."

"I'm going to make a pair of shoes out of your hide." He taunts as he rushes in the close the gap between them attempting to grapple the creature.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads