D&D (2024) D&D 5.11 - the time of big change is over

mamba

Legend
You may not have liked it, but I did and thought it was well done.
it missed options to tag onto the statblock, like a poison sting, spider climb, jump attack, ...

But if a huge number of write in comments to a option that has lukewarm reception is "I will never play a game with a template based Druid" (which I did see online), that's a good qualitative indicator that pushing templates will just tick off a sizeable number of people. So, not worth pursuing.
Either a 70+ approval rating is enough or it isn't. If 10% get WotC to do something by writing 'I will never play a Druid unless you do / do not do X', then why bother with a margin at all.

You will find all kinds of comments online, if that were what WotC goes by, they can never do anything because someone is always upset, no matter what.

To me WotC botched the proposal and that may have resulted in us not getting things I would have liked seeing, we will never know for sure. Oh well, I have griped enough now ;)

Last edited:

With the wildshape templates I could see what they were trying to do and I thought it was a good idea. I think it could have been built upon. Since it didn't survive I can only assume the majority didn't like it. I felt like it should have been an option sort of like the suggested spells in the character options. I can see how some people would like to stick with monster stats. I see both points of view on it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Either a 70+ approval rating is enough or it isn't. If 10% get WotC to do something by writing 'I will never play a Druid unless you do / do not do X', then why bother with a margin at all.
It probably didn't get bear a 70%. But the qualitative responses indicate, based on what Crawford said, the iterating on templates was a dead end. So they didn't. If they determine they will never get 30% down a particular path...best to stop and turn around.

the only thing you can really assume is that at least 31% did not like it, as it needed 70% approval to pass. A majority of 50.1+ percent might have actually liked it. Not sure we got the numbers on that
I don't think we got numbers per se, but in the video going over survey feedback for the Druid, Crawford mentioned that opinions on Wildshape were split, with a bit less than half liking the playtest version and a bit more than half disliking it.

He also said that sentiments were rather strong in each direction - by and large, people seemingly either loved it or loathed it, with little middle ground.

Video for reference:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don't think we got numbers per se, but in the video going over survey feedback for the Druid, Crawford mentioned that opinions on Wildshape were split, with a bit more than less than half liking the playtest version and a bit more than half disliking it.

He also said that sentiments were rather strong in each direction - by and large, people seemingly either loved it or loathed it, with little middle ground.
The fact that the templates themselves were mathematically awful almost certainly skewed the numbers too. Those templates were designed to be rejected.

mamba

Legend
In a case like this (even split, strong opinions on both sides), I’d like them to offer both options.

If no option can please (let alone delight ;) ) 70+ percent, then maybe there should not be one option only. Keep the original as the default, offer the other one as an option.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In a case like this (even split, strong opinions on both sides), I’d like them to offer both options.

If no option can please (let alone delight ;) ) 70+ percent, then maybe there should not be one option only. Keep the original as the default, offer the other one as an option.
Honestly, the changes they introduced here probably get the job done, amd then some: eliminate mid-c9mbat book flipping.

Honestly, the changes they introduced here probably get the job done, amd then some: eliminate mid-c9mbat book flipping.
Yeah, no-one is more ready to criticise WotC's design than me, but it seems like the current playtest packet effort, whilst little a bit too WoW-esque a couple of odd ways, is basically an extremely good design. Asking people to pick 3 specific forms initially means they'll write them down, or really quickly learn in the books where they are, which means 90% of the issue there is gone.

Yeah, no-one is more ready to criticise WotC's design than me, but it seems like the current playtest packet effort, whilst little a bit too WoW-esque a couple of odd ways, is basically an extremely good design. Asking people to pick 3 specific forms initially means they'll write them down, or really quickly learn in the books where they are, which means 90% of the issue there is gone.
What do you find WoW-esque if you don't mind me asking?

Remove ads