• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 3.5] Monkey's Mad Monster Mix-up! (OOC)

Myth and Legend

First Post
I vote every animal! We start with snakes and rats and finish with 1,200 year old Great Wyrms :) Every Dragon type is necessary as they have key differences in known spells and attack types. And every age category is necessary as we obviously can't start with the oldest and most powerful ones first, we need the xp and loot from the younger ones. BTW Chromatic Dragons are not until Epic levels right?

Arkhandus

First Post
My vote is to fight the animals too. On the dragons, I think I'd go with the all-ages vote too, but not sure.

I'd have posted my character yesterday, but was out and about for most of the day and then my family kept interrupting me every 5 minutes after I got home, so it took forever just to eat my dinner, even. So my PC will be posted sometime today, maybe before I go back out and about. I had everything done yesterday except the appearance and background blurbs.

Edit: No, M&L, they're probably not. We're gettin' the XP and loot for the battles we fight and that's it, I think. So whatever level we're at when we face those dragons is just the level we'll have to face them at. Ergo my vote to fight everything, in order (CR-wise....), so we're ready.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Speaking as a druid with animal affecting spells I suggest we hit the animals.:)

Will we be hunting down things and know beforehand what we are attacking or should we be prepared (as in spells prepared) for anything?

I'm torn between a big riding dog or wolf or going with the badger who I can speak with.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
You'll generally know beforehand what you're going up against, though I'm going to make you roll Knowledge checks to see how much your characters know about the critters, which will affect how well prepared you can be.

For example, if you fail your Knowledge check on the Troll, your characters won't know to bring fire and acid.

And, no, you won't be able to take 10 or 20 on those checks. ;)

Arkhandus

First Post
Edit: Just to note, I might decide over the weekend to change him back to the original half-orc version, which only entails a few stat changes.

Uthar Gravelsmasher, Male Dwarf Rogue 1, XP 0
Dark Tan Skin, Short Brown Hair, Short Brown Beard, Flinty Eyes
Age 45, Height 4'-6", Weight 190 lbs., Patron Deity: Moradin
Alignment: Neutral, Languages: Common and Dwarven

Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 6

HP 9, Nonlethal 0, AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-Footed 13
Fortitude +3, Reflex +5, Will -1, Medium-size, Speed 20 ft.
BAB +0, Grapple +4, Melee +4, Ranged +2, Initiative +2

Attacks:
Rapier +4 melee for 1d6+4 piercing or 1d6+6 piercing 2H (18-20/x2)
Sickle +4 melee for 1d6+4 slashing (20/x2)
Club +4 melee or +2 ranged for 1d6+4 bludgeoning or 1d6+6 bludgeoning 2H (20/x2, 10 ft. increment)
Rapier +2 melee for 1d6+4 piercing and sickle +2 melee for 1d6+2 slashing
Club +2 melee for 1d6+4 bludgeoning and sickle +2 melee for 1d6+2 slashing
Javelin +2 ranged for 1d6+4 damage (20/x2, 30 ft. increment)

Feats:
Two-Weapon Fighting

Skills:
Appraise +1 (1 R, +0 Int), Balance +2 (1 R, +2 Dex, -1 ACP), Climb +4 (1 R, +4 Str, -1 ACP), Disable Device +3 (3 R, +0 Int), Hide +5 (4 R, +2 Dex, -1 ACP), Jump +4 (1 R, +4 Str, -1 ACP), Listen +3 (4 R, -1 Wis), Move Silently +5 (4 R, +2 Dex, -1 ACP), Open Lock +5 (3 R, +2 Dex), Search +4 (4 R, +0 Int), Spot +3 (4 R, -1 Wis), Swim +3 (1 R, +4 Str, -2 ACP), Tumble +2 (1 R, +2 Dex, -1 ACP)

Class Features:
Rogue Proficiencies, Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding

Racial Traits:
Darkvision 60 ft., Stonecunning (+2 Search regarding unusual stonework, auto-Search for it within 10 ft., sense depth underground), ignore speed reductions from armor/load, dwarven urgrosh and waraxe are considered martial, +4 stability to resist bull rushes/trips on solid ground, +2 on saves against spells and spell-like effects, +2 on saves against poison, +1 on attack rolls versus orcs and goblinoids, +4 dodge AC versus giants, +2 on Craft and Appraise checks for metal or stone, favored class: Fighter

Possessions:
Rapier (20 gp, 2 lbs., one-handed melee), Sickle (6 gp, 2 lbs., light melee), Club (0 gp, 3 lbs., one-handed melee), Dwarven Waraxe (30 gp, 8 lbs.), 5 Javelins (5 gp, 10 lbs., ranged thrown), Studded Leather Armor (25 gp, 20 lbs., light, +3 AC, +5 MDB, -1 ACP, 15% ASF), Traveler's Outfit (free, worn), Backpack (2 gp, 2 lbs.), 2 Belt Pouches (2 gp, 1 lb.), Thieves' Tools (30 gp, 1 lb.), Bedroll (1 sp, 5 lbs.), Flint and Steel (1 gp, 0 lbs.), 2 Trail Rations (1 gp, 2 lbs.), 2 Waterskins (2 gp, 8 lbs.), 0 gp, 8 sp, 10 cp

Load 64 lbs., Light 0-100, Medium 101-200, Heavy 201-300

Appearance:
Uthar is somewhat tall for a dwarf, standing roughly 4 and a half feet tall, burly and tough yet not as stout as many dwarves. His skin has a few small but obvious scars, including a triangular one on his left cheek. He looks to be what dwarves would consider slightly handsome, but this is marred by the almost perpetual scowl he wears. When he isn't scowling, he just looks mildly annoyed or bored.

Uthar's skin is a dark tan in shade, marking him as one of the hill dwarves who spends too much time above ground, from a clan that spends too much time aboveground. His brown hair is kept short and roughly cut, and his beard is also worn unusually short for a dwarf, shorn just a few inches from his chin and jawline. Eyes of flinty gray stare back coldly at anyone who bothers to deal with the dwarf. A broad-rimmed hat usually covers the dwarf's head, and sturdy black leather boots protect his feet.

He wears leather armor with a few small plates of steel bolted on over the shoulders, forearms, forelegs, shoulderblades, and chest. A slender sword is sheathed sidelong at the left side of his belt, while a reinforced and sharpened farmer's sickle hangs from the other side, pouches hanging beside each. A cudgel is loosely strapped to the outer side of his right leg, and a broad-headed axe is strapped to his back, wrapped in leather. A brace of javelins is also slung over his back on a simple bandolier, while a backpack covers the axe and the rest of his back. In bad weather, he pulls a hooded cloak out of his pack and wears it overtop, the hat taking its place in the dwarf's backpack.

Background:
Uthar Gravelsmasher is a very dissatisfied young dwarf trying to find his place in the world. Never showing much patience or enthusiasm for craftsmanship or other good old-fashioned dwarven professions, not to mention being a little more insufferable than your average dwarf, Uthar drifted from one thing to another. Despite his dulled sense of compassion making him a potential soldier, Uthar could never manage the respectful or dutiful behavior and discipline needed for such a profession. He quickly dropped it as an option and moved on.

Naturally more nimble and deft of hand than most dwarves, Uthar developed ambidexterity as a child and began to ply his deft touch towards unsavory means as an adolescent, sneaking off with the few other troublemaking youths in his community to steal and pull off stunts just to flaunt their limited freedom from the strictures of dwarven society. By adulthood, still without a profession and now a gross embarressment to the Gravelsmasher clan (a long line of soldiers, siege engineers, sappers, and roadbuilders among the local hill dwarves), Uthar set off on his own after one last heist with his fellow young scoundrels. The only thing of personal importance he brought along was his great-grandfather Rulgath's old waraxe, which Uthar had never really learned to use anyway.

After a few years of wandering and minor thievery, he ran into some strange folks at a roadside inn, and somehow or another he got it in his head that it might be profitable to work with these strangers, despite the silly idealism and spirituality of some. Uthar never had much use for religion, though like most dwarves he at least paid lip service to the Soulforger and held some faint belief in Moradin's importance. Not that the slightest twinges of conscience interfered with Uthar doing whatever he needed to survive, prosper, and find his way in the world. It's not that he doesn't care about anyone, or society in general, but rather that he just doesn't see the significance of many things.

Last edited:

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Two dwarves, a gnome and a human. Should be interesting. :D

I'll wait until Monday (to give everyone a chance to look over their characters and change anything last minute) to inspect stats and get the IC started up.

renau1g

First Post
Speaking as a druid with animal affecting spells I suggest we hit the animals.:)

Will we be hunting down things and know beforehand what we are attacking or should we be prepared (as in spells prepared) for anything?

I'm torn between a big riding dog or wolf or going with the badger who I can speak with.

This works for me as well.

I am always partial to the wolf myself, I love that it can trip up the enemies :)

Remove ads