• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 3.5 homebrew] Welcome to The Fold

Araciell

First Post
Welcome to The Fold (Homebrew D&D 3.5 CORE)
Five player campaign
Alignment: Any Non-evil
Starting Level: 1
Races/classes/equipment: PHB ONLY

I am an experienced D&D player and DM and am fairly new to PbP, and just signed up to ENWorld.

I'm looking for five DEDICATED players who are willing to play and help me create a CORE D&D setting. Basically I want to only use core rules and content and write the setting as you play through it. I am quite immovable in the expectation that my players will ONLY be using content from the PHB. There is no exception to this rule and if you don't feel as though you could play in a D&D game with no PrCs, added feats, spells or races...Then this is not the game for you.

Some other information you must know:

-All rolls completed by DM with minimal DM cheating.

-I will not railroad you, you will be parts of a world and things will happen within it. It is up to the group to find your own way. There will be no shortage of adventure, but I will not force you into a campaign I have pre-written.

-Food/water/spell components are assumed to be bought when possible, it will never be necessary to tell me you're buying them.

-Leveling: When you gain a level, you must rest to regain full hit points before the level is actually applied to your character.

-Adding skills/feats: When gaining levels, skills must be trained to be gained. That is, before you may spend any skill points accrued, you must justify their use. If your character didn't pick a single lock or take training in this skill before the level was gained, unfortunately the skill will not increase.

-Combat will be handled in a turn-based combat (think Final Fantasy) crossed with cinematic description. I will set up the scene and provide a basic diagram, but I do not like seeing pages and pages of combat maps and five foot steps in posts. A lot of people love D&D as a miniature combat game, but I like the combat system to facilitate more of something akin to a good action scene in a novel or the like. While a lot of people don't enjoy this style, I find it's the best way to play via posting, and if you get a chance to see an example:

DM: The orc is ten feet ahead of you, in the middle of the grassy field. He sneers and raises his sword and shield.
(Initiative: You 1d20+3=17 Orc 1d20+2=9)
What do you do?

Player: I charge the Orc, attacking with my sword!

DM: You run headlong at the ugly humanoid, jumping into your swing at the last moment
(Attack/damage roll: 1d20+6=16 1d8+2=6)
You manage to sweep your sword over the orc's shield and down across his shoulder. The beast lets out a snarl as blood begins to well up from the deep wound. It staggers and takes a swing in retaliation!
(Attack/damage roll: 1d20+3=7 1d8+3=11)
The swing goes wide as the brute struggles to maintain his footing, and you barely have to dodge as the blade breezes past your chest.

Obviously, things get more complicated than this, with spell effects, attacks of opportunity and the like, but rest assured it works quite well and I will always lay out the setting at the beginning, and keep track of major movements within combat, but I don't like to get bogged down with five foot steps and the like. Yes, I do know that these rules exist to simulate real combat, and I understand how they provide a good basis for fair combat, but I run combat more lax in the hope that it will run more smoothly. I know a lot of people think this makes no sense, but to me it works so long as my players have the same hope. This doesn't mean that combat takes a backseat in my game, it just means that it's not the tactical miniatures game that a lot of people play it as. If you always need to physically see the combat setup as it changes with each tiny movement, once again this will not be a game for you.

-The setting will be a 'generic' pre-gunpowder, pre-steam medium magic D&D game. I will be using the Greyhawk gods for simplicity's sake, and All CORE races and classes are playable. Once again, when I say core, I mean that as players, you will only be playing with the seven races and eleven classes presented to you. Now, rarity and knowledge of certain things work pretty intuitively in my mind, where half-orcs are rare in most cases, and humans are common. Also, druids are rare, even in the forest, and fighters would tend to be more common.

-Commoners who live in the lands are just that. They don't know much about the wide world, so to most people, dragons are big lizards who fly and eat pretty much everything, wizards can turn you into a frog if you cross them, and magic items are usually only in legends, or carried by very powerful people, or traded in big cities for many many times the amount of gold they would ever see.

Now that all that is out of the way, if you're still interested in playing, you will need to know about my character creation expectations.

We are starting at first level. Any non-evil alignments are allowed, and I encourage players to work with each other to possibly make a meshing history. For those of you who like to play as loners or have a strong instinct for party conflict, I respectfully ask you to look elsewhere. I'm not telling you how to play, I'm just saying that I don't like that style of play. A little bit of party argument and disagreement is good for role playing, but if the game degrades into the rogue trying to steal from his friends or the wizard casting damaging or hindering spells on the party, I don't enjoy the game, and odds are no one else will for very long either.

I encourage you as a player to make up a good back story and homeland for your character, and if I decide you've done well, I will reward you with some experience and/or something magical. If you can't do this, I will make something up for you, but be warned that this gives me the opportunity to mess with your character in more fun and sadistic ways.

Your starting ability scores will be derived from an array of 17,15,14,13,12,11 arranged as desired, and with me adding a certain amount of points to one ability score once you are finished. All characters will start with full HP, and your equipment will be handled as follows: You may start with any armour and weapons and gear that would be considered standard for your class. That is, anything under 100 gp is available and you may add it at will. This doesn't mean that your fighter can have ten weapons and thirty potions of cure light wounds, and if you don't know what I'm getting at with 'standard for your class', then ask and I will go into more detail. Aside from standard gear and weapons/armour, everyone will begin play with five gold pieces.

Any questions about the rules and expectations are welcome, and I look forward to starting a grand series of adventures!

I ask that you use the following character sheet format;

Name
Gender, Race, Class
Alignment

size, height, weight, age
hair, eyes, skin

Languages

Str: XX (+X)
Con: XX (+X)
Dex: XX (+X)
Int: XX (+X)
Wis: XX (+X)
Cha: XX (+X)

Hit Points:
Initiative: +X
Speed: X squares (XX feet)

Defenses

AC:
Fort:
Ref:
Will:

Attacks

+?? Melee, weapon name, damage, crit
+?? Ranged, weapon name, damage, crit, range

Skills

Feats

Racial Traits and Power

Other Class Features

Character Information

History

Personality

Appearance

Equipment

Armor (worn, ??wt)
Robe (worn, ??wt)
Outfit name (worn, ??wt)

Medium Weapon or item (belt left, ??wt)
Medium Weapon or item (belt right, ??wt)
Tiny Weapon or item (belt front, ??wt)
Tiny Weapon or item (belt rear, ??wt)
Other items attached to belt (location, ??wt)

Bow or Crossbow (left shoulder, ??wt)
Quiver or Javelin Tube (right shoulder, ??wt)
Backpack (center back, ??wt)
Bedroll (below backpack, ??wt)
Other items worn on back or shoulders (location, ??wt)

Headband, Hat, Helmet (head, ??wt)
Lenses or Goggles (eyes, ??wt)
Cloak, Cape, or Mantle (worn, ??wt)
Vest, Vestment, or Shirt (worn, ??wt)
Ring (left ??th finger, -wt)
Ring (right ??th finger, -wt)
Amulet, Brooch, Medallion, or Necklace (worn, ??wt)
Belt (worn, ??wt)
Gloves or Gauntlets (hands, ??wt)
Bracers or Bracelets (wrists, ??wt)
Boots or Slippers (feet, ??wt)
Other minor accessories (location, ??wt)

Waterskin- water (backpack, ??wt)
5 Torches (backpack, ??wt)
Flint & Steel (backpack, ??wt)
Trail Rations- 1 days (backpack, ??wt)
Other backpack contents (backpack, ??wt)

Coins- 5gp
Other pouch contents (pouch, ??wt)

Ambrus

Explorer
To be clear, is it your intent to forbid the core PC races in the Monster Manual and the prestige classes in the Dungeon Master's Guide?

Araciell

First Post
Thanks for asking, yes. When I said that players will only be using content from the PHB, I meant that they are not to use content from the other two core books.

Ambrus

Explorer
Wow. That's more core than core; that's like HARD core. I have to admit, my first instinct was to wonder if it was even feasible to make a playable character with only the material in the Player's Handbook; are there even enough spells available to fill out a wizard character's spellbook? Of course I realized immediately that, yes, it can be done; I'm just saying that the initial thought seemed alien to me. ;)

Last edited:

Araciell

First Post
Yea it puts off a lot of people at first but I find that it puts a lot of focus on the role playing and story side of the game as opposed to minmaxing or trying to be unique for uniqueness's sake. I just find that making original characters (and many of them) is totally possible with the material provided and a healthy dose of imagination. It does bother a lot of people that they can't use the myriad of material that 3.xE supports, and I know that the d20 system was designed with this in mind but the reason behind my choice here is to try and create a world with ICONIC D&D fantasy elements, and to try not to stray from these concepts.

Ambrus

Explorer
I have to admit that I usually gravitate towards more unusual character concepts so I'm having a little trouble coming up with a core character concept that appeals to me. I guess that, as a DM, I play such an endless parade of human fighters, elven rangers, and dwarven clerics and what-have-you for them to still interest me much when it comes time to play. I usually find the monsters much more intriguing to think about and roleplay. :blush:

I'll think about it for a bit.

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm. That really puts a lot of emphasis on the classes like monks and druids, which have strong core level progressions, and off of classes like sorcerors which really depend on PrC's to be interesting mechanically.

Of course, interesting mechanically is something quite distinct from interesting in character.

I do have an idea for an elf druid that might be fun for this kind of game. Let me see how it flowers and I'll post a concept.

Velmont

First Post
One thing I started to hate with 3.5 games, it was that I don't have access to the 1001 books that allow you to make a character as string as the others one who had all the books. I always favored roleplay over rollplay. I think I'll gives a try to that game.

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
Hmmm...this could be interesting. I would be interested in playing a human paladin. I'll flesh out the concept over the next couple of days and get something more concrete posted.

Velmont

First Post
[Note: All names of location can be changed as DM see fit]

Calvin Yew is the son of Irina Yew, an halfling maid working at the kitchen of the Castle Redstone. Redstone is over ten days of riding from the capitals. This plain live from the culture of wheat, the sockbreeding of cows and the quarry of red granite, who has given the name to this barony. This last ressource has given a fair level of wealth, but as also attracted some bandits and highwaymen. The castle of Redstone have a squad of knights to assure the security of the barony. It is among those brave warriors that Calvin have been raised.

When he was kid, he was spying over the knight who were training, and he was sneaking in the stable to look at those huge horses which can carry a knight in full armor. He was dreaming that when he would become tall, he would be one of them. That dream stick to his head, and he never saw the flaw in it. Being an halfing, he would never have the size nor the strength to become a knight.

Among the knigths was the young Milton. He quickly like the spirit of Calvin and even if the captain Samuel didn't like to see teh young hafling around, Milton was showing him a few tricks, like how to take care of a horse, how to maintain the equipment. He even happen to practice in sword figthing with him, using small wooden sword.

His mother always have tried to push away Calvin's dream, but she was doing it gently, fearing to harm the heart of his kid. But the one who broke his heart was his big and mean sister, Ella. She was working with her mother, and she always hate to see her young brother wandering around the knights as she had to work with her mother in the kitchen. The day she broke his dream, he go into hiding into the chapel.

That chapel was build at the honor of Heironeous. The decoration was painting and tapestry of brave deeds made by ancestors of the baron of Redstone or the King. Two beautiful but worn longsword was crossed over the altar, two swords who had changed the history of the region. In two small alcoves, there was two smaller altars, one dedicated to Pelor, and the other dedicated to Yondalla.

The young halfling was crying in a corner, praying for Heironeous to grant his wish, but the god stayed silent. He stayed there for an unkown time, but when Everett entered, it was dark. Calvin had heard Everett was able to heal by simply touching a wound, this gift granted by Heironeous, but the young halfing never had seen it, as he was using it only on the knights who was protecting the region. The young cleric gave a prayer to his god Heironeous before hearing Calvin sobbing in his corner.

The young man walk near him, and sit on the bench near him. He was looking at the two sword, leaving the young halfling in his back.

"Why are you crying?" asks Everett

Calvin remained silent a long time. He finally decide to answer, seeing the cleric wouldn't leave him. "I will never be a knight."

"You are an halfling. An heavy warhorse is too big for your kin. The longsword is a burden and the heavy plate are too bulky. You will never be like Milton, that's sure. But hold to your dream, if you are faithful to it, they will come to you. But it might not take the shape you had in mind."

Everett left him alone, where Calvin cried for a few more hours before falling asleep in the chapel. As he awoke, he found a small ear of wheat at his feat. Not sure of why it was there, he just left it on the ground and he left the chapel.

Three years after that event, Calvin was on his way to the village. It was very late in fall. There was no more crops in the field and it was covered with a soft bed of snow. For the last two years, he was a runner for the castle, delivering message to people. He had to summon George, a mason so he could do minor fix to the castle before the winter would strike hard the region. As he was running in the snow, he trip over an hidden root. He falled head first into the snow. As he removed the snow in his face, he spot an ear of wheat next to him.

Before he could wonder what it was doing there, he heard a shout for help. Calvin quickly stood up and run toward the noise. He found a young woman who was cowering before two large men. One man was holding a long sharp knife. The bandits look at the young halfling.

"Watch over the girl, I'll take care of that youngling." told the bandit with the knife. He then told Calvin. "You'll regret to have walk out of your home today."

Frozen with fear for a moment, Calvin came back to his sense just before the man strike. Calvin rolled on the ground and then grabbed tthe utility knife he had on him. Compare to the hunting knife of the bandit, his was small and puny. The bandit laugh as he saw that before trusting again at Calvin. Calvin remembered what Milton had taught him and use the sword trick he knew. His small knife was not as good as a a sword could be, but the bandit had no technic, so he was successfully avoiding to get hit. He saw he had no chance to strike at the bandit without taking a hit himself, who had a better reach. So he grabbed some snow and threw it at the bandits eye. Blinded a short moment, the bandit didn't saw the blow coming, and Calvin stabbed the bandit in the weapon's arm. The snow around the bandits started to become red and the bandit was in pain. Calvin stayed on the defensive and stared at the second man who had been watching all that. The coward decide to flew and left his wounded friend there. Calvin quickly walk to the girl. "Come, no need to stay here."

The days after, the word had spread around the castle about the deed of Calvin. Milton was congratulating him, telling he was a knight just like him, he got a few good words from other people, but not from the captain Samuel, and things quickly return to normal. A month after these event, Calvin was standing in the chapel. He stayed in front of the altar. Everett was there, cleaning the chapel.

"Why your god doesn't want me?" asked Calvin to the cleric.

"You have more valor then half the knight here. You have proven it. But you are blind. Your dreams are there in front of you, but you need to open your eyes to grab them." told Everett.

"What do you mean?" wondered Calvin. Everett smiled, and without a word, left the chapel, and left Calvin alone. Calvin stared a moment at the crossed sword. Sad to be rejected by the god, he sigh and his look falled to his feet, his eyes blinded by tears. Through the blurry vision, he saw a golden dot. He wiped his eyes and saw at his feet an ear of wheat. He grabbed it and stared a moment at the wheat. He remembered to have seen it in the snow before he had rescued the girl. He wondered a moment why it was there at that moment, and why it was there now again. He looked around and his eyes stop on the altar of Yondalla, goddess of fertility. He walked to the altar and put the wheat on it. He felt a warm sensation into his heart. His sadness disappeared and was replace by a conviction. It is then he understood. His dream was at hand, but had taken another shape. Yondalla was also the Protector. She had heard him a few years back, and she was offering his dream, if he was ready to work for it. He would become a knigth, an holy knight.

[Calvin would be a halfling paladin. I want him to go as a mounted warrior, riding a riding dog as his mount. Probably he would start on foot and will need to earn and find his mount.]

Last edited:

Remove ads